Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently installed on a new Ruger No.1-A, in .275 Rigby, a Kepplinger single set trigger I had used on another rifle years ago. Compared to the original four pound trigger on the new No.1, the Kepplinger is simply breathtaking. Unset, its pull weight is one and a half pounds (not adjustable), but with a fairly long pull before it releases the hammer (sort of like a really, really light double-action on a revolver), so it's not as dangerous as it sounds. But, when it is pushed forward to set, it doesn't even make the minimum on my scale, though it did move the pointer just slightly. I estimate two ounces. I previously had it on a No.1-V .223, which is why I had it adjusted so light (just heavy enough it wouldn't go off when I firmly smacked the side of the butt with my hand or the recoil pad against the floor). I could adjust it up some. But, with anything below 8 ounces, I don't know that it really makes much difference to safe gun handling. So, I'll reserve the set feature for use only in those limited hunting situations requiring a slow, deliberate, precision shot. Another Kepplinger trigger I had on a No.1-A .30-06 went with the rifle when I sold it to a friend. It was also one and a half pounds unset, but I had it adjusted to about six ounces when set. With either one, there was never much worry of jerking the trigger.

I think I saw that Kepplinger single set triggers for Ruger No.1 and No.3 rifles were still available not too long ago. I'm sure glad I kept one.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had one of those installed on a ruger #1 22PPC varmint barrel gun. It was a great trigger, but the rifle remained a poor one in the accuracy. In my case, it was a lipstick on a pig situation.

NRA Patron
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
I had one of those installed on a ruger #1 22PPC varmint barrel gun. It was a great trigger, but the rifle remained a poor one in the accuracy. In my case, it was a lipstick on a pig situation.

Hope you removed the lipstick before the pig went to market.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one of their triggers on a Mauser switched over to a 240 Weatherby. Very nice trigger. Would like to do one on No 1 V in 22-250.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/18/17.

1Minute
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have one of their triggers on a Mauser switched over to a 240 Weatherby. Very nice trigger. Would like to do one on No 1 V in 22-250.

You may be disappointed with it on a 1-V rodent rifle fired over bags or using a bipod (as I was), because the Kepplinger No.1 set trigger increases lock time enough you can actually hear it when dry firing as "ka-lunk," allowing time for moving slightly off aim between trigger break and ignition if your follow-through isn't perfect. It's much more at home on a 1-A or 1-S used as a stalking rifle for bigger targets.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Exchipy
I recently installed on a new Ruger No.1-A, in .275 Rigby, a Kepplinger single set trigger I had used on another rifle years ago. Compared to the original four pound trigger on the new No.1, the Kepplinger is simply breathtaking. Unset, its pull weight is one and a half pounds (not adjustable), but with a fairly long pull before it releases the hammer (sort of like a really, really light double-action on a revolver), so it's not as dangerous as it sounds. But, when it is pushed forward to set, it doesn't even make the minimum on my scale, though it did move the pointer just slightly. I estimate two ounces. I previously had it on a No.1-V .223, which is why I had it adjusted so light (just heavy enough it wouldn't go off when I firmly smacked the side of the butt with my hand or the recoil pad against the floor). I could adjust it up some. But, with anything below 8 ounces, I don't know that it really makes much difference to safe gun handling. So, I'll reserve the set feature for use only in those limited hunting situations requiring a slow, deliberate, precision shot. Another Kepplinger trigger I had on a No.1-A .30-06 went with the rifle when I sold it to a friend. It was also one and a half pounds unset, but I had it adjusted to about six ounces when set. With either one, there was never much worry of jerking the trigger.

I think I saw that Kepplinger single set triggers for Ruger No.1 and No.3 rifles were still available not too long ago. I'm sure glad I kept one.

Sounds like my 1-A, an older red pad model I rescued from a gun show. Metal and barrel was excellent, stock looked horrible, the finish totally clouded and missing in spots giving a few hints of what was under the mess. A lot of careful scraping and I ended up with one with very good wood. I also installed a Kepplinger on it and think it's an ideal trigger for that little rifle. I cannot remember the pull weights, I use a Timney mechanical gauge, and the minimum it registers is 8 oz. I think mine came in a little heavier, but not much. I did make the unset pull much smoother and lighter by polishing the top bow of the Kepplinger housing to a mirror finish, and stoning the sear bar it contacts to a smooth finish also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.