Hop To
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In memory of my mother.

Several years back my mother and stepfather bought me my first handgun. It is a law enforcement surplus Glock 19.

After her passing I knew that I'd most likely never part with the gun. So I thought about something special and memorable to do with it to make it unique for my future generations.

May I present to you "The Shepherd".

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_183002_zpsr6pbybpw.jpg.html][Linked Image]
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_182951_zpsoyq8ljsn.jpg.html][Linked Image]
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_182936_zpslly3ib0v.jpg.html][Linked Image]

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The artwork is cool.

I assume you don't intend to shoot it much though? You made some real nice places for that slide to crack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doubt it would crack. Except the bottom corners on the side cuts there are no risers. The through cuts behind the front sight are I'm a low stress area. Enough mass removed to affect spring requirements?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like that - A transformation, very special and meaningful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBig1
In memory of my mother.

Several years back my mother and stepfather bought me my first handgun. It is a law enforcement surplus Glock 19.

After her passing I knew that I'd most likely never part with the gun. So I thought about something special and memorable to do with it to make it unique for my future generations.

May I present to you "The Shepherd".

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_183002_zpsr6pbybpw.jpg.html][Linked Image]
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_182951_zpsoyq8ljsn.jpg.html][Linked Image]
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20170614_182936_zpslly3ib0v.jpg.html][Linked Image]

So that's your first handgun...perhaps your first custom handgun as well???

Well done sir!!

I absolutely LOVE what you have done (or had done). Love the Celtic theme, the milled in "cross". Such a very cool vision you had for your pistol. There's an heirloom quality pistol that is also completely practical.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glock-19 = great gun.
My thoughts.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
The artwork is cool.

I assume you don't intend to shoot it much though? You made some real nice places for that slide to crack.

I actually do intend on shooting it. It's going to become my primary carry gun. I wasn't worried about anything until you said it. LOL

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Doubt it would crack. Except the bottom corners on the side cuts there are no risers. The through cuts behind the front sight are I'm a low stress area. Enough mass removed to affect spring requirements?

I shot it last night and it didn't seem any different to me. It still shot like a dream.

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[/quote]So that's your first handgun...perhaps your first custom handgun as well???

Well done sir!!

I absolutely LOVE what you have done (or had done). Love the Celtic theme, the milled in "cross". Such a very cool vision you had for your pistol. There's an heirloom quality pistol that is also completely practical. [/quote]

Yes, definitely my first custom handgun also. I have to dispel any notion that I came up with this idea as I'm not that creative. I saw it online and ordered it to be done. But you're right, I did it in hopes that it would become an heirloom and not just some black gun to my future generations.

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Glock-19 = great gun.
My thoughts.

I absolutely LOVE the G19. It's funny, I've had it for years but only truly fell in love with it about 2 months ago when I became more accurate with it by changing some shooting techniques. Now I'm deeply in love and don't know if I'll ever get anything else.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Glock-19 = great gun.
My thoughts.

I absolutely LOVE the G19. It's funny, I've had it for years but only truly fell in love with it about 2 months ago when I became more accurate with it by changing some shooting techniques. Now I'm deeply in love and don't know if I'll ever get anything else.

I had a similar revelation when I just decided a few years ago to make a concerted effort to learn how best to shoot the Glock 17. Once I figured it out, and got my technique down right, it became my favorite handgun and my daily carry.

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Glock-19 = great gun.
My thoughts.

I had a similar revelation when I just decided a few years ago to make a concerted effort to learn how best to shoot the Glock 17. Once I figured it out, and got my technique down right, it became my favorite handgun and my daily carry.

It's funny how that works. Unfortunately I bought a Shield 9 about two months ago, and it wasn't until right after I'd bought it that I had this revelation. I guess I'll think about selling the Shield now and possibly picking up another 19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful job Sir, an heirloom for sure.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just an aside, dry firing my Glock and watching Robert Vogel videos really made the transition from other handguns to a Glock night and day. I can't believe how accurate my little G43 is and will probably buy a 19 at some point.

To the OP, that is a a great tribute to your mom!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Just an aside, dry firing my Glock and watching Robert Vogel videos really made the transition from other handguns to a Glock night and day. I can't believe how accurate my little G43 is and will probably buy a 19 at some point.

To the OP, that is a a great tribute to your mom!

Thanks Sako, I know that it made my stepdad cry because he told me.

As for the videos, I do believe that I'll be checking them out tonight. I appreciate the heads up. I'm always looking to upgrade my shooting game.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Did you have to install a heavier spring to slow down slide velocity?

RS

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Did you have to install a heavier spring to slow down slide velocity?

RS

I haven't yet. I really haven't noticed anything different but then again I'm new to all of this modification stuff so I probably wouldn't know what to look for anyways. As far as shooting, if it matters, I wasn't having any jams or anything such as that. Everything cycled well.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The artwork is cool.

I actually do intend on shooting it. It's going to become my primary carry gun. I wasn't worried about anything until you said it. LOL

Just shoot it a bunch and keep an eye on it then. You'll want to regularly inspect the sides of the slide where it's thinnest from the arms of the cross; that's where it'd most likely crack if it's going to. Better to catch it during practice than when you really need it.
Actually, on second look, better keep an eye on all four points of the cross; the area at the front of the ejection port takes a beating and could eventually crack there too; just watch it closely.

To be clear, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy; I've spent the last 20 years in durability testing and a big part of that is predicting and finding cracks in steel parts, much like your slide. Just commenting based on my experience there.

It does look good though, no doubt about that. Did you have it done with a laser engraver, or CNC milling? I like the aged metal appearance too, is that a surface patina or a coating like cerakote?

Last edited by Yondering; 06/15/17.
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The artwork is cool.

Just shoot it a bunch and keep an eye on it then. You'll want to regularly inspect the sides of the slide where it's thinnest from the arms of the cross; that's where it'd most likely crack if it's going to. Better to catch it during practice than when you really need it.
Actually, on second look, better keep an eye on all four points of the cross; the area at the front of the ejection port takes a beating and could eventually crack there too; just watch it closely.

To be clear, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy; I've spent the last 20 years in durability testing and a big part of that is predicting and finding cracks in steel parts, much like your slide. Just commenting based on my experience there.

It does look good though, no doubt about that. Did you have it done with a laser engraver, or CNC milling? I like the aged metal appearance too, is that a surface patina or a coating like cerakote?

Yonderling, you're not offending me. I appreciate the input and advice. That's actually something that I had not thought about.

I don't know how they did it. The coating is Cerakote and then it looks as if they hit it with some steel wool to give it the battle worn look.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.