Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jimmyp
but yondering I love the conversations, its more fun sometimes than arguing with my friends at deer camp! I have had a couple of 10's myself and would consider the 40MOS in the future. Right now I am doing things backwards got the powder, dies, getting ready to buy 500 170 grain LSWC missouri coated bullets.

Serious question though, I had avoided the glock 40's for a while due to the issue of more of them blowing up than 9mm's, did someone say that the cases are better supported these days?

might look at a barrel replacement, more support in the web area, and rifled--- both a big plus

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Etoh

might look at a barrel replacement, more support in the web area, and rifled--- both a big plus

Not really.

The quality of more recent Glock barrels is excellent, and better than most of the aftermarket barrels out there, and as I said earlier, have better case support than older barrels. The rifling thing is just inexperience talking; too many people repeat that same dumb stuff they read online.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The quality of your Glocks may have been excellent but not the case here, have problem with leading with the polys.

Not really much experience with glocks though, had to slow down a lot getting older. Used to run 50k thru them a year during competitive years. Had one of the first 40s out, won several state IPSC champions in A class. Down to 12-15k now.
only kept a couple 21,19,34,35,37,38,17,23, 17L.

by your comments I would guess your in the 100k group

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just occurred--- probably talking apples and oranges here

Im guessing your talking about mostly jacketed bullets.

Im talking about hard cast lead which I buy 10k to 25k at a time trying to get uniformity throughout the lot. In most cases were I used the guns for competitive shooting, a replacement barrel helped.

speaking about internet ---- I invite you to drop over to Brianenos.com and post your suggestion about Glock barrels, etc. and see what their inexperience says.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I love this place, reminds me of that movie "the burbs". ETOH you have seen problems shooting coated brinell 18 hard cast bullets?

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
thank you I love specific questions, have a really hard time with double negatives, gerunds, rhetoricals, and present perfect tenses.

haven't shot enough to have a solid opinion.

most I shoot aren't coated.

Last edited by Etoh; 06/17/17.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Etoh
Just occurred--- probably talking apples and oranges here

Im guessing your talking about mostly jacketed bullets.

Im talking about hard cast lead which I buy 10k to 25k at a time trying to get uniformity throughout the lot. In most cases were I used the guns for competitive shooting, a replacement barrel helped.

speaking about internet ---- I invite you to drop over to Brianenos.com and post your suggestion about Glock barrels, etc. and see what their inexperience says.

99% of what I shoot in handguns is cast. I don't buy them, I make them. There are some basic requirements to make cast bullets work really well in any barrel, and a lot of commercial cast bullets don't measure up. Not to mention a lot of cast bullet reloaders don't bother making sure their bullets fit the bore.

If you have leading in a Glock barrel, 9 times out of 10 it's your bullet and/or loading practices, not the barrel. Every load I've found that leads OEM Glock barrels also leads aftermarket barrels. Do you know what your Glock bores measure, and are you buying bullets appropriate for that? Or just buying whatever the manufacturer has?

I'm not claiming Glock barrels are dummy proof, but they are generally very good, including for cast bullets.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/18/17.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I buy Missouri coated bullets, that are brienell 18, they have done most excellent in my 44 magnum, their 170 grain .401 diameter coated SWC is my choice for a Glock barrel in 40SW. Thoughts?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Anyone use Longshot to reload the 40SW?

Looking at Hogdon load data with a 40SW and a 4 inch barrel you can get 1160FPS at 32,350 PSI using 8.0 grains, interestingly the 10mm with 9.5 grains of same powder and 5 inch barrel only give 1287FPS with the XTP at 34,600PSI. Longshot looks like a good powder for this bullet weight.

Interesting you can get 90% of the velocity with 50% of the pistol weight using a 40SW in this bullet weight.

According to Hodgdon data, you can get 1139 fps with a 185 grain bullet at only 19,700 psi in a .45 auto. Pretty much the same velocity with a slightly larger bullet. You can get 1142 fps with a 200 grain cast SWC in a .45 auto, surpassing the 40SW in your example.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
but yondering I love the conversations, its more fun sometimes than arguing with my friends at deer camp! I have had a couple of 10's myself and would consider the 40MOS in the future. Right now I am doing things backwards got the powder, dies, getting ready to buy 500 170 grain LSWC missouri coated bullets.

Serious question though, I had avoided the glock 40's for a while due to the issue of more of them blowing up than 9mm's, did someone say that the cases are better supported these days?

Not that I can remember. The cases are better supported by most aftermarket barrels.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I buy Missouri coated bullets, that are brienell 18, they have done most excellent in my 44 magnum, their 170 grain .401 diameter coated SWC is my choice for a Glock barrel in 40SW. Thoughts?

The coated bullets are generally pretty forgiving and often work well even when the size and hardness isn't quite right. The .40 bullet you mention will work great in most barrels since it's coated, but still best to slug yours to be sure. It only takes a minute; I like to use soft lead muzzleloader round balls, and drive them into the barrel with an aluminum rod. Measure the resulting diameter of the lead slug, and buy bullets at least .001" larger, .002"-.003" larger is fine too as long as the loaded round isn't too fat for the chamber.

For a bare lead bullet, that 18 Brinell is a bit hard, and if your barrel slugs at .401", it's gonna lead with a .401" bullet. If it's .400" or smaller, it'll generally shoot OK. Biggest .40 cal barrel I had was a Beretta 96, at .403", it wouldn't shoot any commercial cast bullets without severe leading.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/19/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Anyone use Longshot to reload the 40SW?

Looking at Hogdon load data with a 40SW and a 4 inch barrel you can get 1160FPS at 32,350 PSI using 8.0 grains, interestingly the 10mm with 9.5 grains of same powder and 5 inch barrel only give 1287FPS with the XTP at 34,600PSI. Longshot looks like a good powder for this bullet weight.

Interesting you can get 90% of the velocity with 50% of the pistol weight using a 40SW in this bullet weight.

The take-away for me is that perhaps Longshot is not the best powder for 10mm with that particular bullet.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
The take-away for me is that perhaps Longshot is not the best powder for 10mm with that particular bullet.

You are right. Longshot will work if you are looking for a mid-range load but it is too fast for heavier loads in the 10mm. The 10mm has about twice the available space for powder with a 200 grain bullet compared to the 40 so a slower powder is needed to get real 10mm loads. Blue Dot works on the lower end and AA9 has performed the best for me when velocity is needed with the 180s and up. Even Blue Dot is slower than Longshot. It just depends what you want the 10 to do because it is versatile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've shot several boxes of MBC's plain, cast version of that bullet through Glocks & M&P's. A very accurate bullet that at 900 fps will through & through a big groundhog longways and kill him instantly. .

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

125 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 13 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.