Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looking to trade a 1975 JD 4430 and a 1967 3020 with loader on a newer 4x4 cab tractor with loader. I am a John Deere fan but am not wild about the newer models. Am considering JD and other brands, even Mahindra. What I'd really like to find is a low hour John Deere 7220. They were built in the US and have no emission control systems. Plus, they are 6 cylinder. They are hard to find and are expensive. Any and all info appreciated but practical experience trumps hearsay. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anson, curious to hear what people recommend.

We are also looking for a 100hp utility tractor. Thinking about a JD 6410, 6420, 6430, etc..

Very hard to find locally.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have CASE MXU 125 FRONT WHEEL ASSIST WITH LOADER GOOD TRACTOR SO FAR 2800 HOURS OR SO ON IT NOW. FOUR CYLINDER TURBO CHARGED.BROTHER HAD A 5525 DEERE ALSO,IT WAS OPEN STATION HAD GOOD POWER.FRONT WHEEL ASSIST SURE MAKES A LOADER TRACTOR A LOT MORE USEFUL.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A guy a couple of places over from us bought a big Kubota M series a couple of years ago. I don't have the model number memorized but he said it was a bit over 100 hp. He raises a lot of alfalfa and, according to him, it is the best farming tractor he has ever owned. He doesn't have any stock but I don't know why it wouldn't be a good feed tractor and it would pull a manure spreader easily. If there is a downside to a big Kubota it might be resale but other than that it seems to be a very good unit. If you have a good dealer in the area might be worth seeing how it compares with some of the JD in that size range.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah getting to be a lot of kubota tractors around here also uncle has a 105-s he just loves the crap out of it

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happen to like the NH brand, and that's what I'll probably look at first if and when I trade again. Deere's are hard to beat, but I could just never quite come to the point of buying one. I guess the green of my money meant more than the green paint. My neighbor has a 125 hp Case-IH and really likes it. Also, around here, the Kubota M series are pretty popular.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 100hp Case Farmall that has 1000 hours on it, and a 45hp Mahindra w/ 500 hrs.

The Case has been a good tractor, and sees some rough use. Not much problems with major stuff on it, but have had issues with minor repairs. Some of the issues are most likely due to the way I use the tractor. Shredding through thick brush isn't real easy on a tractor. Mostly just a wire here and there that gets snagged and pulled loose. Fuel tank leak from a stress crack that should not have happened. Most likely a weak spot in the tank when molded.

My Mahindra on the other hand has been a surprise.

No functional issues at all. And it gets used hard, or harder than my Case. An interesting encounter at the Mahindra dealer the other day when I was buying new fan belts and oil filter for the Mahindra... There was an older guy at the parts counter buying parts for a NH tractor. He turned out to be a tractor mechanic with his own business... He heard me ask for Mahindra parts and said that people call him to come fix tractors all over a 100 radius. He had never worked on a Mahindra tractor.

The parts guy said the service dept. there didn't get one in to work on them often either.

That made me feel pretty good about my tough little tractor. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

....There was an older guy at the parts counter buying parts for a NH tractor. He turned out to be a tractor mechanic with his own business... He heard me ask for Mahindra parts and said that people call him to come fix tractors all over a 100 radius. He had never worked on a Mahindra tractor.

The parts guy said the service dept. there didn't get one in to work on them often either. .....

Interesting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have quite a few of those tractors down here too. And dealers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Put your money in your old iron.....not new plastic....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

Both my New Hollands have plastic fenders. They are broke in several places, something that rarely ever happened on the old metal fenders. The cab tractor seems to have better plastic on it than does the little tractor, but that's not a help the way I use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admit that I've never owned or operated a Mahindra tractor. There are a few around here, with there being a Mahindra dealer. I know several people who have them, and have heard mixed reviews. One fellow I know swears by his, although he will be the first to tell you that parts are expensive and can be hard to get when needed. Another man was last heard cussing the dealer for selling him junk, and then not standing behind it. They seem to be very popular worldwide, so I'm guessing there must be something good about them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I admit that I've never owned or operated a Mahindra tractor. There are a few around here, with there being a Mahindra dealer. I know several people who have them, and have heard mixed reviews. One fellow I know swears by his, although he will be the first to tell you that parts are expensive and can be hard to get when needed. Another man was last heard cussing the dealer for selling him junk, and then not standing behind it. They seem to be very popular worldwide, so I'm guessing there must be something good about them.

My experience has been about like a car dealer/service experience.

I needed a new alternator for the Mahindra because the pully connector was wallowed out due to a belt breaking, but not all the way..(It wobbled enough at a bad angle to wallow out the pully.)

Dealer wanted over $600 for a new alternator. frown

Took it to the alternator rebuild shop and they said the dealer was right, it couldn't be fixed. But they could order me a new one with a steel pully for $175.... "Do it!" laugh

After my pickups run out of warranty, I don't take them back to the dealer for anything either. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Yesterday I looked at a new Mahindra 105S tractor with self leveling loader. It appears to be a heavy built tractor but has way too much plastic for me. A little crude in the transmission shifting, all manual. That actually is probably a good thing. I intend to look a Kubota also.

My neighbor has a 2013 Case IH Maxxum 125 that I have put about 200 hours on moving big round bales and mowing his pastures with a 20 foot HX20 John Deere brush hog. It has been a really good machine with very few problems. It also has a 6 cylinder engine, very smooth. The cab and features on it are the same as a New Holland, not sure which model. My concern with this tractor is all the electrical components. The transmission is all electric shift. It is very easy to use, but I wonder about long term reliability. It also uses Def Fluid. The cab on the Case IH is nicer than on the D,E and M models John Deeres. It's on par with the R JD, the expensive one. I like the manual nature of the D and E model JD but have been told by a JD service manager that the D means "don't". He said they have had lots of problems with them. I know some of them have a dry disc PTO clutch and a cast iron draw bar housing. I don't want either one of those things on a tractor.

Sam, I don't know where you are located. What dealers are around there? There is a 6430 for sale about 45 miles from me but I'm in NW Missouri. It's at B&T Tractors. Look on Tractor House too, plus Machinery Pete.

http://www.bnttractor.com/default.htm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Avoid the E class JD's as well.

They all have the damn plastic now. All of them. I think my Mahindra as more metal than anything, but it's like a 2012.

I believe they ALL have the damn DEF too now... frown

My Case was the last without it. Sure glad. smile

Both of mine are shuttle shift operated. The Case is electronic shuttle shift, and the Mahindra is manual. Both work really well.

Stay away from the hydro-static driven tractors if you ever road your tractor much. Roading one with a hydrostatic transmission will damage it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

This is pretty much it....

But when the newer stuff works it sure is nice!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I asked about all the plastic on my Case when I bought it.

The manager said it's not really typical plastic... That it was made from soybeans and some other farmed products.

I thought that was funny! smile

Not that I cared what the plastic was made from, but I reckon a soybean farmer might... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Our two main crops here are soybeans and corn. I didn't know you could make plastic from them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plant based oils are hydrocarbons. If you polymerize them you'll get a plastic. I don't know if it makes anymore sense to convert food into plastic than it does to fuel, but there is a market for "eco friendly" materials.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda a little off subject, but a friend just bought a IH 856. Runs like a top, everything works, new hoses on hydraulics, good tires, 1 owner and my friend knows the fellow he bought it from. Needs paint. Main thing he will do with, is to pull a 15' batwing bush hog.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Kinda a little off subject, but a friend just bought a IH 856. Runs like a top, everything works, new hoses on hydraulics, good tires, 1 owner and my friend knows the fellow he bought it from. Needs paint. Main thing he will do with, is to pull a 15' batwing bush hog.

That'll do it! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The original Henry Ford liked soybeans, and pushed to use bean oil to make plastic.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

In 2010.......bought a new CK35 Kioti......4x4 gear.........with loader & extra imp's

now only 325 hrs...been flawless........

http://www.kioti.com/products/tractors/px-series/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by sjphillips
Have CASE MXU 125 FRONT WHEEL ASSIST WITH LOADER GOOD TRACTOR SO FAR 2800 HOURS OR SO ON IT NOW. FOUR CYLINDER TURBO CHARGED.BROTHER HAD A 5525 DEERE ALSO,IT WAS OPEN STATION HAD GOOD POWER.FRONT WHEEL ASSIST SURE MAKES A LOADER TRACTOR A LOT MORE USEFUL.

Tractor Data shows a 6 cylinder engine, if this is the same model. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/6/4/1640-caseih-mxu125.html

What about open vs closed hydraulic systems? Any opinions on the advantages of one over the other?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Yes that is the same one must of had a brain fart! I have done everything with that tractor from hauling 8 round bales on the trailer to spraying with our 1000 gallon pull type sprayer. You sure know it when you have 800 to 1000 gallons of water behind you!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am strongly considering Case IH. I've been hauling big round bales for my neighbor the last couple of days with his Maxxum 125. I put 9 bales on the trailer and carry one on the front loader. It handles it with no problem. It appears to be very similar to your tractor. There is a used Maxxum 115 for sale locally that I'm going to look at pretty soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I am strongly considering Case IH. I've been hauling big round bales for my neighbor the last couple of days with his Maxxum 125. I put 9 bales on the trailer and carry one on the front loader. It handles it with no problem. It appears to be very similar to your tractor. There is a used Maxxum 115 for sale locally that I'm going to look at pretty soon.

I'd love to find a used, older Maxxum125 to put my Intimidator tree puller on. smile

It's a beast on my 95C. I can imagine what it would do on a Maxxum125.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That's a nice looking rig. Do you pull trees or shear them off? Any weights on the back or fluid in the tires? Any issues with hydraulics running more than one function at a time? Your tractor should be an open system. I don't know what the neighbor's Maxxum 125 is and he doesn't either. Can you run the loader and tree mechanism all from your joystick? Do you have sealer in your tires to seal punctures. Do you have mesquite where you are?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a nice looking rig. Do you pull trees or shear them off? Any weights on the back or fluid in the tires? Any issues with hydraulics running more than one function at a time? Your tractor should be an open system. I don't know what the neighbor's Maxxum 125 is and he doesn't either. Can you run the loader and tree mechanism all from your joystick? Do you have sealer in your tires to seal punctures. Do you have mesquite where you are?

That attachment grabs the tree, and you work it out. You just don't run up and try to jerk it out with the loader... You can do that, but the ground moisture needs to be right. In dry conditions, it just breaks off the roots.

It works pretty well without weights or liquid in the rears. I shred lots of places in some wet conditions, and if I add weights or water, the tractor sticks far easier in this sandy country. If I need counter balance, and I have when moving very heavy round bales, I put my 6' shredder on the rear. it weighs 800 pounds and works well for that. wink

I have an open hydraulic system. It works fine. I have a splitter in the rear to run my deck level of my 15' Batwing and the Intimidator at the same time. The Intimidator has no minimum requirement on hydraulics. I have enough levers to run everything, but my joystick is capable.

Got mesquite and huisache down here. No flat problems from them. Only sharp stobs and shed deer antlers so far. wink I'll be getting sealant in all 4 tires this summer. 5 gal in each rear, and 2.5 gal. in the fronts.

The Maxxum125 is an open system as well. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/6/2/5627-caseih-maxxum-125.html

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]

This should be a pic of the rig I'm moving hay with. Trailer hooks on the rear bale spike hitch ball. Just back under the ring end of the trailer tongue and raise up. Only problem comes when the jack stand sinks into the dirt enough that you can't get under it after you've loaded the trailer. Then you have to pick it up with one of the front spikes and move it over to some fresh ground.

Interesting. I tried to post this pic yesterday and it wouldn't go. Now it's here. WTF. Lost in cyberspace, I guess.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 06/22/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have that problem with my batwing shredders. Just leaving the jack to the ground it will sink. I keep 2x6 boards there now for under the jack. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have that problem with my batwing shredders. Just leaving the jack to the ground it will sink. I keep 2x6 boards there now for under the jack. smile

Here in La., that's a problem, too. That friend, that just got the 856, managed to get some gravel from a rail road they were taking up. Made him about a 40'x100' pad to park his stuff on. Its a whole lot better than having to dig the implements out of the ground.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What I'd really like to find is a low hour John Deere 7220. They were built in the US and have no emission control systems. Plus, they are 6 cylinder. They are hard to find and are expensive.

Anson, I just talked to my dealer buddy this afternoon about an '04 JD 7320.

The state traded it in with a bad IVT transmission and must have took a beating because the price is right. The dealer is going to put in a new transmission and we'll see if they stick to the original quote.

Get this, only 1981 hours!

It needs a new set of tires as well(pavement use...) but that's not many hours at all for a 13 year old machine.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I don't know a thing about the IVT transmission. I assume it's like a hydrostatic drive on a lawn tractor like my old 318 JD had. Will it have any warranty? That is a nice size and it was made in the USA, 6 cylinder with a closed hydraulic system. Low hours for an '04. Was it a mowing tractor? I'm coming to the conclusion that closed is preferable to open. What about that 7510? How is it doing for you?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess it was a mowing tractor but it also has a 741 SL loader on it so maybe they also used it for???

Can't imagine it did much loading/digging given that the state has big front end loaders.

And why did the transmission go out....

The 7510 is a nice tractor but it is almost to light for loading heavy bales. The ol' 4450 will get the nod for a loader tractor.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I always thought the day the music died is when JD quit making the 4020

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JD must have sold a million of 'em....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For work requiring a lot of hydraulic flow/power, the green always beats the red. I do feel like little long-term things are usually better on green as well, such as cab doors that continue to close tight after a decade of use, or a seat that doesn't wear out easily, or even power-shifts that don't develop an annoying buzz sound.

But red tractors get an awful lot of work done around here. They're all I've been running this summer.

I do think that if green and red were the exact same price at the same specs, nearly everyone would pick green most of the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to mention PTO and drawbar hp and the cabs are for sure tighter....

Powershifts last longer than they should, wish they still made them!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For work requiring a lot of hydraulic flow/power, the green always beats the red. I do feel like little long-term things are usually better on green as well, such as cab doors that continue to close tight after a decade of use, or a seat that doesn't wear out easily, or even power-shifts that don't develop an annoying buzz sound.

But red tractors get an awful lot of work done around here. They're all I've been running this summer.

I do think that if green and red were the exact same price at the same specs, nearly everyone would pick green most of the time.

No doubt.

When I bought my Case, the apples to apples JD was $10k more, without the loader...

If I were running a legacy operation that was going to get passed to my son and grand kids, I would have gone JD probably. But, for what my purposes are, I just couldn't justify it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/45147.jpg

Not quite 100 hp! Trying the new pic posting technique. Didn't work as expected.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/01/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been running a CaseIH Farmall 110A this year a lot. It is very compact for its amount of horsepower.

On the other hand, it is a dog when it comes to actually doing hard work, say in comparison to an old JD 2950 which has less hp but certainly more useful power when it's needed.

I have nicknamed the Case 110A "The Runt." It does have a nice cab though, and being low to the ground makes it easy to jump in and out, which I've needed to do a lot of this first cutting.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting. Is it a matter of pulling power or PTO power or both? Tractor Data shows the 110A as having a 4.5 4 cylinder engine where the JD 2950 has a 6 cyl of 5.9 L but only 94 HP vs 110. The 2950 would be much heavier too. I just got out of the neighbor's Case IH Maxxum 125. Was mowing a pasture with the 20 foot brush hog. It has some serious cajones. I've had it in some tough situations and it has never faltered

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/03/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's a wuss for pulling and on the PTO both. Always has to lug down to find some guts. Mostly due to small displacement, I suppose.

I prefer something a little bigger when possible:

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Since my last post, I've looked at tons of tractor information and test driven several. The Case IH Maxxum 115 that I was most interested in was a favorite until I noticed a mysterious knocking sound when outside with the engine idling. There would be no warranty on it so I passed. One of the tractors I drove was a Kubota M110X. I liked it better than the JD 6420. The 4 cyl engine on the JD was the roughest of the lot. Since then, I've discovered a Kubota dealer that is about 80 miles away and has the best prices I've ever seen on new Kubotas. He has offered a decent trade-in value for my two tractors. I am leaning toward a new M6-131 or M6-111 pending a satisfactory test drive, probably on Wednesday. Power wise, the 131 has the same basic numbers as a JD 6125M or a Case IH Maxxum 125. The 111 compares to a JD 6115M or a Case IH Maxxum 115. Both Kubotas are Tier 4 Final with all the emissions including DEF but would have a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and 3 years on the powertrain.

So, if anyone has anything good or bad to say about Kubota, I'd like to hear it. As they say, "speak now or forever hold your piece". Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good report Anson.

I would like to take a look at Kubota but there are no dealers anywhere close.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just looked and found this one from a (CNH)dealer who has a good local salesman.

http://www.westplains.com/inventory...lr=1&pcid=2988752&ftr=1&lo=4

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That's the next size up from the 131 I'm considering. Should be a 6.1 liter 4 cylinder that develops its power at 2200 rpm. While the 111 is a 3.8 liter that needs to turn 2600 to get its rated power. I like more cubic inches and less rpm. Bound to have more torque too. How far is the dealer from you? Might be worth a look.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like more cubic inches and less rpm.

Damn right.

That particular store is a couple hundred miles away. If one of their closer stores would work on it that would make a big difference.

Kind of like Toyota, no local service for 160 miles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm damn sure glad mine don't use DEF.

Wonder how much DEF a 100hp would go through?

It would be nothing but a PITA.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I've put about 200 hours on my neighbor's Maxxum 125. It is a 2013 but has DEF. It doesn't use much. They say 1 gallon def per 25 gallons of diesel but I don't think it is that much. Pulling hard, maybe, but it sure doesn't running 17-1800 rpm on a shredder. Pretty much any brand from 2012 will have it. John Deere started with it in 2016. If you buy a newer diesel pickup, it will have it. It's a fact of life on newer diesel engines. I've had some farmers tell me that their tractors with def run better and use less fuel than the interim models with everything but def.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've put about 200 hours on my neighbor's Maxxum 125. It is a 2013 but has DEF. It doesn't use much. They say 1 gallon def per 25 gallons of diesel but I don't think it is that much. Pulling hard, maybe, but it sure doesn't running 17-1800 rpm on a shredder. Pretty much any brand from 2012 will have it. John Deere started with it in 2016. If you buy a newer diesel pickup, it will have it. It's a fact of life on newer diesel engines. I've had some farmers tell me that their tractors with def run better and use less fuel than the interim models with everything but def.

Thanks Anson.

My Case 95C has a DPF rather than the DEF. When the DPF comes on, it may use a bit more diesel, but it doesn't stay on but for a few minutes about every other day. I believe that tractor is a 2015 model. I bought it brand new in 2015 anyway. wink

My 45hp Mahindra doesn't have any of that. I believe it's a 2013.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I like more cubic inches and less rpm.

Damn right.

That particular store is a couple hundred miles away. If one of their closer stores would work on it that would make a big difference.

Kind of like Toyota, no local service for 160 miles.

Tractors ain't race cars, hence what does the work is the low rpm torque, not the high rpm hp.

Hence why hp ratings are great for advertising, and not much else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Tractors ain't race cars, hence what does the work is the low rpm torque, not the high rpm hp.

Hence why hp ratings are great for advertising, and not much else.

The PTO HP matters too. Seems like some tractors have better hp retention at the PTO than others.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I've had a NH T4.75 for three years. It gets the job done ,but don't expect a Cadillac. Get the higher priced John Deere for a Cadillac, but you'll pay for it. John Deere has a budget line E series? I'd imagine the higher priced M series is real nice.

My gripes on the NH T4.75:

1. The park position, high, lo , medium range is in the floor. It's a piece of [bleep]. Regularly you can't put it in park so you have to move tractor to put it in park. When I shift into high range from being parked, it grinds (dead stop). They did adjust this and it went away. Now, it's a bitch to put it in park again. A know someone else with same problem.

2. I had to add two quarts of motor oil this spring after checking all the maintenance items. Dealer couldn't find a leak and sent it back. Hopefully, the rings weren't fully seated.so far l so good after being serviced.

3. It's made in Turkey

4. Maintenance is a bitch. You have to remove the fuel filter to get to the oil filter. I serviced it the first time myself and the oil fulter was epoxied onto the housing. Dealer said they are all like that from factory. The filters are tucked way in the back by the firewall. The loader bracket is in the way too. Why not think about maintenance when designing this?

However, it is a workhorse and gets 'her dun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As far as I know JD has the D series(Mexico), the M series(German) and the R series(USA).

They are priced accordingly.

The D's are low frills economy tractors, the M's are nicer but not too fancy(rancher style), and the R's are loaded with the latest technology(farmer chit).

I would love to get a slightly used 6145M or similar but they are pricey.

Actually I'd like to find a low houred 7610, 7710, 7810 but they are rare.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The "D" has now been replaced by the "E", also made in Mexico. The "R" is also made in Germany. I think you have to get to 150 or 160 hp to find a JD made in the US. Around here, most of the highway mowing tractors are JD M models. Usually 125 to 140s. You'll see them for sale with 200-300 hours by the dealers that leased them to the state. Most have the rotating beacon on the cab and new tires because of all the crap they have run over. No telling how they were treated. Probably not very well.

Just checked Tractor Data. The 6145M is made in Germany and is a 4.5 liter 4 cylinder. I test drove a 6115R a while back. Didn't like it. Engine sounded loud when outside. Also drove a 6105D and actually liked it but then I talked to a JD service manager who told me the "D" means "don't"! It was a stick shift basically, even had manual 4x4 engagement. What turned me off was the cast iron drawbar mount and the low 1900# weight limit. The M will support 3600 to 3800, if memory serves. My neighbor's JD HX20 brush hog has a tongue weight of around 2650#, not that I would try to pull it with a 6105D. It worked fine on my old 4430.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
As far as I know JD has the D series(Mexico), the M series(German) and the R series(USA).

They are priced accordingly.

The D's are low frills economy tractors, the M's are nicer but not too fancy(rancher style), and the R's are loaded with the latest technology(farmer chit).

I would love to get a slightly used 6145M or similar but they are pricey.

Actually I'd like to find a low houred 7610, 7710, 7810 but they are rare.

They have that E Class John Deere now. El Cheapos.

My tractor mechanic said "Run!". laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anson, I hadn't looked into the 6145M that far but a 4 cylinder would a deal breaker for a tractor with that much HP. Those 'big' old 6 cylinder JD's are tough too beat!

Rockin' I'd heard you'd better run from the D series as well!

Just looked and the 6150M gets you back into 6 cylinders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's wrong wit D tractor senor?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At anything over about 85-90hp, I'd be looking for a 6-cylinder based on my experiences using both types.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Orange is the new green!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Orange is the new green!

smile

Not totally, down here anyway.

They came on pretty strong a few years back.. But, the past couple of years after word got around of them not lasting very long, and having durability issues, the popularity has waned quite a bit.

Here the orange is known as more of an economy type tractor, but not really suited for hard daily work.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Orange is the new green!

Not in farm country it isn't.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My tractor search is over. In the last 3 months and a considerable amount of time last year, I researched many different tractor brands and models. I've always been partial to John Deeres and wanted to find a 2003 to 2007 7220. I gave up finding one. I did get a look at a 7200 2wd and did not like the cab. It looked cheap with lots of plastic in a weird color. I figured the 7220 would have been the same. Of the newer tractors, I ruled out the D and E series John Deeres because they were not built strong enough in a lot of areas and were cheapened in several others. The drawbar bracket was cast iron. Pto clutch was dry instead of wet. The brakes were manual. I liked the manual transmission it had but that was about it. The R series, the fancy JD with all the bells and whistles, I just didn't like. The engine was loud and rough sounding, clutch and reverser pretty abrupt, not smooth enough. The JD all share the same 4 cylinder 4.5 liter engine. D and E from Mexico, R from Germany.

Case IH was in the running too. I was pretty high on a used Maxxum 115 but it had a strange knocking noise at idle and no warranty. Same day I drove the Maxxum 115, I drove a Kubota 110X. I liked it but it had the small displacement 3.8 liter engine that turns 2600 rpm to get rated hp. That got me looking at new models and I discovered the M6-131 that has a 6.1 liter 4 cylinder that produces 125 to 131 hp at 2200 rpm. This tractor has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with 3 years on the powertrain. It has all the bells and whistles of the JD R series but is much less money. Then I found a dealer that had one is stock and he gave me a good price for my two trades. I pulled the trigger Wednesday and it was delivered Friday morning. It remains to be seen if it will turn out to be a good decision or not but for me it was the right one. It compares favorably to the JD 6125M and R and the Maxxum 125. Now if I can just get used to the color!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you got that picked out! smile

Just out of curiosity, what is the price compared to a Maxxum 125?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Case IH's website never wanted to cooperate when I tried to spec out a new one but it was around 123,000. Used ones locally are priced at about 92,000 with loader. List on the Kubota is around 103,000 with loader. I paid a lot less than that. The used Maxxum 115 would have only been about 9250 cheaper. I wasn't really interested in a new Maxxum 125 as they have gone to a 4 cylinder of 4.5 liters, same size as the JDs.

Kubota's website is the best of the bunch. You can compare comparable models easily and verify with Tractor Data if you don't believe the data.

http://www.kubota.com/product/MSeries/M6101.aspx

I bought the M6-131.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/22/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any pics?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...cGRpVW1GVEVyU2NId1lWZm5DcmlhdGlCQzFuWkN3

Just off the trailer. Bale spike is still in the bucket.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/22/17.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Congrats! That sure is a sweetheart.Sure be interested to see how it compares to your neighbors maxxum you have been using.It looks like you are still green down there? All brown around here been haying cows now for two weeks.Enjoy your new tractor and be careful!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks. We got about .52" last night but it has been a little dry here too. Here lately all the rain has been north of us and I thought Iowa was getting a lot. I guess it wasn't where you are. I don't like leaving a bucket up like that was in the picture. The dealer's son brought the tractor and did that to do the show and tell on the engine area. I don't ever walk under one. The neighbor bought my JD 4430 trade in, so it just went next door. I like his Maxxum 125 pretty well but like the pt. control on the Kubota better. Lever and rocker switch rather than a dial and switch on the Case IH.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anson, what are going to be doing with the new tractor?

Please also report back to us on how you like it, and how ou feel the power of the Kubota 4 cyl. compares to the 6.7L 6 cyl. Maxxum 125.

Looking at the link you posted, it appears to be a pretty high tech tractor. smile

Not sure how much of that stuff I would use regularly, but I know that tight turning feature would get me in trouble real quick with my CV joint on my big shredder. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Rockin B, It will just be a general use mowing, dirt, gravel mover. Moving snow in the winter etc. I could get by with a lot less hp but didn't want to limit myself if I decide to farm my ground again or put it into hay. (some of it is now rented out) I also think this size is more desirable in the resale market not that I plan to get rid of it anytime soon. Unless I pull the neighbor's 20' bat wing, it will be hard to compare power. Yes, it is a pretty high tech machine but not much different than the Maxxum or the JD M and R. It turns pretty short without engaging the bi-speed turn. I think that is more for when it's in 4 wheel drive. I've only put about 2 hours on it so far. Mowing with my "huge" 7 foot Bush Hog at 1700 rpm the display said it was burning 2.2 gallons per hour. I'm still figuring out the side display. It has lots of info. I hear you on turning with a pull type b'hog. You have to watch it. I'll try to let you know how it does and whether I regret my decision or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anson, that looks like a nice tractor, good luck with it!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks Sam. Did you buy that 7320 with the IVT?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rockin B, It will just be a general use mowing, dirt, gravel mover. Moving snow in the winter etc. I could get by with a lot less hp but didn't want to limit myself if I decide to farm my ground again or put it into hay. (some of it is now rented out) I also think this size is more desirable in the resale market not that I plan to get rid of it anytime soon. Unless I pull the neighbor's 20' bat wing, it will be hard to compare power. Yes, it is a pretty high tech machine but not much different than the Maxxum or the JD M and R. It turns pretty short without engaging the bi-speed turn. I think that is more for when it's in 4 wheel drive. I've only put about 2 hours on it so far. Mowing with my "huge" 7 foot Bush Hog at 1700 rpm the display said it was burning 2.2 gallons per hour. I'm still figuring out the side display. It has lots of info. I hear you on turning with a pull type b'hog. You have to watch it. I'll try to let you know how it does and whether I regret my decision or not.

Oh, I doubt you'll regret it! smile

I've had regrets from buying a tractor that didn't have enough hp before, but never from buying one that had too much!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Orange is the new green!

Not in farm country it isn't.

The guy that rolls my hay has about a 95hp Kubota with cab and loader. This Spring , he had to put it in the shop for the PTO bearing. I think he said the cab had to come off. Hours were around 1500.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were to decide to start up a new farming operation, and someone gave me a blank check, and told me I could spend any amount of money that I needed to in buying new equipment, here is the route I'd take. First choice would be JD, and I have never owned a JD tractor other than a 22 HP sub-compact. The reason is this.......JD has an advantage in technology, dealer support, parts, resale value, and such things. Second choice would Case-IH or New Holland, and I'll make it perfectly clear that I wouldn't necessarily buy a JD, just look at them first. My current tractors are both NH, and I've had pretty good luck out of them. I know lots of farmers who own Kubota tractors, but only a handful who own a big Kubota's. I think the mid size Kubota's would be an excellent choice, but much prefer another brand for a bigger tractor.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... I think the mid size Kubota's would be an excellent choice, but much prefer another brand for a bigger tractor.

Having roamed all over KS, as well as areas of CO, WY, MT, ID, and WA, I can't remember ever seeing big Kubotas being used for serious acreage. There are several guys around East Texas who use them for large hay operations, but they are outnumbered by the JD and Case/IH guys with Massey coming in third..

Having just spent a couple of months in Eastern WA, it looks like Case/IH is the preferred brand there.

IMHO, the OP's HP range requirement is right about where the Kubotas end their popularity and the JD, Massey, Case/IH, and NH pick up.

My choice would be partially dependent on the nearest full-service dealer, with Case/IH being my first choice, Massey second, and JD last.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My part of Kentucky has some large farming operations that will rival those found most anywhere. Corn, wheat, soybeans, tobacco, with some canola starting to be grown. You will see JD more than anything else, with Case-IH next, followed by NH, and then Kubota. Massey's are not very common, though you do see a few. For strictly grain operations, JD has always been the most popular,

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Sam. Did you buy that 7320 with the IVT?

No, but I just found this little bastard on the internet.

http://www.frontlineag.com/inventor...9&sfc=0&ssc=0&ftr=1&lo=3

We don't need the loader but I suppose it could come in handy for some light work.

Now wheat just needs to make another run back up.....

James, lots of JD loader/baler tractors around here and a bunch of red ones as well. Same for big four wheel drives but there are still several old Versatiles running strong. Few NH and that's about it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Any update on that new kubota? Had it on the neighbors bale trailer to see how it compares?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
An update on the Kubota M6-131. It has a little over 18 hours on it now. Used mostly for mowing with a 7 foot Bush Hog around the corn field and some small pastures. Have used the bale spike to move limbs from an old dead tree that the neighbor and I cut down. Also moved a little dirt with the bucket. The 8 foot bucket is almost too large, I would prefer a 7 footer. I take the bucket off to mow. I highly recommend the Euro style quick attach bucket and spike. I took the Kubota over to the the next door neighbor's place yesterday and he used it to mow a small pasture while I rode shotgun. He's the fellow with the Case IH Maxxum 125 that I run moving big round bales and mowing pastures. He said he liked the Kubota. I think he was a little surprised that he did. We both prefer the 3 point controls on the Kubota. I would like to hook up to his 20 foot mower with the Kubota and may do that later this year after we finish mowing his ground. Right now, his CIH 125 is on it and will stay hooked up until all the mowing is done. I mowed parts of three days last week with the Case IH and am more familiar with his tractor than I am with my own. It has around 850 hours now and has been a good machine. I hope I can say the same about mine in the years to come.

The Kubota went into it's first particulate filter regeneration yesterday. All went well and it was not a big deal. We took it down the road to check top speed during part of it. It runs 24 mph in top gear. I will say the AC on the Kubota is way better than the Case IH. The neighbor agreed.

At this point, I am very satisfied with the tractor. Am now thinking about a Kubota diesel UTV to replace my 2007 Gator 620I. Any body have one?

I forgot to add that the DEF tank gauge still shows full so either it doesn't use much or the gauge doesn't work!

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 08/20/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So it has a DPF and uses DEF as well?

I thought that was an either/or thing... Guess not.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I believe that with the Final Tier 4 engine it will have both def and pm filter, no matter the brand. Case IH went to def in 2012 or 13 and no DPF. JD went with the DPF but no def until 2016. Pretty sure it takes both now to meet Final Tier limits. Here's a link to an old article that explains who did what.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsre...el-emissions-standards-to-affect-farmers

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Anson!

My Case is I 2014 I believe. Bought it like Feb. of '15. DPF but no DEF.

I don't think my 2012 Mahindra has DPF ... smile Just a straight tractor that sounds like the old tractors would with the deep growl. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My neighbor's Case IH Maxxum 125 is a 2013 and has def but no dpf. The horsepower range dictates what levels of emissions have to be met also. I think below 75 HP doesn't require as much. I think that's what the local Mahindra dealer told me. Your Mahindra is probably old enough not to require anything. That would have been my preference but I wanted more power.

How's the new Ford doing?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Am now thinking about a Kubota diesel UTV to replace my 2007 Gator 620I. Any body have one?

Anson, I have an RTV900. I wouldn't trade it for any other UTV out there. It isn't fast, but it will pull and it sips fuel. The only thing I've done is regular service and replace a battery.

I have had it in some really swampy places and never got it stuck, and I have filled the bed up with green Red Oak rounds and towed a 4' x 8' trailer loaded with Red Oak rounds at the same time. No signs of straining, even going up and down hills as I came out of the woods. Mine doesn't have the cab, just the roof, and it has the hydraulic tilt bed.
It's worth every penny!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My neighbor's Case IH Maxxum 125 is a 2013 and has def but no dpf. The horsepower range dictates what levels of emissions have to be met also. I think below 75 HP doesn't require as much. I think that's what the local Mahindra dealer told me. Your Mahindra is probably old enough not to require anything. That would have been my preference but I wanted more power.

How's the new Ford doing?

Love the new Ford pickup! Thanks for asking!

Whole other level than my old Dodge. It actually un-tracks when I push the gas pedal. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Ed, that is the model I'm considering. I'd like to have a removable windshield (for winter) and some kind of top just for shade and to keep the rain off. Don't need AC, doors or a windshield wiper. I'm going to go look at them pretty soon. How long have you had yours?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ed, that is the model I'm considering. I'd like to have a removable windshield (for winter) and some kind of top just for shade and to keep the rain off. Don't need AC, doors or a windshield wiper. I'm going to go look at them pretty soon. How long have you had yours?

Oh man... My Rhino gets fricken HOT to operate. That engine is between the seats and the heat comes up from there... eek

Not my favorite vehicle on a 100 degree day.

I got one of those thick swimming noodles and wedged it in the space between the bed and cab where most of the heat comes through, but it still is too warm for my comfort.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I had to share thoughts on Mahindra. I believe they make a 100 hp tractor or pretty close.

Anyway, my neighbor has a little 50 hp cab Mahindra with FEL and FWA. I used it to help drill, sow and drag about an acre and a half deer food plot. The ergonomics are pure [bleep]. Nothing is convenient. The parts are small and weak. I've had New Holland or Ford for six years. To top it off, when we were done I touched the front end loader joystick and the cable running from the base of the lever to the hydraulic valve completely broke into. WTF? They make a "good" model but just watch what you're buying.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.