Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looking to trade a 1975 JD 4430 and a 1967 3020 with loader on a newer 4x4 cab tractor with loader. I am a John Deere fan but am not wild about the newer models. Am considering JD and other brands, even Mahindra. What I'd really like to find is a low hour John Deere 7220. They were built in the US and have no emission control systems. Plus, they are 6 cylinder. They are hard to find and are expensive. Any and all info appreciated but practical experience trumps hearsay. Thanks.

GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anson, curious to hear what people recommend.

We are also looking for a 100hp utility tractor. Thinking about a JD 6410, 6420, 6430, etc..

Very hard to find locally.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have CASE MXU 125 FRONT WHEEL ASSIST WITH LOADER GOOD TRACTOR SO FAR 2800 HOURS OR SO ON IT NOW. FOUR CYLINDER TURBO CHARGED.BROTHER HAD A 5525 DEERE ALSO,IT WAS OPEN STATION HAD GOOD POWER.FRONT WHEEL ASSIST SURE MAKES A LOADER TRACTOR A LOT MORE USEFUL.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A guy a couple of places over from us bought a big Kubota M series a couple of years ago. I don't have the model number memorized but he said it was a bit over 100 hp. He raises a lot of alfalfa and, according to him, it is the best farming tractor he has ever owned. He doesn't have any stock but I don't know why it wouldn't be a good feed tractor and it would pull a manure spreader easily. If there is a downside to a big Kubota it might be resale but other than that it seems to be a very good unit. If you have a good dealer in the area might be worth seeing how it compares with some of the JD in that size range.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah getting to be a lot of kubota tractors around here also uncle has a 105-s he just loves the crap out of it

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happen to like the NH brand, and that's what I'll probably look at first if and when I trade again. Deere's are hard to beat, but I could just never quite come to the point of buying one. I guess the green of my money meant more than the green paint. My neighbor has a 125 hp Case-IH and really likes it. Also, around here, the Kubota M series are pretty popular.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 100hp Case Farmall that has 1000 hours on it, and a 45hp Mahindra w/ 500 hrs.

The Case has been a good tractor, and sees some rough use. Not much problems with major stuff on it, but have had issues with minor repairs. Some of the issues are most likely due to the way I use the tractor. Shredding through thick brush isn't real easy on a tractor. Mostly just a wire here and there that gets snagged and pulled loose. Fuel tank leak from a stress crack that should not have happened. Most likely a weak spot in the tank when molded.

My Mahindra on the other hand has been a surprise.

No functional issues at all. And it gets used hard, or harder than my Case. An interesting encounter at the Mahindra dealer the other day when I was buying new fan belts and oil filter for the Mahindra... There was an older guy at the parts counter buying parts for a NH tractor. He turned out to be a tractor mechanic with his own business... He heard me ask for Mahindra parts and said that people call him to come fix tractors all over a 100 radius. He had never worked on a Mahindra tractor.

The parts guy said the service dept. there didn't get one in to work on them often either.

That made me feel pretty good about my tough little tractor. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

....There was an older guy at the parts counter buying parts for a NH tractor. He turned out to be a tractor mechanic with his own business... He heard me ask for Mahindra parts and said that people call him to come fix tractors all over a 100 radius. He had never worked on a Mahindra tractor.

The parts guy said the service dept. there didn't get one in to work on them often either. .....

Interesting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have quite a few of those tractors down here too. And dealers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Put your money in your old iron.....not new plastic....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

Both my New Hollands have plastic fenders. They are broke in several places, something that rarely ever happened on the old metal fenders. The cab tractor seems to have better plastic on it than does the little tractor, but that's not a help the way I use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admit that I've never owned or operated a Mahindra tractor. There are a few around here, with there being a Mahindra dealer. I know several people who have them, and have heard mixed reviews. One fellow I know swears by his, although he will be the first to tell you that parts are expensive and can be hard to get when needed. Another man was last heard cussing the dealer for selling him junk, and then not standing behind it. They seem to be very popular worldwide, so I'm guessing there must be something good about them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I admit that I've never owned or operated a Mahindra tractor. There are a few around here, with there being a Mahindra dealer. I know several people who have them, and have heard mixed reviews. One fellow I know swears by his, although he will be the first to tell you that parts are expensive and can be hard to get when needed. Another man was last heard cussing the dealer for selling him junk, and then not standing behind it. They seem to be very popular worldwide, so I'm guessing there must be something good about them.

My experience has been about like a car dealer/service experience.

I needed a new alternator for the Mahindra because the pully connector was wallowed out due to a belt breaking, but not all the way..(It wobbled enough at a bad angle to wallow out the pully.)

Dealer wanted over $600 for a new alternator. frown

Took it to the alternator rebuild shop and they said the dealer was right, it couldn't be fixed. But they could order me a new one with a steel pully for $175.... "Do it!" laugh

After my pickups run out of warranty, I don't take them back to the dealer for anything either. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Yesterday I looked at a new Mahindra 105S tractor with self leveling loader. It appears to be a heavy built tractor but has way too much plastic for me. A little crude in the transmission shifting, all manual. That actually is probably a good thing. I intend to look a Kubota also.

My neighbor has a 2013 Case IH Maxxum 125 that I have put about 200 hours on moving big round bales and mowing his pastures with a 20 foot HX20 John Deere brush hog. It has been a really good machine with very few problems. It also has a 6 cylinder engine, very smooth. The cab and features on it are the same as a New Holland, not sure which model. My concern with this tractor is all the electrical components. The transmission is all electric shift. It is very easy to use, but I wonder about long term reliability. It also uses Def Fluid. The cab on the Case IH is nicer than on the D,E and M models John Deeres. It's on par with the R JD, the expensive one. I like the manual nature of the D and E model JD but have been told by a JD service manager that the D means "don't". He said they have had lots of problems with them. I know some of them have a dry disc PTO clutch and a cast iron draw bar housing. I don't want either one of those things on a tractor.

Sam, I don't know where you are located. What dealers are around there? There is a 6430 for sale about 45 miles from me but I'm in NW Missouri. It's at B&T Tractors. Look on Tractor House too, plus Machinery Pete.

http://www.bnttractor.com/default.htm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Avoid the E class JD's as well.

They all have the damn plastic now. All of them. I think my Mahindra as more metal than anything, but it's like a 2012.

I believe they ALL have the damn DEF too now... frown

My Case was the last without it. Sure glad. smile

Both of mine are shuttle shift operated. The Case is electronic shuttle shift, and the Mahindra is manual. Both work really well.

Stay away from the hydro-static driven tractors if you ever road your tractor much. Roading one with a hydrostatic transmission will damage it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

This is pretty much it....

But when the newer stuff works it sure is nice!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I asked about all the plastic on my Case when I bought it.

The manager said it's not really typical plastic... That it was made from soybeans and some other farmed products.

I thought that was funny! smile

Not that I cared what the plastic was made from, but I reckon a soybean farmer might... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Our two main crops here are soybeans and corn. I didn't know you could make plastic from them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plant based oils are hydrocarbons. If you polymerize them you'll get a plastic. I don't know if it makes anymore sense to convert food into plastic than it does to fuel, but there is a market for "eco friendly" materials.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda a little off subject, but a friend just bought a IH 856. Runs like a top, everything works, new hoses on hydraulics, good tires, 1 owner and my friend knows the fellow he bought it from. Needs paint. Main thing he will do with, is to pull a 15' batwing bush hog.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.