Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Starting this so that I don't derail the other thread.

IMO a lot of people don't train as much as they should at short distances because (1) In order to do it correctly you really need a timer and people don't want to invest in one and (2) From a training point of view shooting at long distance is actually MORE reassuring. If you hit, great. If you miss you can tell yourself it's really OK, because after all....look how far away that target is! If you try to shoot fast up close and can't, there's not a lot of room for excuses and it can be really demoralizing.

I thought I'd post up some of the stuff that I normally practice to spur conversation. These 3 drills constitute a large portion of my "stand and shoot" training. I normally shoot from the 5 or 7 yard line. At 7 yards for these drills I'm 95%ish target focused, so shooting at 7 yards translates well to closer shooting as well. At 5 yards I'm definitely completely target focused and I really don't see a reason to shoot any closer than that.

All of these drills are set up for USPSA targets. The A Zone is roughly 6x12 and can be easily replicated by folding a sheet of typing paper lengthwise to the correct width.

BILL DRILL
This is the most popular of the three drills. Draw and fire six rounds. That's it. Nothing to it.
A good par time is anything less than two seconds at 7 yards.

BLAKE DRILL
Three targets places side by side with about three feet between them. Draw and fire two round at each target.
This is the same amount of rounds fired as the Bill Drill but you also have to make two transitions.
The par time is 2 seconds at 7 yards.
For me, this drill is incredibly difficult. I can count on one hand the number of times I've cleaned it with all As under two seconds.

ACCELERATOR
Set up targets so that from left to right they appear to be about a yard apart. The distance to the targets can be changed. I usually vary this drill with targets at 3-7-15 yards or 7-15-25 yards.
This drill forces you to change your sight focus and trigger control for varying target difficulty. It's a great way to work on close distance stuff and also add in a little distance work.
Fire two shots at each target, reload, fire two shots at each target. I usually fire near to far-reload-far to near. That incorporates a little bit of everything.
Six seconds is the par time for this drill and honestly it seems completely impossible to me. Ignoring the insane par time, this is still a great drill.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for posting this.....I've never had any formal training so this is very helpful.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blue, that last one we incorporate in our semi annual quals but is done with one tactical mag change after the first run through. It is also done with four targets 3-7-15-25, time is a generous 15 seconds. Sure sifts the wheat from the chaff. smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by T LEE
Blue, that last one we incorporate in our semi annual quals but is done with one tactical mag change after the first run through. It is also done with four targets 3-7-15-25, time is a generous 15 seconds. Sure sifts the wheat from the chaff. smile

Are they uniformed officers wearing duty gear? I don't think that I've ever seen a dept. have their officers perform tactical mag reloads before.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by T LEE

Are they uniformed officers wearing duty gear? I don't think that I've ever seen a dept. have their officers perform tactical mag reloads before.

All sworn officers uniform and plain clothes. They carry the Sig 226 in 9mm so that would be a half expended mag mag changed out and put in a pocket, this is just another tool in their kit.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't they make shot time apps for smart phones these days? I've been using the same PACT timer/chronograph for nearly 30 years...that thing has paid for itself a hundred times over.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
paper dinner plates work well also, but aren't as "eye catchy" (too say nothing of cheaper) and they don't need taped.

Surrender, hands up, with back to target, was an old standards, still useful

If possible shoot what ever practice you do choose, with weak hands as much as possible.

Use a 180 deg. range if possible, which allows targets at 90 to 180 deg sweep

use range that has firing line movement. not target. In other words you move to the target rather than moving the target near and far. Take an old door. for barricade practice.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot the Bill Drill quite a bit over the years. I like the Accelerator Drill, sounds like a good one. Gonna try that out very soon.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have no formal training, but does staying completely committed to a threat with your weapon on target and firing count for anything, or is it all mostly tactically trained maneuvering and mindset?

If not I best find a class.

Trump Won!
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
I have no formal training, but does staying completely committed to a threat with your weapon on target and firing count for anything, or is it all mostly tactically trained maneuvering and mindset?

Not directing this at anyone, but: my grandmother can do this, it just takes her longer.

flash sight picture, and press do not use the analytical, mind, decision, pull, ----the later takes to long. The commitment is in the flash sight picture. The aggressor has already taken two and the gun is/should be repositioned for the next encounter.

Civilian techniques are far different form than police and military. They do a bunch of other stuff because of policy, communications etc.

if you haven't already shot the aggressor, holding them at gunpoint is risky, (fatigue, hair triggers, multiple aggressors, tunnel concentration. etc)
the slowest part of the presentation is the "sock on" whereas moving the gun from the chest, straight out , sight picture , press occurs in tenths of sec.
mean while your consciousness can remain on the situation.

moving the gun with the eye on the sights, through any arc, up and down is counter productive

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Don't they make shot time apps for smart phones these days? I've been using the same PACT timer/chronograph for nearly 30 years...that thing has paid for itself a hundred times over.

Yeah. I've had hit and miss luck with them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Depends on what the class is geared towards. I find the best classes are those that are geared heavily to one side or the other. Either teach me how to shoot a gun or teach me how to tactic. Classes that combine the two are usually pretty weak all the way around.

For civillian defensive uses the tactical maneuvering stuff is far less important than shooting well, IMO. And I'm pretty sure you've got the mindset stuff locked down.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And I'd add that those drills aren't really about testing a specific scenario related skill. They're completely technique builders.

To get a two second Bill Drill you've gotta hit your grip perfectly, draw and index the gun on the target without any actual conscious effort, and have a grip that's strong enough to control the recoil without causing trigger freeze.

The Blake Drill incorporates all of that, but adds the need for a relaxed posture that lets you move fluidly and your ability to drive the gun to the target directly where you're looking and stop it there without over swinging it.

The Accelerator forces you to recognize target difficulty and adjust your focus and trigger control on the fly.

Building all of those skills lets you perform in any situation, without training for any one scenario.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
For civillian defensive uses the tactical maneuvering stuff is far less important than shooting well, IMO...
Agreed...
Basic level of competence at arms is essential, beginning with marksmanship...if you can't hit a stationary target, moving on to tactics isn't going to do you much good.

Next is learning how to move safely in a tactical situation, and weapon handling / manipulation is very important. Have to know how to move in a fluid environment while maintaining basic gun safety. When doing force on force exercises, those not in the fray are observers. It's amazing how frequently people cover themselves, parts of their body, or their partner with the muzzle of their gun while moving around during an engagement. Or watching people's trigger fingers drifting toward the trigger as the tension rises. I can remember at least twice where there were ND's during movement. I don't recall anyone shooting themselves during my class, but the instructor informed me it was far more common than anyone would like to admit. It becomes even more of a problem after the first rounds go off. Many who were completely safe leading up to the event, completely disregard all safety after the first round flies. A scenario where it's a room clearing sort of thing, they do well until they hit "the" room...a shot is fired, everyone either returns fire, or goes for cover....from that point on, often you'll see that fingers never come off triggers regardless of what's happening. It's eye opening!

A lot of people either don't think about this or brush it off because they're "safe on the range", but it would be rather embarrassing to begin your gunfight by putting the first round into yourself. And doing so could significantly degrade your performance for the second act of the gunfight.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Etoh

Not directing this at anyone, but: my grandmother can do this, it just takes her longer.

flash sight picture, and press do not use the analytical, mind, decision, pull, ----the later takes to long. The commitment is in the flash sight picture. The aggressor has already taken two and the gun is/should be repositioned for the next encounter.

Civilian techniques are far different form than police and military. They do a bunch of other stuff because of policy, communications etc.

if you haven't already shot the aggressor, holding them at gunpoint is risky, (fatigue, hair triggers, multiple aggressors, tunnel concentration. etc)
the slowest part of the presentation is the "sock on" whereas moving the gun from the chest, straight out , sight picture , press occurs in tenths of sec.
mean while your consciousness can remain on the situation.

moving the gun with the eye on the sights, through any arc, up and down is counter productive

Should have said firing "accurate hits" counting for anything, I don't have a clue what the term techniques you mentioned above even mean, as far covering a downed aggressor, if I was convinced he was down for good, I'd immediately check parking lot, aisles etc for a backup compadre in crime while yelling for other un-armeds to get down, wouldn't know what else to do, but do know that is all somehow built in survival fight/defend muscle memory.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Depends on what the class is geared towards. I find the best classes are those that are geared heavily to one side or the other. Either teach me how to shoot a gun or teach me how to tactic. Classes that combine the two are usually pretty weak all the way around.

For civillian defensive uses the tactical maneuvering stuff is far less important than shooting well, IMO. And I'm pretty sure you've got the mindset stuff locked down.

Thanks Blue, kinda what I was trying to convey to ETOH earlier, I do think me not having any [immediate?] fear of aggressors is stupid, practicing for better more accurate shooting has to be a very good thing. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(1) In order to do it correctly you really need a timer and people don't want to invest in one and

Every idiot and his brother has a cell phone these days. If you have a cell phone, you can have a shot timer just by visiting Google Play or the Apple (gag) App Store.

I have a timer app on my Samsung Galaxy that I use to qualify our officers with. The one I use is Shoot Utilities IPSC-USPSA Google Play

I only use the par timer for now and it works just fine. The only improvement they could make is to make the buzzer louder and of lower frequency.

The one I really like is by Sure-Fire, but it's only available for the iPhone (gag).

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by GunGeek
For civillian defensive uses the tactical maneuvering stuff is far less important than shooting well, IMO...
Agreed...
Basic level of competence at arms is essential, beginning with marksmanship...if you can't hit a stationary target, moving on to tactics isn't going to do you much good.

Next is learning how to move safely in a tactical situation, and weapon handling / manipulation is very important. Have to know how to move in a fluid environment while maintaining basic gun safety. When doing force on force exercises, those not in the fray are observers. It's amazing how frequently people cover themselves, parts of their body, or their partner with the muzzle of their gun while moving around during an engagement. Or watching people's trigger fingers drifting toward the trigger as the tension rises. I can remember at least twice where there were ND's during movement. I don't recall anyone shooting themselves during my class, but the instructor informed me it was far more common than anyone would like to admit. It becomes even more of a problem after the first rounds go off. Many who were completely safe leading up to the event, completely disregard all safety after the first round flies. A scenario where it's a room clearing sort of thing, they do well until they hit "the" room...a shot is fired, everyone either returns fire, or goes for cover....from that point on, often you'll see that fingers never come off triggers regardless of what's happening. It's eye opening!

A lot of people either don't think about this or brush it off because they're "safe on the range", but it would be rather embarrassing to begin your gunfight by putting the first round into yourself. And doing so could significantly degrade your performance for the second act of the gunfight.

most civilian self defense isn't complicated, its usually one on one at short distances. Mental mindset must include "don't underestimate the craziness of the aggressor" who knows they may been practicing Tae Kwon Doo kicking techniques for the last 4 years while they were in reform school.

and as yu mention there is always one more guy than the ones you see

movement shooting includes hitting stationary targets while you move, and moving targets while you are stationary. Try to rig a rail, higher on one end that allows a round plate to roll down it. Now do it with you and it moving.

If I where involved in a multiple aggressor I would be more afraid of being shot by "friendlys ". As a civilian I will use the weapon to remove myself from the area.

Room/building clearing is police/military stuff not good for civilians. Usually handled better by explosives.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't believe in hitting the same target in the same place more than once is good training. Any decent hit should do it. If it doesn't, you need to go for a head shot with your second shot.
After some experience with live shootings, both mine and others, the biggest problem is getting that hit that will do the job. BG's pumped up on drugs, etc. sometimes are very hard to stop. The other problem is getting target fixated. There is a very strong tendency to zero in on one spot or technique and keep doing it while hoping for the results you so desperately need. You can easily wind up with an empty gun and the problem still present.
I don't have or want a timer. The only thing I want are meaningful hits.
I never been a fan of trying to hit something while moving. Either shoot or duck behind cover. E

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.