Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shortly after beginning load development in an old 788 in 6mm, I acquired a sweet little custom built on a Model Seven action. Realizing the potential for problems, I checked some brass fired in the 788 and sure enough, it was too tight for the Model Seven. Knowing what to do (which is not the same as doing it right), I adjusted my FL die so that brass fired in the 788 would cycle in the Seven. Evidently, I missed something because a handful of the cartridges I loaded up fit the Seven too tightly and I am all but certain they are the brass that were fired in the 788. I'm not sure how I managed to screw this up but I sure did it.

I have Lee collet neck dies and Redding body dies also which will be used for loading 6mm as needed in the future, so I've been thinking about the feasibility of using that body die to bump shoulders back a thousandth or two on these tight fitting rounds. I do realize what would happen should a primer detonate while doing this, but I don't see how that could possibly happen. OTOH, I do know that the most unlikely things DO happen sometimes, and it could be a lot more likely than I am imagining. Due to the seriousness of the possible consequences of a mishap, I am reluctant to attempt this without a lot more consideration and I'd like a little good advice.

So, I'm asking what y'all think: am I being overly cautious, or is this a very bad idea?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What's stopping you from pulling the bullets and fixing this the normal way?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tried it once and stuck a loaded round , buried Body Die in a deep lake. Not worth the risk.

Was having lots of issues when my RCBS die lock ring slipped did not notice it till I went to fire rounds.
So I had a bunch of loaded rounds to resize. Stuck a loaded round about the second try, now I had a problem
was not worth the risk to me or anyone else, so I gave it a burial.

Was thinking about trying it again on some 308 rounds I had loaded for a tight chamber 308 I sold and am going to pull the bullets. Rather than relearn the process.

Its a pain to segregate loads for different rifles in the same caliber esp. if one is a tight chamber.

Last month I stuck a loaded round in my tight chamber 06 quite a rodeo to get it out safely.

Last edited by kk alaska; 06/17/17.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
What's stopping you from pulling the bullets and fixing this the normal way?

Laziness, I suppose. Looking for the easy way---as long as it's "safe and effective," as they say in the commercials.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Tried it once and stuck a loaded round , buried Body Die in a deep lake. Not worth the risk.

THAT is the voice of experience and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, KK.

Don't be the darkness.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how long will it take to grow new eyes or some new fingers? not trying to be a smart ass but the potential for disaster is to great.
are the tight rounds impossible to chamber or just stiff closing the bolt? if impossible pull them. med bills and loss of work make the time worth it.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/16/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am not certain, never tried it...

Actually, I think the consequences of a mishap would probably be even more serious than that. I just can't imagine how a primer could be detonated. It's a moot point, though. KK Alsaka's been down this road and I'm not one to go off reinventing the square wheel. grin

Don't be the darkness.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have one rifle with a tight chamber.

Any factory load I wanted to shoot in it had to be run through a small base body die. I've probably done this with around a thousand rounds, and never had an issue, and i don't under stand the worry warts thinking a slight resizing would cause a detonation.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason for a load cartridge to go off while the body's being resized.

The only problem with a body die is some have pretty tight necks, but a body die for a larger-caliber cartridge on the same basic case often works, since there's some variation in sizing dies. My Redding 7x57 FL die apparently has a slightly smaller base, and has slimmed down quite a few .257 Roberts cases that would work in one of our .257's but not another. Which is yet another reason I usually don't sell dies, even if I no longer have a rifle in that chambering: With a wide die selection of dies you can often solve such annoying but relatively minor loading problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The primer won't be touched since it is over the hole in the shellholder and ram. I resized some loaded ammo with a Redding body die, IIRC it was because I had it loaded up for one rifle but sold that rifle before I could shoot it up, then the rounds wouldn't fit in my other rifle similarly chambered.

First I inserted a couple of loaded rounds bullet first in the top of the die to make sure there was enough clearance around the necks. Then I applied lube on each case by hand making sure not to get any on the primer - probably wouldn't have hurt but I was being careful. I did one first to set the die and make sure the rounds would chamber easily, then did the rest. After sizing all of them I used a paper towel with some lighter fluid to completely remove the lube by hand. Successfully resized almost a full box of 50 that way with no problems.

Not something you want to do all the time but it does work.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Up from the ashes rises an idea mistakenly believed to be dead. I have plenty of sizing lube so I think I'll give it a whirl. I really didn't want to be in one of those "why-in-hell-didn't-I-see-that-would-happen" situations, which are unfortunately not unfamiliar to me, myself, and I.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Don't be the darkness.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do it all the time....nothing to worry about....

just make sure the round is lubed....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good way to buckle a case especially if it is a compressed load. The best option in my opinion is to take a reamer to the short chamber and try to get as good of a match as possible. It can be done by hand and if not a major difference then you are basically just polishing the chamber. Another option is to take a fired round from the 788 put some valve grinding compound on it chuck it in a drill and polish the Model 7's chamber. But I would first check the head space on the 788 as they are rumored to have bolt setback problems more easily due to the rear lug lock up. Best option set the barrels back and rechamber both with the same reamer this would give you the best chance of having interchangeable ammo if the throats and chambers match. Not sure if it's available but using nickle cases for one and plain for the other could prevent headaches of just two different head stamps.

My 2 cents and worth every penny.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
River Rider What is preventing you from shooting them in the old rifle they were originally shot in? Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 06/17/17. Reason: Spelling

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I understand that some do this but for myself there is no way in hell am I putting a live round in any type of chamber not part of a firearm, particularly an extremely hard to brittle one.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northcountry
River Rider What is preventing you from shooting them in the old rifle they were originally shot in? Cheers NC

NC, the Model Seven was a replacement for the 788. I normally keep one rifle per caliber, the exception being 5.56/.223 these days since I am housing some AR15s in addition to my .223 bolt gun. I decided I was not happy with the 788 and went looking around on-line for something else in 6mm and found this Model Seven custom and decided I had to have it (and it IS a shooter!), so the 788 is now on the chopping block. I acquired the 788 from a friend who told me it shot very well for him, but it just never shot very well for me---that happens. I've passed along rifles that wouldn't shoot well for me, but shoot just fine for the new owners. I'm not sure why that is, but I do believe it happens and probably because of stock fit and maybe even shooting habits and technique. Anyway, the bottom line is that I just don't care to shoot the 788 anymore. I LOVE the Model Seven!

Don't be the darkness.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have 4 different 308 rifles and have used the body die to make adjustments on loaded ammo a bunch of times....no problem at all.
I have also used my 308 Forster bump die to bump shoulders on my 708..... they are called reloading tools.....use em!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Shortly after beginning load development in an old 788 in 6mm, I acquired a sweet little custom built on a Model Seven action. Realizing the potential for problems, I checked some brass fired in the 788 and sure enough, it was too tight for the Model Seven. Knowing what to do (which is not the same as doing it right), I adjusted my FL die so that brass fired in the 788 would cycle in the Seven. Evidently, I missed something because a handful of the cartridges I loaded up fit the Seven too tightly and I am all but certain they are the brass that were fired in the 788. I'm not sure how I managed to screw this up but I sure did it.

Fired brass hardens and will need to be sized slightly more due to setback than virgin brass. So when setting up an FL die to size brass fired in a larger chamber to fit a tighter chamber, you need to make sure you're fully sizing the brass, not partial fl sizing. Even then occasionally you'll get fl brass that just doesn't size down enough to fit.

Just buy virgin brass and have dedicated brass for the tight chambered gun. No risk of accidentally having a round that won't chamber at the wrong time, like on a hunt.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well may rethink this tried using my Redding Body die on my 308 loaded rounds and it worked great well lubed and just bumped them enough to be usable. The last time I tried it and stuck one on my 6.5 X 284 shoulder is a lot harder to bump back. Have the brass well segregated now.

RCBS went to a soft brass lock screw that is easy to strip, which caused my dies to slip. Went to the old Hornady split rings to solve that issue.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Fired brass hardens and will need to be sized slightly more due to setback than virgin brass. So when setting up an FL die to size brass fired in a larger chamber to fit a tighter chamber, you need to make sure you're fully sizing the brass, not partial fl sizing. Even then occasionally you'll get fl brass that just doesn't size down enough to fit.

Just buy virgin brass and have dedicated brass for the tight chambered gun. No risk of accidentally having a round that won't chamber at the wrong time, like on a hunt.

Brass was once fired Hornady and annealed after first firing. I do NOT FL size any rifle brass at all unless it's going to be used in an AR or other semi-auto.

I think I probably was just a little too conservative in the way I set up my FL die. It will be corrected with about a 0.002" increase in shoulder bump. My body die will get proper attention too.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.