Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Did all pre 64 featherweights have the hollow bolt knob? Im looking at one and it has a solid bolt?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Early pre'64 featherweights had a solid bolt handle. If you will check Rule's or Whitaker's book you can find out when the hollow bolt handle was introduced.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have both above references, but not handy at the moment . From recollection, the Pre '64 Model 70 Featherweight was introduced in the 1952-53 period as the hollow bolt handle era was morphing in for the entire Model 70 line. That would be somewhere in the 200,000 to 300,000 serial range. Sorry at the moment I can't be more specific, but likely someone along with the Roger Rule book under their pillow, or to recite by verse! Also the notation, your rifle should be in 308 Winchester if in that early Featherweight 'solid bolt handle' era and original.
To my mind, all other things being equal, such an early 'FW' rifle slightly more desirable than the later editions. To me the only downside of the Featherweight is the lower 'survival-pristine' incidence of the alloy bottom metal; quite subject to scratching & general finish wear.
Good luck and...
My take

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bolts with hollow knobs are referred to as "Type-III" bolts. They were introduced in 1952 on the Featherweight rifles, but almost immediately became standard on all rifles. The Type-III bolt is identical to the Type-II bolt, other than the hollow knob. Both Type-II and Type-III bolts have scope eyepiece relief on the handle lever. The Type-I bolt has a solid knob and a round handle lever with no relief for a scope eyepiece. There are a few other very minor variations within the types, but these are the three main bolt styles on pre-64 model 70s.

Type-I - 1936-1944
Type-II - 1947-1952
Type-III - 1952-1963

B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys. The one I am lookinf at dates 1953. So it is possible that it should have the solid bolt knob?

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
If it's a 308 and the serial #'s on the bolt and receiver match, it's right....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I take only minor exception to the 'serial number visible on bolt' comment. In my personal experience, for a variety of reasons, more often than not, serial numbers no longer visible on 'pre64' bolts. Normally lightly inscribed, these were intended for keeping matching assemblies together at the factory. Such rather than additional assurance to purchasers of new rifles. Most bolt SNs have simply disappeared (wear on aesthetic removal) over time. If other factors above look right, short of a 'new in box' scenario, I'd not be deterred by lack of visible SN .
It would be interesting to have pre64win weigh in with his experience concerning this matter. If I'd followed the "No visible bolt SN = Tilt" rule, I'd have missed some very nice rifles!!!
My take

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not to hijack the OP's thread (Which NEVER happens on the 'Fire blush), but I have often wondered about the following. Since the serial number on the bolt was clearly put on by hand and by a not very sophisticated means, wouldn't adding a number, or even erasing then adding the "correct" number be something very easy to do by an unscrupulous person?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
bt8897 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I will check for a number , it a pretty worn rifle so it might not be visible

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned very many pre 64 Win 70's and handled that many more. We are talking in the hundreds. The number isn't coming off due to wear. I have yet to see a renumbered bolt match the font etc of the win factory. The must have had a super heavy duty industrial engraver, at least twice the thickness of any engraver I have ever seen. The hollow vs solid is not an issue. Come the end of the month they assembled guns to make quota with whatever parts were available. They were just guns. They sold serial #2 for heaven's sake. I am not sure about model 70 #1 whether they sold it or did anything special with it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I have owned very many pre 64 Win 70's and handled that many more. We are talking in the hundreds. The number isn't coming off due to wear.
The ones that I have seen that did not have a number were obviously ground off and I have seen a few of those.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
sbrmike, I remember an article a number of years ago where they found M70 #1. I think the article was in The American Rifleman. If I recall correctly, it was someone's "truck gun" in a western state for a number of years. Again, if I recall correctly, the owner and the gunsmith kept looking for the serial #, looking right past the "1". Finally, it dawned on them that the "1" was the serial #! Point is, they sold the first one they ever made. Now, we go over every detail like archeologists!

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/17/17.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A bit off topic, but an interesting perspective on this passion of ours. He is part of something I wrote in a PM:

Winchester made 40,795 M70 rifles in 1954 (Rule, p57.) They made 3900 Between April 1 and May 3 of that year, the period when one of mine was made (Rule, p50.) According to a 1954 calendar, not counting weekends, that is 22 work days. I don't know if they were working weekends or how many shifts, but one eight-hour shift, five days a week is 177/day, 22/hour, a rifle every 2 minutes and 42 seconds. My point is they were cranking out M70's, not to mention other models of rifles and shotguns. I know we tend to speak of Pre '64's as "lovingly coddled," but those folks were trying to make a living, and I'm sure they didn't expect their work to be given the levels of forensic examination they now receive.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I have owned very many pre 64 Win 70's and handled that many more. We are talking in the hundreds. The number isn't coming off due to wear.
The ones that I have seen that did not have a number were obviously ground off and I have seen a few of those.

I will venture a guess that although obliterated, there is a trace of a partial number. That is how I should have phrased it originally. As pointed out it is very easy to remove with emory paper and leave no trace. It is very hard to replicate the original electro-pencil engraving.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Re: Bolt SN:

I have one I purchased from a trusted fire member. If the rifle was used, it was less than a little. The bolt SN is there, but you have to look hard for it.

Dad bought me my first back in perhaps 1960. A friend of the family worked for Winchester and when the stock cracked he took it back to have it replaced. It came back with a new stock and the bolt jeweled. Never prove that one today to a collector or Rule. "No, can't be." Yea, it could. grin

Last edited by battue; 06/18/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Only way to replicate the electro-pencil marking is to use an electro-pencil. BTW I have never seen a rifle with the electro-pencil marking worn off, the marking is brurned into the metal it takes lots of polishing to remove it. The metal in the marked area is actually
somewhat hardened.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^??? I think I just learned something. I have never looked closely at how the number was created. I could tell it was hand written, and I always assumed with a vibrating marker like you can buy most anywhere. This marking is mechanical, like many small center punch marks close together. The metal is not heated beyond a minuscule amount due to deformation. It would be incredibly hard to measure the change in temperature. Gunswizard, are you saying an "electro-pencil" is a different process and heats the metal much more?

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/18/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A vibro-etcher uses a reciprocating carbide tool with a point, the marking is a series of dots closely spaced. The electro-pencil uses an electric arc, the part is placed on a plate which carries one side of the current and the pencil has the other side of the current. The handle of the pencil part is well insulated and the part will be hot enough after marking that you won't want to touch it. We used this identical machine in the toolroom to mark jigs and fixtures, it is old technology and has been around for quite a while.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gunswizard, Thanks for the explanation. I learned something new today.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A controversy brewing from my comment concerning bolt numbering. My comments relate to personal experience with interest in Model 70 rifles since the eighties. A Life Member of NRA since 1958 (now Benefactor Member for years). Sustained primary interests since mid-fifties teenager, bolt rifles.
Never tried to annotate my Winchester library to account for the number of Model 70ies I’ve examined. Likely not amounting to “hundreds”. I examine those amounting to some prospective interest in acquiring. I don’t claim ‘expertise’. I do claim ‘experience’ in context of that which has served me well over some happy decades. I do claim ownership of my hypothesis shared above which has worked well for me in understanding the Model 70 and provided a good working formula for my acquisitions in context of “hard to argue with success!”
I don’t know that the ‘sampling’ examined in forming my hypothesis in any manner empirically (statistically) balanced. I do know that it has brought me some fine, bolt-unserialed, rifles! I do know that most have been subjected to a set of Foster headspace gauges under my tenure. Such as routine with most of my susceptible rifles. I do know that most of mine are well within tolerance and such annotated on my XL spreadsheet detailing my guns. That matter and the equally important matter, as noted in a post above, of the right ‘nuanced’ bolt; correctly matching its host rifle characteristics.
One of the no longer whispered confidences concerning the Model 70, particularly within sub-era; parts fungibility. Our Seventy Models so well-crafted over the decades, in many instances, replacement parts with ‘drop-in’ functionality. Thus heralded and coveted “all original” specimen, may indeed possess genetically mixed heritage. Having exercised collector ‘due diligence’, far more likely to achieve positive results than relying on bolt serialization which, if present, might have been ‘authored’ by any scallywag at any point of time! ‘Ultra-clear’ renditions, particularly suspect!
So now, excuse please as I climb down off my soapbox and rack out; late evening even having reached SoCal.
Here unrepented views that have worked well for me and…
My take

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
399 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.