Hop To
#12092116 06/15/17
S
sooner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A friend of mine says that he has a 22 hi-power with British proof marks ,can someone explain this ? Thanks Tom

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sold on the British market - maybe in Canada back in "the day" and made it's way back home. I don't really know and I'm just spit ballin' here.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In WWII there was a program where American citizens could donate arms for the home defense of the British. NOT THE LEND LEASE, that was the government. Those weapons still had to be proofed. Part of the program was the return of the arms, even though few made it back. That is one way they could get British Proofs. I guess any Brit that wanted one of those new Tiger Killing 22 Hi Power's, and bought one and shipped it over, had to get it proofed, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
British law has always maintained that a gun had to survive proof testing before it could be sold in the UK. Well heeled blokes heading out to the ends of the British Empire outfitted themselves in London emporiums where American weaponry as well as domestic stuff was up for grabs. I'll bet there was more than a couple .22HP Savages setting on the racks of the Army-Navy Stores - especially if Savage advertised the killing power of the Imp in British journals as well as over here.

You never hear of any guys who got their asses handed to them by dangerous critters after whacking them with HiPowers. There had to be someone...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
In WWII there was a program where American citizens could donate arms for the home defense of the British. NOT THE LEND LEASE, that was the government. Those weapons still had to be proofed. Part of the program was the return of the arms, even though few made it back. That is one way they could get British Proofs. I guess any Brit that wanted one of those new Tiger Killing 22 Hi Power's, and bought one and shipped it over, had to get it proofed, Joe.

I've read where not many of those donated arms were actually proofed before pressed into the hands of eager/scared Home Guard fellas. Part of the problem was the many oddball (to them) calibers many of those guns were chambered for. They simply didn't have the proof ammo with which to test them (or the time, what with Gerry breathing down their necks). Those weapons wouldn't have mattered much anyway if 15 divisions of German mechanized infantry had stormed ashore in Kent. What they were mainly desperate for was to replace the artillery and anti-tank guns they had to leave behind at Dunkirk.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Was that Gary, or Gerry, breathing down their necks, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned and later sold a 303 Savage that had Britsh Proof marks on it. It happens. Ive also seen several 22 HPs for sale in European auctions in the last 10 years.

Andrew
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know where a 99G in 250 is located that has the British marks. No idea how they got there, but it definitely has them. I did a thread on the gun.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Greetings. Picked up a Model 1899 chambered in .22 HP. Not really sure which version it is as identification so far has been very confusing. S/N is 6 digit starting with 261.

Not looking for value, just trying to understand what it is. It's been fitted with a rubber butt plate. Has also been drilled and tapped with scope rings. I think it is a takedown model as there is a latch on the fore end for easy removal and the barrel twists off after loosening two set screws. There isn't a marking on the frame once the the forend is removed. Hoping to understand when it was made and what "model" of 99 it is. Forward of the rainbow colored lever (case hardened?) is the letter S. Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Latch on the forearm does mean it's a takedown, but there shouldn't be any set screws to remove the barrel. Just open the lever and unscrew. Your rifle probably dates to 1924, and most likely is a first version of the 99F with straight bottomed buttstock and no checkering. If it has a pistol grip and checkering, then it's a 99G - much, much less common in 22HP.

And, yep, the lever is case hardened. You'll enjoy shooting the 22HP, fun cartridge.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I suspect the 'set screws' are plug screws in the scope mount holes on the receiver ring.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thank you for the replies. Here are some pictures of it.

Link to Savage .22 HP

Have been examining it closely without taking it completely apart. The bluing is nice and the stock is in pretty good shape other than a few scratches and the rubber butt plate. Next step is to clean it. Really appreciate the help. I know bullets will be hard to find but will be on the look out. With all the reading I've been doing, I'm getting the itch to shoot it. What would be the period correct scope for it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle, but I do believe it has had some aftermarket mods. Does the checking look factory to you?

I think that is an "H" model, but am not too sure. Others here can probably be of more help. I can say that the set screws on the takedown barrel are either non-factory mods or are very rare factory options...

The butt pad, swivels, checkering and stock finish look to be mods. As far as a scope, that tang site is about as period correct as you're going to find. Unertl and possibly an early Lyman Alaskan would be about as close as you can get.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like a 99G originally, refinished. Set screws are after market, same with d&t and butt pad and sling studs.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks guys. The story I got makes sense now. Will have it checked to make sure it is ok to fire...Barrel doesn't move when screwed into position without the set screws. Weird. Found some bullets and can't wait to shoot it. Any recommendations book wise to learn if I decide to upgrade?

What is D&T?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D&T means drilled and tapped for the scope base holes.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.