Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In my reading thru the recent semi auto thread, I noticed a lot of comments regarding the triggers on many models/styles of rifles from many/most of the manufacturers.

My question, if anyone can answer it:

Now that most all manufacturers have used modern designs and manufacturing to install better OEM triggers in most models of their centerfire rifles, including the inexpensive ones, why have they NOT incorporated them into their rimfire lines?

Outside of a few options (Ruger BX trigger comes to mind, and that's an added cost) trigger technology for rimfires seems to be stuck in the way back machine mode.

Just a thought, did we as shooters not put enough pressure on them as happened (eventually) with their centerfire lines?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Whether Rimfire or centerfire, there is a world of difference between putting a clean light trigger on a bolt action vs a semi auto on a production basis.

In semi autos, no manufacturer can afford to put a light AND safe trigger in a semi auto. Both in terms of up front cost and liability. You WILL NEVER see a fully adjustable match trigger come standard on a semi auto .22 rifle from any major manufacturer. Too unsafe.

In terms of bolt guns-Savage ,Marlin and Ruger ALL have basically the same triggers on their rimfires as on their centerfires.
Browning? well their T bolt triggers suck just as much out of the box as their centerfires do..:)
And the SA-22 has just as mediocre of a pull as their centerfire BAR..

The higher end bolt rifles -Anschutz ,Cooper etc all have excellent triggers..I really don't see what there is to complain about.

Last edited by jk16; 06/17/17.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
jk,

thanks, I hadn't really thought of it in quite those terms.

But is it too much to ask for a "crisp" trigger. No need for light, as in the 2-3 lb range necessarily, but a crisp, non creepy trigger goes a long way to helping with accuracy. Doesn't even have to be "match grade" or adjustable even. I'd be happy with a good 5-6 lb snappy breaking trigger.

I guess part of my line of thinking is if I wanted to buy a $300 gun and add $$$$ for a trigger and other stuff, why not just buy an expensive .22 in the first place?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
CZ 452/453/455 bolt action rim fires strike a good balance, cost vs performance, with an easily (spring kit) tuned trigger which is also very good right out of the box. The current 455 can also be upgraded with the CZ fly trigger. That has had excellent reviews for value and performance.

My Weatherby has XXII has an ok trigger for a sporting 22 semi-auto. I never measured the pull. It seems pretty good.That would be an expensive rifle to produce today. The XXII can be found used fairly easy. Some people dont like used and that may be holding the price down. Then they do cost real money, even used today, they have a following.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All of the Remington 700 type triggers work in the 40X.

I spent a few thousand dollars developing a CZ452 trigger. I was able to get a very reliable 2 oz trigger, BUT! I couldn't get the bolt release to work properly.
I'm headed to the airport, but will post pics later today.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Remington 581 came with a crisp, light trigger. $44.95 (1967)😛

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My guess is that 2 factors - the extra cost of providing a good trigger and the high percentage of rifles that are used by kids - outweighs the consideration of making good triggers standard on rimfires.
It IS good to see the blade style triggers becoming more common on rimfires, and since Savage, Ruger, Marlin are doing it I'm hoping that other makers will feel pressured to compete. I would at least like to see "adult" triggers on adult sized guns.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My Remington 581 came with a crisp, light trigger. $44.95 (1967)😛

I wish my Rem 581 had a light crisp trigger..The rifle will have to wait it's turn, a few 22;s ahead of it needing trigger work.

Doc

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Promised pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not shown in the photo are the rest of the screws, pins, and springs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kragman1
My guess is that 2 factors - the extra cost of providing a good trigger and the high percentage of rifles that are used by idiots - outweighs the consideration of making good triggers standard on rimfires.

There. Fixed that for you..;)

Its the sad reality of 90 percent of the AD related lawsuits Gunmakers deal with every year.

Last edited by jk16; 06/18/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good question Geno but I'd argue that with a few exceptions (CZ, Cooper, Sako) center fire triggers aren't that much better.
Yea....they might be safer (if you're so stupid that you need one of those blade gadgets like the accu-trigger) but most are still heavy and have a lot of creep and/or over travel.
I'm a trigger snob so I just figure the cost of an after market trigger into the equation when looking at new rifles......Or just buy a CZ wink......

PS....The old Remington Walker triggers were the exception but between big R's penny pinching dumbfukery, shade tree gunsmiths, and the ambulance chasers those days are long gone.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/19/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.