Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You Sir are an artist! that rifle is a masterpiece!

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I got this from Chuck Grace this morning. Everything is now done. The gun will be assembled and shipped Monday the 5th.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

This will be a much nicer picture...

Chuck Grace put the gun together today and sent me this picture. To be shipped 2nd day air tomorrow..

Gonna be a busy week... I have a match to shoot this in Saturday.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
wow. I'm sure the rifle will be even better looking in person than it is on film. Very nice. Thanks for taking us along.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey, I'm only halfway there. So far I'm happy with the way it looks. However, from day one this was intended to be a match rifle to be shot in matches. We have really good 100 yd. benchrest matches at the Isabella County Sportsmans Club in Winn, Mi, just a pleasant drive thru the boonies for me. We shoot both full house bench guns and, also, have a factory class that allows shooters to shoot their Rem. and Savage .223's. Winners in both classes get the same prizes, etc.

This shot great last year in the pattern stocks. I'm totally ready and when the gun gets here today, I will immediately clean the barrel, sight it in and shoot groups. I've been lighting candles, making sacrifices (The wife got really mad about the cat.) and praying fervently that it shoots in the new stocks. Whatever, tomorrow night, it and all my benchrest stuff will be loaded in the Porsche and ready to leave early Saturday morning. I will probably be fire forming brass Saturday at the match with Remington's old load of 23-1/2 gr. of 4895. I don't expect to wiin anything but, after the sickness of the last three years, just being there and shooting will be wonderful.

I'll try to get a few pictures when I get the gun and, also, take a couple at the match Sat. Next week will be devoted to serious load work-up as I try to find out just how well I can make it shoot. I have a good, protected 50 and 100 yd. range right here outside my office door. It's been there for twenty years and it makes this sort of thing a lot easier.

I've been tracking the gun on UPS and it should be on the truck for delivery in the next hour or two.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 06/08/17.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

The gun arrived the afternoon. Better pictures coming.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

A better pic of the rifle, now completed, sitting in it's rests, it's intended home.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

Another view. The wood is actually darker than this. The flash washed out the color.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 06/09/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It turned out beautifully. And I am sure will shoot just as well:)

One thing I did not notice earlier was the amount of fiddleback running across the buttstock.

Last edited by jk16; 06/09/17.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

Taken at the gun's first match yesterday. I had only had it for two days so I was fire forming brass. Will have better results when the brass is fire formed three times and I have had time to do load work-up.

It's been quite a while since I could shoot. I was just delighted to be there. Note the old Porsche in the background with the handicapped plates... there's room in the back for all my shooting stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dick-

Excellent thread - thanks for sharing.
Gorgeous rifle - very, very well done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jk16
It turned out beautifully. And I am sure will shoot just as well:)

One thing I did not notice earlier was the amount of fiddleback running across the buttstock.

There's a ton of fiddleback on the cheekpiece side of the butt stock. As time goes by I will get better pictures.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 06/13/17.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Dick-

Excellent thread - thanks for sharing.
Gorgeous rifle - very, very well done!

Thanks... I have a ton of work remaining. I need to make it shoot up to it's potential. There's also some detail work to be done on the stock. The butt plate doesn't fit perfectly. I can fix that. I am going to hand run a couple of coats of final finish on it before I pronounce it done.

Most of the work remaining will be the fire forming and load work-up. I have lots of bullets and powder and a 50 and 100 yd. range right outside my door. It's gonna be fun.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

I took this today whilst doing my second fire forming and load work-up. The bench is handy, just outside my office. So far, my best load seems to be IMR 4895 and the old Remington benchrest bullets. I moly coat all my competiton bullets.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 06/14/17.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

After shooting it a few days I decided to hand rub some finish on the stock. Here it is drying in the vise for a couple of days whilst I clean and size my cases. There is another match next Saturday and I hope to be much better prepared.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

Try again. This is the first image I uploaded to Imgur. The best picture of the completed rifle.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 07/04/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Wow! Outstanding DW.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

From day one this gun was intended to shoot in matches. This is the first target from the first match I shot it in. The range was 100 yds. I kinda yanked on the trigger on target one with bad results. The rest are O.K. This is a small gun, just 8-1/4 lbs. with scope. I'm competing against heavy and expensive BR guns... So far, I'm happy.

I've had some health problems the last few years... much better now. Hopefully as I do load work-up and practice I will get better.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 07/05/17.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
It's been over a month since I shot the above target and I've learned a lot. First, if you are not really fussy how the Unertl is mounted you will shoot like a blithering idiot... been there, done that. The guy in Ohio, the former Unertl employee, coached me a bit and that problem is cured.

Good news... I have found that Isreali 2015, made only in 1990 and 1991, works very well in this cartridge. Really good news since I have a good supply of it. It meters well thru my Jones measure. I haven't chronographed it yet but am guessing that it gives me more velocity than the IMR 4895 that I had been using.

The bad news... since, due to health reasons and old age, I haven't shot much competition the last few years, I really need a lot of practice to catch up. Even with a gun that shoots much better than I have any right to expect, I can still screw up badly. (Remember... this ain't no bench gun, it's an 8-1/4 lb. Ruger No. 1.) I shot in a match last week and, again, made a complete arse of myself. The wind was howling and I simply couldn't handle it. During a short calm, I found that I was much smarter than in a 20 mph wind.

On the whole, I'm happy with the results of a very long project. I wanted and got a 50's or 60's varmint rifle. The aesthetics and workmanship are what I wanted. The wood is excellent. It is now accurate enough to give me the opportunity to get off my butt and work hard enough to shoot in a manner that won't be embarrassing.

I'm still thinking about asking the local rancher if I can pop a couple of his ground hogs...

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

The other side of the Ruger.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.