Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I need help with a custom rifle I purchased. There is a lever to open the floorplate that operates at a far softer touch than I'd prefer, especially when the magazine is full and the spring is compressed- potentially discharging the contents of the magazine at an inconvenient time. I am looking for a solution (other than duct tape) for keeping the floorplate closed when in the field. I cannot replace the floorplate and trigger guard as they appear to be a custom unit, with the rear of the trigger guard extending well into the palm of the grip. Any helpful references or pointing in the direction of a smith who might be able to add some sort of safety button or screw would be appreciated.

photos:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like you could remove the tab inside the floor plate that the lever actuates and add a little metal to it or have some one mak a new one so it engages further

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have set spring loaded ball bearings through the floor plate to "click" past so those old fashioned levers will stay shut. You make a small cylinder with a ball and spring that can go through the plate with only the ball sticking up. The lever "clicks" either into or over the ball and stays put. Easy to make and they work well The cylinder protrudes into the b\mag box a bit so it must be short enough to clear the magazine spring, but you'll find that you have about .220" to .250" to work with and it's just fine About 1/8 is used inside the plate itself and what ever sticks up clears the spring because of the shape of the mag spring itself and the small recess within the plate on the inside. I know of a few done that way that did cause the magazine to loose one round of capacity, but the owners thought 4 round that were 100% reliable were better then 5 rounds that sometimes go "bomb-away".
Depending on your caliber, some Mausers have a bit of "give" with 5 rounds in the mag and some caliber fill the mag 100%. Those that give a bit of space can be made to work with no problems, but those that fill the mag up close to being "tight" with 5 rounds will probably cost you one round of capacity to make this modification.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
JB Weld

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first thought was the same as shizn's. Use a ball plunger to create an interference fit. Google "ball plunger" to see the different styles. InternetGuru, can you take some detailed photos of the latch and how is locks on the inside? More pictures would help.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A judicious tap with a small hammer in the right location will tighten it up based on where the engagement is. Adding a tiny dimple if none exists on the engagement side will add resistance.

All to fix a problem that should never have been made in the first place...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.