Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe its need verses greed?I don`t know.Looking in my gun safe I do not need all the rifles I own.I mean after all you can only shoot one at a time.Right?Unless of course you are Chuck Norris or Shrapnel.I have actually pared my Shotguns down to one and my hand guns down to six.I really do not need anymore,but you never know.Rifles are a different story.Once I get one that really shoots and I mean itty bitty bench rest groups,it is so damn hard to part with them.So my question is what is enough?A dozen lever actions?50 bolt actions.How may 22LR`s should you own?Man they are like popcorn,can you ever have enough? I guess I am a Rifle looney.No hope for me.There will always be another Rifle"just to try out"Then again I do not drink,smoke or do drugs.Got to spend my money on something.Then came the revelation.It is not guns I am addicted to.It`s reloading.I have to buy guns to feed my reloading Jones.I am glad I got this off my chest. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Confession is good for the soul, but I just can't seem to own up to having done anything wrong. I think my wife sees it a bit differently, but she's just being judgmental.
smile

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i put the limit at having more then one in each corner of the house, attic, garage, and backed up with the safe full. i just had to build a new cabinet for the ones that caused my wife to glare when making the bed. Sheesh! there were only four rifles and 4 handguns on my side of the bed! she may be comfortable with just a 357 in her night stand but i NEED backups for when the Chinese come over the ridge!

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/17/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Huntz

Interesting perspective and I don't have a god answer. I have more than I 'need' PLUS I've HAD so many over the years that I don't feel deprived or pity
for myself.

Our personalities dictate what we FEEL that we need or want. From my perspective I 'want' 2 as a minimum as to
have backups.

Beings that I have all my basis covered, I'm not looking for any more AT THE SAME TIME there are a FEW rifles
I would like to have/play with. IF a god deal comes along I'll jump.

As I said it's not a good answer but this is where I am.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Huntz, I'm totally with you. I enjoy the process of finding the right load for a rifle, then it's on to the next one. I usually have 6-7 going at a time, and it certainly is hard to get rid of the ones that shoot little bitty groups!

Last edited by JohnChilds; 06/17/17.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't know there is a difference between need and want.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntz: I have a LOT of guns - I feel not an ounce of greed in doing so.
I do have MUCH pride of ownership though.
And I shoot a lot of them and that doubles the "fun".
Never even considered my "gun hobby" as greedy?
Although I have made a LOT of profit over the last half century's worth of gun trading - is that where you imagine greed coming into the equation?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Need? What does need have to do with it?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It doesn't even have to make sense. I want a Savage 99 in .308 even though I already have one in .300 Sav. I can't come up with a need for one but I still want one nonetheless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
It doesn't even have to make sense. I want a Savage 99 in .308 even though I already have one in .300 Sav. I can't come up with a need for one but I still want one nonetheless.

I've been that way about most rifles for a long time. Ohio was a shotgun only state until a few years ago, and I had no justification for me to buy a rifle. Didn't stop me from wanting one, but as a single income household, my wants took a backseat to my needs. Since ohio is now a rifle state, I now own one for large game. (Previously, just .22lrs and muzzleloader.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am past the need part.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Way past need.....

Do or do not, there is no try.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have 10 grandkids who deer hunt, and should have 2-3 more in the next 5 years. i've given several rifles already and will give each of them a rifle and shotgun before i'm done. as far as need vs want, i buy a rifle, scope it up and shoot a few deer and an elk or two, then set it aside for the day the kid can take it as his/her first big game rifle. everybody wins, as i get to hunt with many different rifles and each kids ends up with their own gun.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
As long as we have one active gooberment official trying to take them away from us .
I NEED as many as I can acquire.

No real want about it My finances are the only thing from holding me back.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I always tell my friend When I got married I had

16 ga 870
6mm Remington 788
Remington nylon 66
50 cal TC muzzleloader
22 Ruger auto pistol

Should have stopped right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i want therefore i need! simple as that. the former changes almost daily, the latter keeps up
i just swapped a 300 eg for a 30-30 g 99 savages. because i wanted a TD 30-30. now i want/need a 300 sav TD. see how it works.
and contrary to what the wife says it is not a sickness. oooooh! a TD in 250-3000 !!!!

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/19/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i want therefore i need! simple as that. the former changes almost daily, the latter keeps up
i just swapped a 300 eg for a 30-30 g 99 savages. because i wanted a TD 30-30. now i want/need a 300 sav TD. see how it works.
and contrary to what the wife says it is not a sickness. oooooh! a TD in 250-3000 !!!!

I used to hunt with my Great Grandparents takedown in .300 Sav as a teen. When they died I was outbid on that rifle at the auction (honestly never got over that) and have always wanted a takedown since. I had a chance at a very reasonable .30-30 takedown some years ago but as much as I like the 30-30 it just doesn't do anything for me in a Savage 99. Anyway, I have a solid frame .300 and I very much want a .250, .303, and .308 in a 99. So I guess the 99 sickness is infecting me too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Confession is good for the soul, but I just can't seem to own up to having done anything wrong. I think my wife sees it a bit differently, but she's just being judgmental.
smile

Heh-heh. Have to agree with this. Seems about right.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Need: one shotgun, 12-gauge; one .22 cal rimfire rifle; one centerfire deer rifle, .30 caliber. That's all I "need" and that's all I had for the first 45 years of my life (which equates to the first 35 years of my hunting life). I killed more game for the table with those 3 than I have with all the guns I've bought since! I suppose I should add a center fire handgun to that list, for personal defense purposes, but that's a small quibble only.

But I am grateful to the good Lord and the framers of the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution that I don't have to get by with what I "need" only.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As the former Senator Phil Gramm, TX, once said, "I own more shotguns than I need, but not as many as I want"

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.