Retired cat herder.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hell of a deal.

Not unprecedented though.

Black Saturday fires in Australia come to mind, or the Great fire in Peshtigo.

An old Division Supervisor told me once that a manager owes it to his people to never, ever be surprised.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't really want to think on it. My son is trained to fight wildfires, and can receive a call to hop on a plane at any time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That is terrible but I can't help but wonder who in the hell would sit in their car until they died?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I were caught ahead of a conservation department controlled burn on a big block of public land. We were coyote calling and came in from the south. The conservation department set the fire from the north. The boy and I were about two miles from the truck calling in a deep brushy creek bottom when I first smelled the smoke. The smell became fairly strong on the wind so I decided to climb to higher ground to hopefully get a better view. About halfway up ashes were mixed into the wind like snow flurries. We picked up the pace and once we got high enough to see I could tell the bottom below us was smoke covered. There's no cell service so we hustled our butts off the 1 1/2 miles cross country back to the truck. Once we were able to drive out a way I circled around and saw fresh tire tracks on a logging road and followed them to where a dozen state trucks and trailers were parked. Nobody was around but I could hear heavy equipment running back in the direction we had been hunting. Once I got back to town I called the sheriff's office and was told that the conservation department was doing a controlled burn in that area. I explained how we were nearly trapped down in that holler and they said the conservation agent would contact me asap. He never did, I got busy and let it go. It was an interesting experience.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You don't want to have to rely on a car in a fire. A few years ago 2 firefighters in Idaho died when smoke choked out their engine. If its thick enough to kill your car, it's thick enough to kill you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
My son and I were caught ahead of a conservation department controlled burn on a big block of public land. We were coyote calling and came in from the south. The conservation department set the fire from the north. The boy and I were about two miles from the truck calling in a deep brushy creek bottom when I first smelled the smoke. The smell became fairly strong on the wind so I decided to climb to higher ground to hopefully get a better view. About halfway up ashes were mixed into the wind like snow flurries. We picked up the pace and once we got high enough to see I could tell the bottom below us was smoke covered. There's no cell service so we hustled our butts off the 1 1/2 miles cross country back to the truck. Once we were able to drive out a way I circled around and saw fresh tire tracks on a logging road and followed them to where a dozen state trucks and trailers were parked. Nobody was around but I could hear heavy equipment running back in the direction we had been hunting. Once I got back to town I called the sheriff's office and was told that the conservation department was doing a controlled burn in that area. I explained how we were nearly trapped down in that holler and they said the conservation agent would contact me asap. He never did, I got busy and let it go. It was an interesting experience.

Glad you made it out. Now that I can see happening. Sitting in your car until death is pretty messed up IMO

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It the article, the road itself melted, and fire blocked any further travel. They died like rats in a trap.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Oh Jesus...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Depending on the fuel type and load, a vehicle can be a good place to shelter. Provided that you stay low.

Sheltering in your vehicle while in heavy brush or timber won't work however. The residence time of the fire is too long.

Most people wait too long to evacuate or it turns political.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have been right through that area. narrow roads and steep terrain. lots of pine with cork oak and a tree that is like our Madrone. terraced vineyards scattered around with small villages.
wonderful people. we ate one night in a little tavern pizza joint and all we could get across was french fries. soccer team came in adopted us and we didn't leave until 3 am.
i like Portugal , but love Spain.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/18/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 55 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.