Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
showcases some of the best rifle builders in the last 50-60 yrs? If so, who wrote it, what is the name of it, and where can someone buy it at?

If no one has, is there a chance that any of the gunwriters here be up for the challenge? I know it would take a lot of research (time!). Maybe some of you could come together in writing it if there would be a demand for one. I have seen several threads like the one on here now with someone trying to find out who might have built the rifle they had found. Some of the customs are easy for an expert to tell, others not so much. But for someone like myself, I have not had the opportunity to have or even hold one that was built by one of the true masters of the craft. Even if one writer was to take the NW states, another the middle West, and so on. I realize that it might not be on the NY bestsellers list, but with a majority of rifle builders going to plastic/composite stocks, I would think that there needs to be someone/something to chronicle this part of American heritage.

Or is it pure lunacy to even ask if it would be worthwhile to tackle such an endeavor?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might need to narrow your focus a bit, as to what sort of customs: traditional, LR, tactical, ultra-light, etc. Lots of specialization out there these days, and not a lot of cross-over at the top end.

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/17/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re- read your post (both eyes open this time) and you seem to be interested in traditional customs. There's lots of info out there, but maybe not in one book. Try looking in a major book store or at Amazon, or even try Google. There are a few periodicals that often have articles devoted to custom makers or single examples of their craft.

Classic Arms Journal is an online magazine with articles about various aspects of the craft by the guys who do it. Subscibers get access to past issues as well as current ones. Nice stuff.

I think writers welcome book ideas about as much as the parents of unruly children do advice on child-rearing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A small hijack, speaking of Amazon, I was going to order some frames for my beehives today, and Amazon wanted to charge me sales tax. I canceled the order since I am not accustomed to paying sales tax unless the place that I am ordering from has a store presence in my State. Is this normal with Amazon? I don't think I have in the past from them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Haven't figured out the 'trigger" as yet.

My state requires that you keep track of stuff you buy tax-free and pay it on your tax return. Imagine they must get $5 or $10 a year with that.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century: Michael Petrov

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Gunmakers-Century-Michael-Petrov/dp/1931220212

I enjoyed it.

Bruce

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, Bruce! I'll check it out.

MilesPatton...for the last few years, I have bought, sold, traded, and collected fishing lures. I use a good bit of shipping tape and have always bought it on ebay. This last time I ordered it, they charged me sales tax. I went round and round with the seller about it. He said that he sells on Amazon and he has to charge sales tax because he drop ships the tape and the warehouse they ship it from is here in LA. Whether true or not, I have no idea. It did come in an Amazon box, but the return address is Las Vegas, NV. Never was great at Geography in school, but best I remember there are 4 or 5 states between there and here in little old Louisiana.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcp

I enjoyed it.

Bruce

While Michael's books are nothing short of outstanding, his focus was on the makers of 100 years ago, not recently, as the OP is looking for. Do a search on Tom Turpin. He did a great book on contemporary gunmakers. Also, do a search on Stevan Dodd Hughes.

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by milespatton
A small hijack, speaking of Amazon, I was going to order some frames for my beehives today, and Amazon wanted to charge me sales tax. I canceled the order since I am not accustomed to paying sales tax unless the place that I am ordering from has a store presence in my State. Is this normal with Amazon? I don't think I have in the past from them. miles
Amazon tax is legitimate and inescapable
It was recently announced that Oklahoma and Arkansas will begin collecting sales taxes on Amazon.com purchases as of March 1, 2017. That will leave Hawaii, Idaho, [not any more] Maine, and New Mexico as the only remaining states that impose sales taxes, but do not tax purchases from the internet giant. Additionally, Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not collect sales tax statewide, including purchases from Amazon.

In And Then There Were Six: Amazon Expands Its Sales Tax Collection, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy’s (ITEP) Tax Justice Blog pointed out this “dramatic reversal,” observing that “as recently as 2011[,] Amazon was only collecting sales tax in five states.” Now, with the addition of Oklahoma, “the number of states in which Amazon.com collects sales tax will have leapt from 29 to 40 in just two months.” Adding in Arkansas brings that count to 41 states.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It will be hard for me to cut back on Amazon purchases, but I will try. I use them very little to start with, and since I am already mad about the amount that Arkansas charges around the State, I will try to find another venue. miles

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by bcp

I enjoyed it.

Bruce

While Michael's books are nothing short of outstanding, his focus was on the makers of 100 years ago, not recently, as the OP is looking for. Do a search on Tom Turpin. He did a great book on contemporary gunmakers. Also, do a search on Stevan Dodd Hughes.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will check them out!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Trying to get the thread title back where it was. Sorry for the hi jack. miles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do a search on Amazon or Abe books for Modern Custom Guns which was published in 1997 or 1998. That was followed by a second edition published in 2013. I no longer have any copies of Modern Custom Guns, but I do still have a few copies of the 2nd Edition. The 2nd Edition is $50.00 shipped and, if desired, personalized. Custom Firearms Engraving came out a year or so after Modern Custom Guns and has long been out-of-print. I have no copies left, but they do show up from time to time on eBay, Amazon and Abe Books. Shoot me a PM if you
d like a copy of Modern Custom Guns, 2nd Edition.

Tom Turpin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for chiming in with that info Tom, hope you're doing well.

Regards,

Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you, Mr. Turpin. Didn't know you were on here. Sent you a PM! Thank all of you for your help! Eddie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to see you around TT.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been around all along Rick, just not posting that much.

TT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too busy having fun with, I mean training, hunting bird dogs and planning the next "last" fine custom rifle😁

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know me too well Phil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to vigilant Tom as bird dogs and bird hunting can lead to fine shotguns and therein lies madness

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.