Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Except for the forearm, it ain't a bad looking old rifle.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lots of good hunting character, I like it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
have a new/oldstock forearm coming. i am happy with it as i wanted just what it is a old honest gun that i can hunt and not freak out if it gets a ding. wish it could talk. maybe ChanceD knows its lingo.
thanks to Chance for a check mark on my bucket list.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the length and weight of the barrel, would you say?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
20 inches and fairly light but not as light as my F. its 5/8's at the snable and 9/16 at the muzzle. got one stashed?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I think you have a shooter there.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Calhoun, you are right and i was wrong, sort of grin
the 375 will not fit in the 30-30 set up receiver with 220g bullets anyway. plus being straight cased (nom) the case jams on the spindle. certainly not going to change this rifle but might some other down the line.
my other question to all you true collectors/tinkerers is what are the odds of other takedown setups fitting this action? surely there other bottleneck cartridges close to the 30-30 that might work with the innards, but how about head space.
this in my first takedown and i am an inveterate tinkerer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.303 will, and .22HP will feed a couple (but probably not a magazine full) if the stars are in alignment. The bugabear is whether a different TD barrel will A) index, and B) headspace. It's a real crapshoot, and luck comes into play. I would say, from experience, that the odds are 50-50, at best.

What's headspace like on this one? M1899/99 bolts came in a lot of variations in length. (They were fit-and-tried at the factory until a suitable combination was found.) Were it me, and I had to have a second barrel, I would just try another barrel and be prepared to mix and match bolts until I found a combo that was acceptable to both barrels- but then again one of the two may still not be optimal headspace-wise.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
not real sure of the head space on this one. the rounds i fired , the primers backed out slightly on my handloads which were lite loaded for plinking. the factory Rems. i found, they didn't. being they head space on the rim my next task is to measure the thickness of the rims and see if that is in play.
the lite loads may not have expanded enough to grip but normally that results in flattened cups. guess i am going to have to sneak in an order for go/no go gauges after momma goes to work!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
plus shoot a bunch more!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't forget the 25-35 would load and feed as well as a 22HP. Wouldn't be "proper" for a 99G, but would be fun.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
oooooh i like that! so many oldies but goodies i have forgotten. i even have tong tools for the 25-35.

haven't unscrewed the barrel yet as its real tight. got it soaking with break free right now. would heating the receiver with mommas hair drier (while she is gone of course) help?

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/21/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...unless somebody "permatized" the barrel to the action sometime along the way.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
don't want to hear that ! be my luck though

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
20 inches and fairly light but not as light as my F. its 5/8's at the snable and 9/16 at the muzzle. got one stashed?

Well, I found a 20" takedown 30/30 barrel for a junker 300 G I got from pwdr but it seems really light and short for a G. My murrays is buried from the move so I can't for the life of me remember the specs on a factory 30/30 G barrel. It was a degree or two past index so it got the treatment to get that fixed, but haven't checked headspace or fired it yet. Lots of gap on the forearm so I'm guessing this barrel is from another (lightweight) model. I'm thinking it will ride just fine in the Jeep with nary a complaint about how ugly it is. The extra .410 barrel will be handy for grouse.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
extra 410 barrel? i wish!
i ordered a replacement today from Macon as the buttstock is also a replacement. spent the day shooting it off and on and its a fine shooter!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roy, that's an early lightweight barrel. Compare the barrel address with the pics in my book, that'll tell you what era it's from.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
wyo1895, got an address and price for your book? do you take checks or paypal?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Roy, that's an early lightweight barrel. Compare the barrel address with the pics in my book, that'll tell you what era it's from.

Thanks David, it is an early barrel, but all my supplies are buried in the garage in boxes, including books. When I find them I'll look up the barrel address. All I've managed to liberate so far is fishing tackle. Living on the river a man has to have priorities. grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Roy ,don't know if this will help but here ate the first 4 styles from Murray's 3rd
will see if i can get a good one of the later but am eating a bowl of mint chip ice cream and can't do that and fight photobucket at the same samre/
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.