Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12033370 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
AIH 300 BP 2
#12033467 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
AH64guy Online content
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
North VA
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?

#12033556 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: AH64guy]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?



Until I know of a better way ... I've been resting it on the pads on front of limbs when cocking. I see no real issue with that but I'm just a 1st time xbow owner. Lol. I think a person would have to get pretty rough with it to cause an issue there. My dealer wasn't hesitant about doing it either when I demoed it. I'm open to suggestions though.

Between the integrated and very simple crank system, the awesome trigger, and the way this thing just handles in general ... I was impressed! But again, it's my 1st crossbow. Still not sure about the optics but they aren't a deal breaker. They're useable for sure.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12035173 - 05/16/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
AH64guy Online content
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
North VA
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.

#12035388 - 05/16/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: AH64guy]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.



You can push in on the button that releases the crank system, and while cranking, the clicking noise is non-existent on the Ravin. Hopefully that made sense! Lol. It is a nice option for doing a reload in a tree stand I would think. Also, I wouldn't see any issue of not being able to reload while sitting down in a tree stand.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12037176 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
AH64guy Online content
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Online Content
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,919
North VA
Thanks - The narrow profile of the bow would be the cat's meow for sitting reload.

#12037639 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
goldroger Offline
Member
goldroger  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
Iowa City, IA
Op got a very nice crossbow, been looking to pick one up but a little twisted with choice but this seems really convincing.

#12037642 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
goldroger Offline
Member
goldroger  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.




really nice, i bet it cost top $$$

#12037831 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: goldroger]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by goldroger
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.




really nice, i bet it cost top $$$



I'll be honest, I shot the R9 and its just as sweet! You're only giving up about 30 FPS by going with the R9 and you'd save a decent amount of money. Only reason I went with the R15 was because I have a couple really good ground blinds on fields where I might be tempted at a longer 50yd or 60yd shot "If" the right deer presents himself. Just thought the extra speed may help when hunting on the ground. Plus, I knew if it bought the R9 I'd always be wondering why I didn't go with the R15. Lol! It was pricey but I had a pretty good slush fund I had been saving up for this purchase.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12050862 - 05/23/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,561
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage_99  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,561
My crossbow is lots of 'new' fun. With a lifetime of owning guns the xbow is something I can learn and shoot right here in the basement at night after dinner.

It makes NO noise and is fun!!


That the first shot from it's cold barrel from my C.F. hunting rifles hit where I want it at 200 yds is more important to me that what groups it may shoot at 100 yds!

My match rifles must shoot groups. We get sighting shots at matches!
#12058059 - 05/28/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 15
Emuckfwa Offline
Member
Emuckfwa  Offline
Member

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 15
SE Alabama
Been using an Excalibur Phoenix for about 4 years now. Couldn't be happier. Has the 4x ShadowZone scope on it. Once you set up the scope for the speed of your bow it holds zero year after year. I set mine up like a rifle zeroed at 30 yards and within a inch or two out to 50 yards. But honestly, their loud and deer can easily jump the arrow beyond 30 yards. Most of my kills have been 20 or less yards.. Also, you can cock it in the tree stand. I really like it over a bow because I can anticipate my shot without having to wait for an opportunity to draw or hold a draw for a longtime. Each season a just shoot a couple of bolts to verify I am still on zero and then I'm ready to hunt.

#12058479 - 05/28/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 982
01Foreman400 Online happy
Campfire Regular
01Foreman400  Online Happy
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 982
Georgia
Did the dampeners work well?


You ain't about that life.
#12058546 - 05/28/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 15
Emuckfwa Offline
Member
Emuckfwa  Offline
Member

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 15
SE Alabama
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.

#12059649 - 05/29/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: 01Foreman400]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Did the dampeners work well?



Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12059663 - 05/29/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 982
01Foreman400 Online happy
Campfire Regular
01Foreman400  Online Happy
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 982
Georgia
Originally Posted by Emuckfwa
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Did the dampeners work well?



Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.


Thanks for the replies. It was directed to anyone that has experience. LOL

I've got a R9 on order and will order a set.


You ain't about that life.
#12078223 - 06/07/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: 284LUVR]  
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,561
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage_99  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,561
My first crossbow continues to be daily fun and enjoyment for me. I shoot it in my basement and it's staying sighted in and hitting the target right near it's center.

It's something I can do with no noise and it's good practice.


Last edited by Savage_99; 06/07/17.

That the first shot from it's cold barrel from my C.F. hunting rifles hit where I want it at 200 yds is more important to me that what groups it may shoot at 100 yds!

My match rifles must shoot groups. We get sighting shots at matches!
#12097714 - 06/18/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
Hogwild7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Hogwild7  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

#12097921 - 06/18/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,090
MILES58 Offline
Campfire Guide
MILES58  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,090
Minnesota
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm also open to suggestions on broadheads for my crossbow, if anyone knows what might shoot good out of it??? I am currently shooting the solid 1piece machined G5 Montecs from my current compound setup and really like them. Might try similar with my Ravin.


I have killed deer with 2 blade Zwickeys, 2 inch rages, 3 blade Muzzy trocars, 3 blade NAP thunderheads and 4 blade NAP crossfires. All worked just fine. half of the deer were shot through the heart. The rest were equally well hit.

I was very surprised to see the lung damage on two identical hits with the 4 blade NAPs produced quite noticeably more lung damage (both were center lung double lung hits). My wife who holds the light when I am gutting made note of the damage as soon as I opened the chest. Both deer went almost identical distance after the shot. Both deer started heavy bleeding much sooner. Both deer were reduced to a wobbly walk by 20 yards. Both deer went a little less distance than I averaged with other heads. I bough more of them and will shoot moredeer with them this year in the hope that I see more of the same and that those two were not just coincidence which I consider a good possibility.

#12098599 - 06/19/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: Hogwild7]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.



Wow! That would be a heartbreaker! Hope you can get it taken care of.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12113732 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Great news today! If I'm reading this link correctly, I think my home state of Illinois just passed new law yesterday of full inclusion of Xbows for everyone during entire archery season. That would be great! I'll definitely be getting the opportunity to put the smack down on a deer this Fall with my Raviin. That's exciting! Looking forward to a new style of hunting.


http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...AID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=104353


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12114054 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 602
LEADMINER Offline
Campfire Regular
LEADMINER  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 602
S.W. Wis
Ricky- just North of you in Wis. You probably already know we passed a similar reg here three seasons ago. I messed up my drawing arm so went with a Mission that I have been very happy with. They are a little cumbersome compared to conventional bows but they really shoot! Good luck. Bruce

#12114683 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,662
Ebby Offline
Campfire Guide
Ebby  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,662
Middle TN
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

#12114901 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: Ebby]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by Ebby
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee



I think you'll really like that Ravin! I can't wait to hunt with mine this Fall.

Best of Luck with your new R9!


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12125805 - 07/03/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
Hogwild7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Hogwild7  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
My bow came back last Friday haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. But I am pleased with the speed they fixed it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
383 registered members (257heaven, 223, 10gaugemag, 3040Krag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 987 guests, and 454 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
AIH 160 3









Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.103s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 1.0787 MB (Peak: 1.4309 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-08-22 12:47:11 UTC