Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12078223 - 06/07/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: 284LUVR]  
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage_99  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

My first crossbow continues to be daily fun and enjoyment for me. I shoot it in my basement and it's staying sighted in and hitting the target right near it's center.

It's something I can do with no noise and it's good practice.

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/07/17.

That the first shot from it's cold barrel from my C.F. hunting rifles hit where I want it at 200 yds is more important to me that what groups it may shoot at 100 yds!

My match rifles must shoot groups. We get sighting shots at matches!
CMG 300 BP

#12097714 - 06/18/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Hogwild7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Hogwild7  Offline
Campfire Regular

I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

#12097921 - 06/18/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
MILES58 Offline
Campfire Guide
MILES58  Offline
Campfire Guide

Minnesota
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm also open to suggestions on broadheads for my crossbow, if anyone knows what might shoot good out of it??? I am currently shooting the solid 1piece machined G5 Montecs from my current compound setup and really like them. Might try similar with my Ravin.

I have killed deer with 2 blade Zwickeys, 2 inch rages, 3 blade Muzzy trocars, 3 blade NAP thunderheads and 4 blade NAP crossfires. All worked just fine. half of the deer were shot through the heart. The rest were equally well hit.

I was very surprised to see the lung damage on two identical hits with the 4 blade NAPs produced quite noticeably more lung damage (both were center lung double lung hits). My wife who holds the light when I am gutting made note of the damage as soon as I opened the chest. Both deer went almost identical distance after the shot. Both deer started heavy bleeding much sooner. Both deer were reduced to a wobbly walk by 20 yards. Both deer went a little less distance than I averaged with other heads. I bough more of them and will shoot moredeer with them this year in the hope that I see more of the same and that those two were not just coincidence which I consider a good possibility.

#12098599 - 06/19/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: Hogwild7]  
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Wow! That would be a heartbreaker! Hope you can get it taken care of.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12113732 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Great news today! If I'm reading this link correctly, I think my home state of Illinois just passed new law yesterday of full inclusion of Xbows for everyone during entire archery season. That would be great! I'll definitely be getting the opportunity to put the smack down on a deer this Fall with my Raviin. That's exciting! Looking forward to a new style of hunting.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...AID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=104353

Alpha

#12114054 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
LEADMINER Offline
Campfire Regular
LEADMINER  Offline
Campfire Regular

S.W. Wis
Ricky- just North of you in Wis. You probably already know we passed a similar reg here three seasons ago. I messed up my drawing arm so went with a Mission that I have been very happy with. They are a little cumbersome compared to conventional bows but they really shoot! Good luck. Bruce

#12114683 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Ebby Offline
Campfire Guide
Ebby  Offline
Campfire Guide

Middle TN
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

#12114901 - 06/27/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: Ebby]  
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Ebby
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

I think you'll really like that Ravin! I can't wait to hunt with mine this Fall.

Best of Luck with your new R9!

#12125805 - 07/03/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Hogwild7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Hogwild7  Offline
Campfire Regular

My bow came back last Friday haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. But I am pleased with the speed they fixed it.

#12131726 - 07/06/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
shortactionsmoker Offline
Campfire Tracker
shortactionsmoker  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Western Kentucky
We've been selling the heck out of the Ravin R9 and R15. A buddy of mine bought one (R15) and I helped him sight it in. Fast and accurate. He shot three arrows into a group the size of a dip can at 60 yards.

And yes, I watched him shoot it at 100. Three arrows into about a 6" group. He said he had no intentions of shooting at a deer that far, but said coyotes were in trouble if they came by his stand this fall!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Bravo

#12143479 - 07/13/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: Troy66]  
SD65 Offline
SD65  Offline

SE, PA
Originally Posted by Troy66
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370

For an entry level xbow, the Sniper is an excellent value. Even though manufactured in China, it offers very good quality and features for the $$.

You can find it for around $225 shipped on Ebay or from Molly's Outfitters here for $239 shipped.

http://mymollys.com/product/centerpoint-sniper-370-camo-crossbow-package/

For those wishing to save money on a viable xbow target, you can stuff a large box with plastic bags or shrink wrap and tape/paint box to your liking. It will stop a bolt traveling in excess of 300fps without damage to vanes.

SD

#12206487 - 08/14/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
cooperfan Offline
Campfire Regular
cooperfan  Offline
Campfire Regular

SE Michigan
Going with crossbow version (red collar) 100 grain Rage Hypodermic broadheads for my R9. For deer

Last edited by cooperfan; 08/14/17.
#12339511 - 10/18/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
captbutch Offline
Campfire Regular
captbutch  Offline
Campfire Regular

Michiana
Just bought the R15 too. So far I'm impressed! Very user friendly, easy to cock, accurate, handles great!
Have had one issue so far, the serving on the string was starting to separate..Called Ravin CS and they sent a new string and cables
the next day. Time will tell but I love it so far!

'' If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.''
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
630 registered members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 66 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.