-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Twitch Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Santiam, I've drifted through these parts a time or two, just never stepped up to memorize another forum moniker and password. Reckon you've seen me other places wink

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guess I am just lucky, as the wife fully understands drying wall tents in the living room, the need for a variety of arms and rods, and will buck up with no complaints in whatever weather mother nature dishes out.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thats awful narrow minded of her ...Least U didn't use the wash machine a few feet away...GRINNN...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's your house too. At least you're not cooking it on the stove.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how do you rendered bear fat? Just cook it down or what?

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In answer to a couple posts.

One can render bear fat down by slow cooking on a stove under relatively low heat, ( a cast iron pan works well) then pouring the lard off, and letting it cool/harden. Low heat- don't burn it! Remove the cracklings when rendered out and just keep adding...

Makes the best pastries/pies ever!

Assuming it is not tainted with wild onions or such...

I have previously posted a picture of skinning out a frozen caribou in the living room.... coming up on 40 (marriage) - you would think she'd be used to this kind of stuff by now, but noooooo....

Last edited by las; 06/14/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy. Put a bunch of fat in a large kettle and turn on the heat. The clear stuff will appear and that's what you put in jars to save

Never rendered bear fat, but have done a lot of pork fat, on the kitchen stove. I always put a little water in at first to keep from scorching the fat. It will go away as steam as the rendering processes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not bear fat, but it gives an idea as to the feelings about grease by other cultures.

Good Grease
The hunters went out with guns
at dawn.
We had no meat in the village,
no food for the tribe and the dogs.
No caribou in the caches.

All day we waited.
At last!
As darkness hung at the river
we children saw them far away.
Yes! They were carrying caribou!
We jumped and shouted!

By the fires that night
we feasted.

The old ones chuckled,
sucking and smacking,
sopping the juices with sourdough bread.
The grease would warm us
when hungry winter howled.

Grease was beautiful
oozing,
dripping and running down our chins,
brown hands shining with grease.
We talk of it
when we see each other
far from home.

Remember the marrow
sweet in the bones?
We grabbed for them like candy.
Good.
Gooooood.

Good grease.

Mary TallMountain

Had a friend who always had a can of bear grease around for his boots. I sure miss him and his ways.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Otter6
Bear grease was the best muzzle loader patch lube I've ever used.

Originally Posted by Otter6
Bear grease was the best muzzle loader patch lube I've ever used.

Yup.

Bill

There are many copies.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a friend that thought he would render some bear fat down and use it on his boots.I don't know what he did wrong,but when he brought his boots into the tent,I gagged.

Same bear,he cut up and put it in his freezer. The kids were playing in the garage where the freezer was one day and must have unplugged it. About two weeks later, he had cause to open the freezer. He called me quick to help him get it out of the garage and it was really putrid.I have smelled dead humans that were pretty ripe,but they wouldn't compare to that smell. We tried scrubbing it out but no way could we get the smell out.The freezer ended up in the county dump the next day.

This all occurred in about 1967 or so. I have had an aversion to bears since then. I still remember that smell.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
happy wife, happy life !

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks las.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jacuzzi ? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had a friend that thought he would render some bear fat down and use it on his boots.I don't know what he did wrong,but when he brought his boots into the tent,I gagged.

Same bear,he cut up and put it in his freezer. The kids were playing in the garage where the freezer was one day and must have unplugged it. About two weeks later, he had cause to open the freezer. He called me quick to help him get it out of the garage and it was really putrid.I have smelled dead humans that were pretty ripe,but they wouldn't compare to that smell. We tried scrubbing it out but no way could we get the smell out.The freezer ended up in the county dump the next day.

This all occurred in about 1967 or so. I have had an aversion to bears since then. I still remember that smell.

had the same thing happen, but worse than rotten bear is rotten Salmon. lost a freezer to that mishap.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
... I have previously posted a picture of skinning out a frozen caribou in the living room.... coming up on 40 (marriage) - you would think she'd be used to this kind of stuff by now, but noooooo....

I've been here a long while, but I sure can't recall that!

Can you post up some pictures? I'd like to see that! laugh

Takes me back to the days when I was a student living in an apartment with a kitchenette so tiny that I had blood half way up all four walls from butchering a moose calf! (sadly no pictures, but it looked like a very gruesome crime scene!) eek laugh

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.