Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dave,

While the Magnetospeed does affect POI and accuracy, separating accuracy and chronograph testing isn't that big a deal compared to the PITA it sounds like your confronted with.

Some people also make stands for the MS, keeping them off the muzzle. Dirtfarmer did one for his, and is very pleased with the results. You might ask him about it.

For the price, the MS Sporter solves a lot of problems for many handloaders.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My long tailgate bench helps. May be hard to use this concept on a short bench. Need room forward of the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

HR IC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bottom side of the tailgate bench. I used 5/8" plywood, I think 3/4" would be too heavy. It's around 30# or so as it, not that hard to handle, plenty stiff and stable.

Stool is a Gibralter drum throne, about ideal for this application. Heavy duty, adjustable, comfortable.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm not doubting anybody else's results, but I'll share some pics of what I saw with the 20" Varmint barrel 308.

This target was shot right to left. Distance 100 yards.

First group (right) was with the magnetospeed attached, four shots.

Second group (center) was after adjusting the scope, five shots. First two shots with the magnetospeed attached, last three shots without the magnetospeed.

Last group (left) was fired without the magnetospeed attached, five shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a pretty stiff barrel.

I'm thinking those results may be a bit different with a lighter contour, longer barrel.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same as others really like it as I shoot at many ranges where going in front of the bench is prohibited. I use duct tape over the strap for a belt & suspender approach so I don't loose a shot string. Also a plus is that ambient light doe's not seem to affect it. I wish there where an easy way to calibrate it but I guess that is the same for all chronies. Check a known load or use two chronographs are the only way I know how to check. I got lucky with my Forbs rifle sight in with the Magneto and when I took it off I was just shy of 2 inches high at a 100 where I wanted to be, I think it took all of two clucks upwards.

Even if you have another chrony the magneto is so convenient that it will probably get more use.

Last edited by Tejano; 06/20/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm not doubting anybody else's results, but I'll share some pics of what I saw with the 20" Varmint barrel 308.

This target was shot right to left. Distance 100 yards.

First group (right) was with the magnetospeed attached, four shots.

Second group (center) was after adjusting the scope, five shots. First two shots with the magnetospeed attached, last three shots without the magnetospeed.

Last group (left) was fired without the magnetospeed attached, five shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a pretty stiff barrel.

I'm thinking those results may be a bit different with a lighter contour, longer barrel.

DF

My sporter barrel results were VERY different. I attempted to quantify them in words.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for all the replies. I think the MS will work well for me and I'll be more apt to use it at the rifle range than my Chrony. The Chrony will still do well for my handguns since the ground is flat in front of the shooting line at the handgun ranges.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Magnetospeed is really handy at a public range where one doesn't have easy access to down range space.

And, IME, the MS is pretty accurate, doesn't miss many reads.

With the set up I posted, I have to be careful to keep the bayonette aligned with the barrel. Not a big issue, just something I have to remember.

When attached to the barrel, not an issue.

But, I can shoot groups and collect data at the same time, no POI issues.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Really like mine. It could stay tighter on the barrel. Checked it 2 weeks ago with my old Chrony, speed was within 30fps.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used my brother's MS when developing a load for his 7mm Rem Mag. I used it to check MV of various charge weights at a consistent OAL. When I found the velocity I wanted without pressure signs I put the MS away and loaded for a depth test. The depth test gave me the OAL for accuracy. I loaded a couple more at that OAL and ran them over the MS to check MV. Simple.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I used my brother's MS when developing a load for his 7mm Rem Mag. I used it to check MV of various charge weights at a consistent OAL. When I found the velocity I wanted without pressure signs I put the MS away and loaded for a depth test. The depth test gave me the OAL for accuracy. I loaded a couple more at that OAL and ran them over the MS to check MV. Simple.

P

Its that reason above I am going Labradar. The using extra components to simply check velocity seems like a waste. Yeah its a drop in the bucket in cost, but more or less the extra time it takes to load and shoot those extra rounds as well. Couple that with less actual velocity data. I more data I get for ES and SD the better and when I am not actually getting my velicties when working up loads for accuracy.

In the scheme of things its not a big deal but I would like my chonograph to read all my shots as I work up loads without affecting accuracy, combine that with it coming loose often when strapped on to the gun (unless you have the sweet rig you got but my shooting benches don't allow for that work work frown ), plus the fact that my current setup (V1 version ) won't work with suppressors mounted and would have to get the $375 version to replace my current one thats on its last legs I am gonna pony up and just get the labradar and be done with it.

Capture every shot suppressed or not, no need to make up separate loads for accuracy checks and velocity checks, and still don't have to get wait for a cease fire at the range to setup like my old Beta Chrony, and it stays in place every shot and no need to adjust between shots.

Was dang close to replacing my current V1 magnetospeed with the V3 but once did the pros and cons for me the Labradar made sense.......but I can justify anything. smile

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've been thinking about a Labradar. But, that would make my third chrono...

I have a PACT and the MS; together they do about what I need to do.

But the Labradar sure seems lilke a slick piece of equipment.

Maybe one of these days.

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
For me my Gen 2 Magneto speed is the best chronograph I have ever had.

My favorite range is an hour away, with my old chrony I had to be there by 07:45 to get setup, since they supply targets ready to go it maybe several hours before the first break.

With the Magneto speed I can come and go anytime!

Ted
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get it, it's an extra step, but I just roll a few of each strength and shoot in the back yard. If I were a city dweller the rules would change.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I get it, it's an extra step, but I just roll a few of each strength and shoot in the back yard. If I were a city dweller the rules would change.

P

HAHA I hear ya there. I am certainly not above shooting a half dozen or so rounds through my rifle in the back yard in a few hour period to get some velocity data. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dave,

While the Magnetospeed does affect POI and accuracy, separating accuracy and chronograph testing isn't that big a deal compared to the PITA it sounds like your confronted with.

Some people also make stands for the MS, keeping them off the muzzle. Dirtfarmer did one for his, and is very pleased with the results. You might ask him about it.

For the price, the MS Sporter solves a lot of problems for many handloaders.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My long tailgate bench helps. May be hard to use this concept on a short bench. Need room forward of the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I applaud your ingenuity Dirtfarmer, well done. I have been considering one of these and think I may give one a try. I think I could craft a fixture as well. I have a gen 1 CED millennium and whereas it is a decent chronograph the software is out of date and the thought of something as simple as the magnetospeed really appeals to me. The poi question really doesn't bother me either, I can separate shooting for accuracy vs.velocity testing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since Photobucket is being Photobucket, Dirtfarmer, is there any chance of a recap of your setup?

I just found this thread, and I'd be really interested in seeing if your setup is what I'm imagining it to be without seeing pics, lol.

The vast majority of my chrono use is with hunting bolt guns, but I have periodic interest in/need for speeds from things like a PA long rifle flintlock, which I don't think the Sporter can attach to. Or my Glock 40.

I won't do tons of that stuff, but I do need it once in a while.

If there's a way to run the Sporter for those, plus not hang it on the barrel in the first place, I'd be ready to take the plunge.

Edit to add....for those who use the Magnetospeed, I've been mulling over this setup, and do you think this would work......

If I had a piece of round stock steel....1/2" to 1" OD, something in there, and had it D/T'ed to accept the threads/bolt from a tripod shoe, that round stock could be fitted to a tripod shoe, and then the Magnetospeed mounted on the round stock. Then setup the tripod in the appropriate place to put the MS unit under the barrel. What I'm not sure of is if that would put the unit too far from the barrel? And how to make sure the barrel is correctly aligned to the MS unit for proper readings..... but has my wheels turning.

Yeah, I know, I should just pony up for a V3, but if I don't have to.... wink

Last edited by tddeangelo; 08/08/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TD

That sounds like it would work. I would line the barrel up with the back of the unit or add something as a reference for consistency. If from a solid rest or bag setup I don't think it would be a problem. I wouldn't shoot with out a solid set up as I would worry about hitting the Magneto Speed. I would be careful about drilling into the unit if you use a camera adapter.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Also the Magnetospeed has a hard time staying put between shots on the pencil barrels. On my fatter barrel it does ok, but after a couple shots on my Kimbers I am stopping to redajust and retighten. It works and I certainly like it better than my beta chrony but there is enough about it that I don't like that my big Christmas present request is a Labradar.

Smearing the strap with Shoe Goo or silicone will cure the migrating problem.

Last edited by jmsdad; 08/10/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Since Photobucket is being Photobucket, Dirtfarmer, is there any chance of a recap of your setup?

I just found this thread, and I'd be really interested in seeing if your setup is what I'm imagining it to be without seeing pics, lol.

The vast majority of my chrono use is with hunting bolt guns, but I have periodic interest in/need for speeds from things like a PA long rifle flintlock, which I don't think the Sporter can attach to. Or my Glock 40.

I won't do tons of that stuff, but I do need it once in a while.

If there's a way to run the Sporter for those, plus not hang it on the barrel in the first place, I'd be ready to take the plunge.

Edit to add....for those who use the Magnetospeed, I've been mulling over this setup, and do you think this would work......

If I had a piece of round stock steel....1/2" to 1" OD, something in there, and had it D/T'ed to accept the threads/bolt from a tripod shoe, that round stock could be fitted to a tripod shoe, and then the Magnetospeed mounted on the round stock. Then setup the tripod in the appropriate place to put the MS unit under the barrel. What I'm not sure of is if that would put the unit too far from the barrel? And how to make sure the barrel is correctly aligned to the MS unit for proper readings..... but has my wheels turning.

Yeah, I know, I should just pony up for a V3, but if I don't have to.... wink

Regrouped with Imgur.

It takes a long bench for this to work, this one crafted to fit the Z-71 tailgate.

You have to pay attention to the bayonet alignment with the bore.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/10/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tddeangelo

I think it would.

Alignment with bore and distance from bore axis is important.

If you're too far below the bore, you're gonna miss shots. If you move the barrel to the next target, even at a hundred yards and not realign the bayonet with the bore, you'll miss shots.

And of course, you don't want to shoot the bayonet. Those issues are the draw back to the free standing set up.

The good points: no change in POI and one can swap rifles to let a barrel cool and not have to reattach the device.

To me, the positives out weigh the negatives.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
571 members (222ND, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.