-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to clarify, my comment about it working great for me on SA rifles was only because of the tube length. The eye relief is great, and completely adequate for any magnum I'd shoot. It's that the tube length will lock it in place on say a Remington LA in Talleys and I'm guessing I'd be wishing it could be back closer to my eyeball.... Only a guess, haven't tried it, but since it's perfect on my SA rifles, being ~ 1/2" further away would likely be not-perfect.

Was shooting with mine (on a 6.5 SAUM) out to 900 yards yesterday. I love the parallax adjustment, even on a 10x top end, it is a great crutch to have and ameliorates many sins from field positions.... The superb resolution had me easily bisecting clay pigeons with the reticle at over a half-mile.

Conditions are perfecto this morning- cool, still, and cloudy... sitting here finishing my coffee and trying to resist the pull of goin' shooting again... grin... angel on one shoulder: bid the drawing in your inbox! Devil on the other: fuggit, go shootin'! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have an SHV and at first I was disappointed with the low light performance. Mine is the 20X version and it has a lit reticle. I have no issues with the relief or box. Once I realized that you have to adjust both the power as well as the eyepiece for best low light performance I was pretty impressed with the glass. Initially I had mine mounted on a lightweight rifle with Talley mounts. I had trouble holding zero and believed there might have been an issue with the scope. I called NF and the guy asked how it was mounted. When I mentioned the Talley's he said, "nope, wont do it...NF recommends that you always mount our scopes on mil-spec rings and bases. The scopes are heavy and will move in "lesser" rings and bases." Not wanting "tacticool" stuff on a mountain rifle I opted for Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases and that did the trick.
I have since moved it from the mountain rifle and I have it on a 308 700 that I hunt with. Overall in general I like the scope and I should add that it is the only scope I hunt with that is not a Leica or Zeiss.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't doubt they said that... but...

3-10 SHV in Talleys, prone with a Harris, all day long:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That being said, that's only a 20 oz scope. My big Nightforce (5.5-22 NXS) is in one of these. If you don't want to tacticool your hunting rifle, these are very clean, and light. The whole lower portion is unitized, and it even has a little recoil lug that takes the shear loads off the screws mounting the thing to the action. Nightforce makes it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Nice rig there Jeff!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like my Binford 2000 ex,myself.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took 5 new rifles hunting in 2016. I arrived weeks early and practiced out to 500 yards:

1) Low budget $45 Arisaka Simmons Aetec scope $3 ebay rings, ...
2) High budget pre 64 M70 action, Bansner stock, Shilen barrel, Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42 scope
3) Light weight Rem 700 short action, Pac Nor mountain taper 243 barrel, Leupold scope
4) Heavy rifle, Sav110, Boyds pro varmint stock, Pac Nor 7mm bull barrel IOR 10x56 scope
5) Factory rifle Browning B-78 25-06

I shot 2 antelope opening day with the 6mmBR & Leupold and then shot a buck mule deer 3 days into the deer season with the 25-06 Nightforce.

None of the scopes formed a memory. I do remember liking to carry the light rifle best.

I am building more rifles and buying more scopes for 2017. I did not buy any more NF scopes, so it must have not been that big a deal.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

[Linked Image]

Don't doubt you did that .......but..........Apples and oranges.....No doubt your rifle is a lot heavier than mine and I don't think the 6.5 GAP with 140 grain bullets recoils quite as much as a 280AI shooting 175's, especially in a 5 pound Kimber Mountain Ascent. Your scope weighs 20 ounces. Mine weighs in at 30.5 according to the NF website. Big heavy scope, lightweight rifle and relatively heavy recoil is not a good combo when you throw in Talley rings. They just slap did not work in this combo. The guy I talked to at Night Force didn't discuss other models, but it did come across as a blanket statement the way he said it, "Night Force recommends mil-spec rings and bases for our scopes" Glad the Talley's work for you, glad you like them. Wish they worked for me, they came with the rifle....I had to spend more money. I like the one you have posted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Its either the least power or max power. my scopes does not see in between very much. then again I don't shoot that much at a gun range.

Or anywhere where there is mirage or poor atmospheric conditions, evidently wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by msinc
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

[Linked Image]

Don't doubt you did that .......but..........Apples and oranges.....No doubt your rifle is a lot heavier than mine and I don't think the 6.5 GAP with 140 grain bullets recoils quite as much as a 280AI shooting 175's, especially in a 5 pound Kimber Mountain Ascent. Your scope weighs 20 ounces. Mine weighs in at 30.5 according to the NF website. Big heavy scope, lightweight rifle and relatively heavy recoil is not a good combo when you throw in Talley rings. They just slap did not work in this combo. The guy I talked to at Night Force didn't discuss other models, but it did come across as a blanket statement the way he said it, "Night Force recommends mil-spec rings and bases for our scopes" Glad the Talley's work for you, glad you like them. Wish they worked for me, they came with the rifle....I had to spend more money. I like the one you have posted.

Yeah, I wouldn't put a 30-oz scope in Talleys.

I remembered the name of that Nightforce mount: the Direct Mount. I'd say my only dislike of it, is that with the 20 MOA slope and since its built to work with 50mm objectives on loooong scopes (tilted down towards the barrel due to the slope), the objective is tilted up and is a bit high. That neoprene shellholder on the butt of my rifle is enough extra comb to get my eye up adequately, so that's an easy fix. Other than that- which could be a non-issue anyway on many stocks- it's awesome. Clean, light, and has that utter simplicity and minimal interfacing surfaces, like Talleys. I know rails are proven, but man that's a lot of fasteners and surfaces. Lot to go wrong.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just want to add, in case it wasn't obvious, that my "all day long" comment was a bit tongue in cheek. While my rifle/SHV/Talley combo can do groups like that all day long- to my point, the Talleys don't move- I will most certainly [bleep] up plenty of groups with shall we say software errors. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 63 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.