Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A person in the industry once wrote this about the gun buying public, and their proclivity to buy cheap piece of crap guns:

"If you sold chocolate lollipops for $2 and dog [bleep] on a stick for $1.75, the American gun-buying public would suck a turd every time."

They were completely spot on.

90% of gun buyers will buy a cheap, sub par gun, and then brag about what a great deal they got on it. They will ignore the fact that every other magazine they have issues, or just don't shoot it much at all, and carry it anyway, and use it as some sort of talisman. Hope being a strategy.

It makes no sense to me why a person would buy 3 or 4 garbage guns, of questionable reliability, instead of one high quality gun, from a manufacturer with a reputation of building reliable guns.

I would rather have 1 K Frame Smith & Wesson Model 19, than 4 Taurus revolvers any day.

About right from my observations. I know a couple guys that brag about how many firearms they own, but when asked what they have they get defensive about their yard sale beaters. Having thirty $70 single shot Rossi's doesn't excite me much.

Last edited by MOGC; 06/21/17.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Ruger and Glock are perfect examples of how inexpensive does not always mean "cheap." The value proposition from both brands is the best in the business, in my opinion.

Zackly

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
$550 for a glock plastic gun is cheap? whistle

For what you get? Pennies on the dollar for what it takes to get a "good" 1911 to work as well.

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After thinning the herd I seem to be left with 3 Colt autos and 1 D frame revolver, 3 S&W revolvers, a Walther P22 and High Standard B1B .22. Calibers range from .45acp, .38spl, .380acp, .32 S&W, .32 H&R Mag, .25acp to the .22's. ALL are dead nuts reliable and all I need.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For no other reason than being what I can shoot well, and no problems shooting, I have ended up with 3 Smiths (M29, M38, M&P9c), 1 Colt DickSpec and a Ruger BH Colt, the latter 2 being bequeaths.

And I have been through a lot of pistols.....

Frankly, I'm still po'd at smith for the clinton gun thing, but I've had no problems with the guns and they hit where I aim. (None of them have locks)

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I had a Hi-Point. Sold it because it weighed as much as an Elephant gun and I could barely work the slide. So far I'm down to four with no issues Two Taurus and two S&W's. I haven't put enough rounds through the Taurus' but so far my S&W SD40VE and M&P Shield 40 are working well. I also sold a Ruger LC9 because i thought the trigger was poor. Later I found out that they make a trigger kit for about $35 that you can install yourself. I'll give SCCY a chance to redeem themselves and if they don't get it right, it will be history also.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rondrews
Another of one of my pistols is on the way back to the Manufacturer because the trigger won't work. This time it was my SCCY CPX-1. Last week it was my S&W Bodyguard. I am either bewitched by faulty triggers, or paranoid. Right after I shot the SCCY , (Or Failed to Shoot) I tried my S&W Shield and my Taurus G2 and both worked fine, so it isn't me. Is the failure to fire typical now day's or am i just unlucky?

My cousin's husband was telling me about his SCCY CPX-1. I had never heard of it till then. They're real cheap, so hard to be surprised if they have quite a few lemons.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Who the f&ck is paying $550 for a Glock? Bought a G17 with 3 mags for $409 out the door.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You live in a better place than me. Gen4 G17 or 19 here is about $550.00

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A person in the industry once wrote this about the gun buying public, and their proclivity to buy cheap piece of crap guns:

"If you sold chocolate lollipops for $2 and dog [bleep] on a stick for $1.75, the American gun-buying public would suck a turd every time."

90% of gun buyers will buy a cheap, sub par gun, and then brag about what a great deal they got on it. They will ignore the fact that every other magazine they have issues, or just don't shoot it much at all, and carry it anyway, and use it as some sort of talisman. Hope being a strategy.

It makes no sense to me why a person would buy 3 or 4 garbage guns, of questionable reliability, instead of one high quality gun, from a manufacturer with a reputation of building reliable guns.

I would rather have 1 K Frame Smith & Wesson Model 19, than 4 Taurus revolvers any day.

Best I've ever heard it said about cheap guns. The best fail occasionally. The cheap you can count on failing regularly. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter

For what you get? Pennies on the dollar for what it takes to get a "good" 1911 to work as well.

Exaggerate much?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another of one of my pistols is on the way back to the Manufacturer because the trigger won't work. This time it was my SCCY CPX-1. Last week it was my S&W Bodyguard. I am either bewitched by faulty triggers, or paranoid. Right after I shot the SCCY , (Or Failed to Shoot) I tried my S&W Shield and my Taurus G2 and both worked fine, so it isn't me. Is the failure to fire typical now day's or am i just unlucky?

Seriously - who is SCCY? What kind of track record do they have?

You might get lucky with new entries to the market, but how can you reasonably expect the same service and reliability that you would from a S&W, Glock, Ruger, or the like?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Seriously - who is SCCY? What kind of track record do they have?

You might get lucky with new entries to the market, but how can you reasonably expect the same service and reliability that you would from a S&W, Glock, Ruger, or the like?

This.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have "several" hand guns in the safe. Some were top dollar, like the Wilson Combat CQB compact. Some were less expensive, like the Taurus 85 snubby. You do get a better hand gun when you buy 'up' but as others have pointed out, even the best can, and do, have problems.
Beating up a fellow who was asking for a little advice or help, or validation though, is not helpful.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well said. $500-1000 for a handgun that could be called upon to save your or your families life is beyond cheap.

Think about how much you spend in just one year to insure a vehicle, and then try and put a dollar value on life.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Now you've gone and stirred up a hornet's nest!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are serious about protecting your family and your life then suck it up and buy a Glock

Last edited by bea175; 06/21/17.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's nor hard to find police trade-in Glocks in the $300-350. Most are 40SW. You can run with that, or drop a 9mm or 357 Sig barrel in them.

There's a quality weapon at a very reasonable price.

https://gun.deals/used-guns

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/used-firearms

https://www.classicfirearms.com/glock-22-le-used-w-1-mag-night-sights

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Exaggerate much?

You don't buy many pistols?

I've only owned 25? 1911s and have replaced them all.

Getting a 1911 to run as dependably as a Glock is expensive. Getting any garden-variety Glock to run is a given.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you actually use your everyday carry gun to fire shots in defense, wait until they "hold as evidence" your $2,300 WIlson Combat basic pistol. Not including whatever you have tied up in the holster, lights, grips with laser, etc., etc. True story with a friend who is retired detective, and still can't get his pistol back.

I'll just go out and buy another LE Glock 43 with night sights, add a laser and light, and still be under $600.

And the trigger will be exactly the same as the last one, and it won't need "tuning" to get it to shoot.

Wait, I already have a safe with numerous backups in it....

Savy?

Last edited by David_Walter; 06/21/17.

John Stark.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.