Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "best reloading investment" got my attention. Given the number of times I read about "velocity" being a big deal, I was surprised so few people mentioned a clock as a good reloading expenditure. So...
I have always loaded for group, used a ladder technique while loading at the rifle range. Yet I wonder if I could save some time if I got a basic chronometer so I could track speed changes and deviations, know when I'm getting "on the cam" for various powders.
Your thoughts, kids? Thanks.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider a chronograph a basic necessity for safe and informed reloading.

Not having one is like driving your car without a speedometer. You can do it, but why?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Absolutely. I rented a chrono a couple of times before I bought mine. I decided that it wouldn't take too many rentals to equal the price to buy one. That was 1981.

You can take all the manuals and compare and 'average' what they say BUT you never know how your barrel does, NOR the lot of 'primers' and 'powders' run w/o a chrono. You literally are shooting in the dark w/o a chrono. Many stories have been told here by different posters about people who believed their load was cooking and then got MAD to find out they were actually slow.

Now if a fellow is hunting woods or other short range situations, then speed isn't that important. If you're hunting open territory much at all, you need to know your velocities. YES, you can do a LOT of shooting at various ranges and 'figure out' your trajectory and then "extrapolate" the approximate velocity of your rifle/load.

You can SAVE time & money in components by simply using a chrono FIRST.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Seems to me that a chronograph is almost a necessity if you want to have a good indicator of the pressure of your load in your rifle. Velocity is generally proportional to pressure and the velocity from a chronograph is a far better indicator of pressure than "traditional" signs like hard bolt lift, loose primer pockets, cratered or flattened primers etc. since these things often don't show up until pressures are in excess of 70K PSI. No doubt you can develop loads that work fine for hunting without one but I feel that by using a chronograph I have a much better idea if my load is at a safe pressure as I approach a maximum load (which often shoots better). For about $100 a basic chronograph is a bargain.

Last edited by bowmanh; 06/20/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know. . I have one but find that i don't use it much. On the other hand I See them well under $100 on eBay all the time.

Last edited by bangeye; 06/20/17.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like my chronograph. Have had one for 10 years or so. Very useful.

But like you, I loaded for accuracy, and that worked just fine on field and range, for decades. Accurate, game taking and match-winning loads without the chronograph.

But... I like my chronograph and have found it useful.

Guy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in the necessity camp, but I suppose one could get away without one for short distance work, using published data.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I won't work up loads without one anymore. There has been a few times lately that maximum book velocity came before maximum book load.

Last edited by montanabadger; 06/20/17.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The speedometer analogy is a good one. Without a working speedometer, or chronograph sooner or later you'll get into trouble. Unless you drive like grandma or only load at minimum levels. I'm not one to hot rod my loads, but if I own a 30-06 I don't want 300 Savage equivalent loads either. There is absolutely no reason not to be able to achieve excellent accuracy and at least match factory velocity levels. It depends on the cartridge, 30-06 and some others are loaded very conservatively in factory form and those speeds can easily and safely be beaten. Other more modern cartridges can be matched for speed, but rarely beaten. But I'd not start approaching top end loads without a chronograph. I've seen examples of over pressure while still well under the book max load. With a chronograph I know when I'm getting close without going over.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 2 chronographs, and 2 bore scopes and lot of other toys and accessories I find useful. Agreed that every reloader should have easy access to a chronograph. I'd expect most everybody in Montana to have some access to a friend's chronograph if not one of their own.

I don't think a chronograph is any advantage when doing an Audette ladder test. I certainly don't think a chronograph would save any time. Still have to fire the groups. Wind flags and a good rest will help when firing the groups and making sense of the results.

Part of the problem is that minimizing velocity spread is a good thing but minimizing velocity spread is only loosely correlated with group size at reasonable ranges.

At extreme ranges the correlation is better.

If the point of a particular Audette Ladder Test is to find a load that is insensitive to small variations in charge weight so as to allow more variation in dumping powder then I'd put the money into an automated dispensing system that keeps charge weights close to nominal regardless of powder. That may well save time when combined with using a chronometer for a pressure and velocity series. Doing it that way is getting away from an Audette Ladder Test entirely. If that gets to be too quick and easy get a BOSS or other muzzle tuner and go back to testing.

Agreed that a chronograph will save a lot of time figuring drop at extreme ranges and other such but that's a different branch of knowledge.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All right, that's what I was hoping for.
Chronos aren't expensive like they were when I started, and they're getting compact and convenient compared to the first monstrosities I saw hardcore shootniks use.
I could care less if my loads are "fast," I just want a little bit more "read" and a few more hints as to whether I'm in the ballpark. For example, I have a BR and with the small primers and tight chamber, it does not do any of the usual "signs" except bolt lift.
Laddering has served me pretty well over the years, I'm amazed more people don't do it, but I think I'm ready for another layer of data. Thanks to you all for your commentary and advice.

Pajamaboi loses EXPENSIVE in Georgia -- love it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Essentially the cheapest source of real information available. If one get above norm velocities, there's probably a reason.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add one thing that wouldn't be easy to solve without a chrono. Differences in powder lots.

I had to bump up a max load of H4350 by 7/10 tenths of a grain, with a new can of powder, to achieve the same accuracy and velocity. I would have been reluctant to experiment with a higher charge weight without the chrono.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll add two things I have found my croney useful for:

1. A lot of factory loads don't live up to the advertised speeds.

2. They are most handy when working up loads for notoriously under loaded cartridges such as the 7x57 and
8x57 as the data is all over the place and often lacking.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is no good reason NOT to own a chronograph.

One of the best explanations of chronographs I've read:

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ChronographChapter.pdf

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dave Skinner: "Chrono yes or no"?
Definitely yes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yes

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Many years ago, in my pre-chrono days, I inherited my Dad's 30-06. I worked up some 'book' loads that were very accurate and killed elk and deer very well.

Then I bought the chrono. With the published book load, I was getting 2,550fps with a 180gr Barnes. I've increased the powder charge by about 2grs over book in order to get the speeds I'm supposed to.

So, yes to a chrono.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
k22 just to ask are they anymore accurate and do you note much difference when shooting deer and elk?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I consider a chronograph a basic necessity for safe and informed reloading.

Not having one is like driving your car without a speedometer. You can do it, but why?

Bit like wanking in the dark, probably feels good but there is no guarantee it that it really is you doing it

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.