Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"The Fourth of the Ten Commandments instructed Moses and the Israelites to work for six days and rest for one. God explained the rationale: “For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day” (Exodus 20:11). If Creation Week lasted millions or billions of years, how could it possibly serve as the model for the work week described in the Ten Commandments?

Hebrew scholar Dr. Steven Boyd has conducted a statistical analysis of 522 Old Testament passages. He found that poetic and narrative passages could be categorized with a better than 99% accuracy based on the verb usage alone. Dr. Boyd’s analysis showed conclusively that Genesis 1 is narrative history, not poetry. This means the only way to interpret it properly is as history, looking for its straightforward, historical meaning.

The immediate context of each appearance of day in Genesis 1 conclusively establishes their length. Each day is marked by “evening and morning."

Last edited by Ringman; 06/20/17.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in my simple mind, i've always thought that the Urth spinning on it's axis at nearly about 24 hour rotation meant the sun coming up every morning, and going down every night, on average, as it varies through out the year based upon the orbit of the urth around der sun.

we're fixin' to experience the summer solstice once again. it happens every year. but you might be thinking about something else entirely?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
15 pages. Minimum.

This is my total contribution to it... whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Who among you can comprehend His time?

I can't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, this is exactly what people come to a "hunting and shooting" site to see.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Who among you can comprehend His time?

I can't.

It's very easy. Take God at His Word. God does not exist in time. He created and named time and described and defined it in Genesis 1. Time does not exist for God, but for man. And true to his nature man tries to get ahead of God and tell Him He doesn't know what He is doing in His description, "light day and darkness night", "evening and morning; one day". Another generation and man will tell God He made a mistake calling man "male and female".

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The answer to this question is easy... The Bible says man will never know everything and not to be discouraged because he doesn't.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the rotation of the urth on it's axis goes a long way in explaining the morning sun rising, and the evening sun passing over the horizon.

but, what powers the rotation of the urth on a scheduled or "consistent" basis? the urth just keeps on rotating on it's axis as it revolves around the sun. the 24 hour and 1 year pattern.

does anyone besides me think it's all very strange?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am studying this top generally at present and have been for some time. Very briefly, the Hebrew word "yom" means "day." In the context of almost all it's usages in the OT but particularly in the creation narrative, the context doubtless implies one light-dark, 24-hour period.

I won't go any further to avoid being embroiled in argument except to say 1) that I believe God created the universe and everything in it in six days and rested the seventh not that he needed to but as a model for us, thus I am a Young Earth Christian. 2). I know that there are believers who believe in a six day creation but believe there were eons or epochs preceding that creation period -- I disagree with that after studying the science and theology..

Neither science nor creation by a divine intelligence can be proven but after long study I believe the known facts -- the science we can confirm -- best fits the Biblical creation narrative in the most common understanding of the words..

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Snyper

No one came to see chitt from you. This however, is interesting for inquiring minds. We are all too familiar with your closed one, much to our chagrin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
15 pages. Minimum.

This is my total contribution to it... whistle

Chicken. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My notion is that Time is part of His creation, and He's not subject to, or constrained by it.

He did what He did, and I don't worry about how.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll stay out of this one!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question: Doesn’t 2 Peter 3:8 indicate that the days of creation might not be literal, but thousands of years long?

Answer: 2 Peter 3:8–9 reads:

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

Mortal men trying to figure this out is about like trying to teach an ant advanced calculus

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snyper

No, we all come to hear what an ass like you has to say.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Question: Doesn’t 2 Peter 3:8 indicate that the days of creation might not be literal, but thousands of years long?

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

Mortal men trying to figure this out is about like trying to teach an ant advanced calculus

Why would time matter at all to God? Why would he measure what is his in infinite supply? Most of all, why would I get all wrapped around the axle about something that quite frankly just does not matter at all? I believe, I have faith, and that's it. End of story.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, but that is the verse "old agers" often allude to. But, it seems to mean that to an eternal God time is meaningless -- a dimension He created but is free of or not limited by. One analogy pertaining to this is life is like a parade moving down the street while God is above looking down, seeing the beginning and the end simultaneously -- pretty simplistic but it needs to be for the human mind to apprehend the concept.

Again, in Genesis "yom" is used in the context of a 24-hour time period or one light-darkness cycle.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I understand the natural curiosity on this, but what matter to God is what we are doing for him. We are called to serve.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Usually folks talk about context except this and other verses that are really easy to understand. The context here is about God's patients.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No human can comprehend a Self Existant Being, unbound by space or time.

The human who wrote Genesis didn't know anymore about God than what is available to each one of us today.

God is to be apprehended, not comprehended.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.