Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The aim here (pun intended) is to put a scope on my M-77 Ruger Alaskan.
The rifle comes up perfectly lined up on the irons when shouldered.
I'd sure like to get close to that with a scope.
A 2-7x33 Leupold in medium height rings (#4 & #5) and was way too high without lifting my cheek well above the comb.
A number #3& #4 was better, but still not low enough
Yesterday I ordered a set of Leupold ringmounts in 1" for it since they are lower than the Ruger #3 (low) on the front.

There appears to be plenty of clearance for the bolt to clear the scope, and the power ring to clear the receiver top.
So with all that, the scopes I'm contemplating are;
Leupold Vari-XIII 1.5-5x20 duplex
Leupold Vari-XII 2-7x33 duplex
Old (Denver?) Redfield 2-7x32? duplex from the 70's. This had the maintube replaced and seals etc. updated in 1992, and went into the safe.

Of the three scopes, I'm leaning toward the Redfield. The duplex reticle is much heavier in the outer portions, and just heavy enough in the center to be much better in low light.
Will the Redfield hold up under the recoil of the 375 Ruger?
Redfield had a good reputation back in the day, but I don't remember if they were recommended for medium bore recoil.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 06/21/17.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Personally I'd go with the 2-7x33 Leupold. A little larger objective for low light and a little more power for those 400+ hard shots on smaller game (rabbits,squirrels, ect. grin). memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/21/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got back from a grizzly hunt in AK. I had a Ruger Hawkeye 375. I scoped it with a Vari -XIII 2.5x8. It worked great. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 you have. I know the Vari-XIII will handle the recoil----I would go with the 1.5x5. Bob

FYI----I took a 7' + sow grizzly. She was a toklot---perfect hide for a rug.

Last edited by colorado bob; 06/21/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I just got back from a grizzly hunt in AK. I had a Ruger Hawkeye 375. I scoped it with a Vari -XIII 2.5x8. It worked great. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 you have. I know the Vari-XIII will handle the recoil----I would go with the 1.5x5. Bob

Only happened if we see pictures... laugh

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Congrats on your bear Bob!
A 7 ft. sow seems like a big one. Interior or coastal?

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went with a Leupold 1.5-6 with the heavy duplex. Figured it would be easier to see the reticle for black bears over bait in deep woods in fading light. Hope to try it out this year in Maine.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
1.5x5

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
1-6x24 VX6 on my 375 ruger. I love it. Enormous field of view, compact, clear, and tough. You can find great deals on them in the $7-800 range, maybe better. The thing about scopes, imo, is it's better to have fewer great scopes than countless ones that we tried to improve on.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My choice for this rifle was a Leupold 1.75-6x in standard Ruger rings with a QD lever. The magnification range suits the ballistics well and the larger objetive compared to the 1.5-5x adds a bit of clarity in lower light.

This scope/ring arrangement allows me to shoot with the same cheek weld as with iron sights on the Alaskan. There are probably other solutions to this question, but I've found this scope choice to work well for me on 375s.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I hear you guys about the 1.75-6 Leupold's.
I had one of the early short tube models on a M-88 Winchester.
I'm looking to put one of these three I listed on it, at least for now.
I'm leaning toward the old Redfield due to reticle.
The cross hairs both outer and inner are much easier to see than the
standard duplex on both of the Leupolds.
I can say that I don't recall the finer reticle in the Leupolds ever cost
me a shot on game, including a few running shots, but I've gotten quite fond of the heavy duplex in the VX2
2-7x33 shotgun scope.

Really, the question is whether the Redfield is tough enough to handle the 375 recoil.
I know they had a good reputation years ago, but have no knowledge if they were recoil tough.
I know the Leupolds will take it, this 1.5-5 rode two 12ga. slug guns, a 338 and a 416 Rigby, and it's still holding zero.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a Leupold FX-11 4x33 on my 375 Rem Ultra Mag.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Congrats on your bear Bob!
A 7 ft. sow seems like a big one. Interior or coastal?

Interior. About 1/2 way between Cantwell & Paxton on the Denali Hiway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Leupold 1.75-6X on my Weatherby Mk. V .375 H&H, as well as a on 9.3x62 Ruger African. It has been to Africa and back twice, several elk hunts here in the states and now resides on a custom .338-06 Improved. The 6X setting came in handy on my first African hunt when the only shot I had at a really good impala was at 300 meters through a small opening in thorn bush. I like that scope a lot for medium bores.

[img]
[Linked Image]
[/img]

Last edited by mudhen; 06/22/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1.5 -5x - perfect scope for that caliber and set up.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a Swaro 1.25-4X on mine and it should work if an elephant ever gets loose from the circus and goes rogue.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mudhen, what brand are those scope rings?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
I've got a Swaro 1.25-4X on mine and it should work if an elephant ever gets loose from the circus and goes rogue.

BBaaaahahahahaha, that would be only chance to ever shoot one !!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Only happened if we see pictures... laugh

DF

Well, here's the photo to document Bob's post.

I called him out on photos, he upped the ante... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Really, the question is whether the Redfield is tough enough to handle the 375 recoil.
I know they had a good reputation years ago, but have no knowledge if they were recoil tough.
I know the Leupolds will take it, this 1.5-5 rode two 12ga. slug guns, a 338 and a 416 Rigby, and it's still holding zero.

I've got one of those old 2-7 Redfields and still like it a lot. It was on my .375 H&H for a time, and had no trouble. Hunted with it a bit, and probably put a couple of hundred rounds through the .375, with that scope on it. Later I moved it to a .30-06 rifle and took it to Alaska for grizzly a month ago. The scope did just fine.

Regards, Guy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The aim here (pun intended) is to put a scope on my M-77 Ruger Alaskan.
The rifle comes up perfectly lined up on the irons when shouldered.
I'd sure like to get close to that with a scope.
A 2-7x33 Leupold in medium height rings (#4 & #5) and was way too high without lifting my cheek well above the comb.
A number #3& #4 was better, but still not low enough
Yesterday I ordered a set of Leupold ringmounts in 1" for it since they are lower than the Ruger #3 (low) on the front.

There appears to be plenty of clearance for the bolt to clear the scope, and the power ring to clear the receiver top.
So with all that, the scopes I'm contemplating are;
Leupold Vari-XIII 1.5-5x20 duplex
Leupold Vari-XII 2-7x33 duplex
Old (Denver?) Redfield 2-7x32? duplex from the 70's. This had the maintube replaced and seals etc. updated in 1992, and went into the safe.

Of the three scopes, I'm leaning toward the Redfield. The duplex reticle is much heavier in the outer portions, and just heavy enough in the center to be much better in low light.
Will the Redfield hold up under the recoil of the 375 Ruger?
Redfield had a good reputation back in the day, but I don't remember if they were recommended for medium bore recoil.

From how I read this, it seems you already have these 3 scopes and I think you just got a good answer about the Redfield.

I just want to add one more bit of information, even though it may not apply to this question. Leupold will provide a heavy duplex if you have one ordered direct. They will also replace a medium with a heavy for a reasonable fee. I think it was $70 when I had one changed out. That might allow you to get better use from the 1.5-5 even if not on this rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Guy, seeing The Redfield on your 30-06 in the Grizzly in the Arctic thread reminded me about mine sitting in the safe.
I was remiss in not clarifying that I own the 3 scopes listed.
The Redfield is going to go on it first, since you have had good service from yours.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

I went with the VX3 2.5-8x36 on mine.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
2 X 7 Vortex Viper on my LH 375 Ruger had issues with several of the 2 X 7 Leupolds not holding zero.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
kk, did you have issues with those 2-7's right from the start?
After how many rounds?
Thanks.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have Leupold install their heavy duplex reticle in a VX-2 2-7x33 and buy a McM McM Hunter. The McM Hunter style makes felt recoil much more tolerable than the factory stock's ergs, at least it does for me.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No had several Leupold 2 X 7 newer and older models did not like the 2 X 7 model Leupold, my last one one of the latest models would not hold zero from year to year on a very accurate LH Ruger 35 Whelen in Rimrock stock, plus adjustments were not precise.

Strange I have no issues with the Redfield Revolutions in 2 X 7 just that tube is short and use them on short action rifles.

The Vortex Viper 2 X 7 I have 3, works great and holds zero, if I move the scope up 1 " thats what it does.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kk alaska
No had several Leupold 2 X 7 newer and older models did not like the 2 X 7 model Leupold, my last one one of the latest models would not hold zero from year to year on a very accurate LH Ruger 35 Whelen in Rimrock stock, plus adjustments were not precise.

Strange I have no issues with the Redfield Revolutions in 2 X 7 just that tube is short and use them on short action rifles.

The Vortex Viper 2 X 7 I have 3, works great and holds zero, if I move the scope up 1 " thats what it does.

Interesting. I have dozens of Leupold 2-7x scopes in service and have never had any trouble with them. I even have an old Vari-X IIc 2-7x28 on a Winchester 70 in 375 H&H that has held its zero without meaning a beat.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Mudhen, what brand are those scope rings?

Those look like Conetrol rings and bases.

The Leupold low Ruger rings came in today and I set to getting the 375 scoped.
I changed my mind when it came time to mount and used the Vari-X III 1.5-5x20.
With the Leupold rings the eye relief and cheek position are excellent.
The Redfield 2-7 went on my Sako 338.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like a great setup! Both the 375 and 338.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^ I agree^^^^^^

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Leupold 2.5 compact with wide duplex reticle. Using one my heavy.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
1-6x24 VX6 on my 375 ruger. I love it. Enormous field of view, compact, clear, and tough. You can find great deals on them in the $7-800 range, maybe better. The thing about scopes, imo, is it's better to have fewer great scopes than countless ones that we tried to improve on.

Yep agreed. 1-6 VX6 is a great optic, they got a lot right with these scopes. Mine has held up on my .375 H&H. I have the illuminated # 4 in mine.

The Fixed 3x Big Bore or 2.5x compact might be worth a look if you want a fixed power. I have a 2.5x on my Marlin Guide Gun and it's a great optic, loooong eye relief.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i was able to mount one redfield revolution 2-7 with the accurange on my 375 ruger alaskan and i liked it now it wears a bushnell 1.25-4x24.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
or a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 Allaska LLC quick detach works great depending which scope you need ...

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Tell me more about the Alaska LLC quick detach mounts.
Edit to add;
Ahh, Alaska Arms.
Nice looking, maybe I'll order a set.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 07/11/17.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have Alaska Arms rings on several Rugers, including 375 & 416 Rugers. They are my favorite set up for Rugers. And a plus, great people to deal with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of my Ruger rifles now wear Alaska Arms rings and I am trying to talk them into making their rings to fit Weaver/Picitinny bases as well

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like those little, more recent Weaver 2.5X scopes - which were discontinued a few years ago. I have been using them on a variety of more violently recoiling rifles for quite a few years and haven't beaten one yet. The 45-70 #1 was the first since I didn't want too much power and I like the eye relief. They are slightly larger than the Leupold 2.5Xs and have a slightly bigger, clearer picture than the Leupold.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 on my Ruger Alaskan, great eye relieve. I have a Leupold VR-X 3-9x40 FDD CDS on a Ruger SS Hawkeye in 35 Whelen that I like a lot and think would be a good fit for the 375.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I finally got a chance to get the 338 and 375 sighted in.
The first shot with the 375 Ruger was a shore 'nough flinch!
(I asked my buddy to load it for me, to see if I've developed a flinch. Obviously I did.)
I was a little hesitant since this was the first time I've shot anything with much recoil since my shoulder surgery.
The iron sights hit 2" low at 50 yds. using the Hornady 270gr SP load.
This Hornady ammo is really accurate, even though I got a lot of reloading components and dies with this rifle, it might be a while before I need to do any for this rifle. It's like it's the big brother to the 6.5 Creedmoor. smile blush cool

4 rounds run as fast as I could @50 offhand made a 4" group.
Better than I'd hoped what with my shooting skills gone rusty.

I brought two scopes to sight in on the Alaskan, the Vari-XIII 1.5-5x20 standard duplex in the low Leupold rings, and a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 w/heavy duplex in Ruger #3 and #4 rings (low).
I really like the Leupold rings, they get me almost down to iron sight alignment/cheek weld.
The Ruger lows are OK, but I like the Leupy's better.
3 shot groups are an inch or under with either scope.
Darn thing shoots like a varmint rifle! (Kicks too much for prairie dog town use, and it gets really hot shooting it in 87* sunshine)
The HS Precision stock is very comfortable, and luckily came to me in my length of pull, 13 1/4".

The Sako 338 WM was uneventful, sight in the Redfield 2-7, and proceed to shoot one inch 3 shot groups using 225gr Barnes XLC's,
IMR 4350 and CCI 250's.

After 20 rounds of 375 Ruger, and 12 rounds of 338, I had my limit of recoil for the day.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

After 20 rounds of 375 Ruger, and 12 rounds of 338, I had my limit of recoil for the day.

I'd imagine so...

Good work!

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This Hornady ammo is really accurate, even though I got a lot of reloading components and dies with this rifle, it might be a while before I need to do any for this rifle

I found out the same thing. Hornady Factory 270 loads were better than my handloads. They kill critters just fine. Bob

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GuyM

I'd imagine so...

Good work!

Guy

Thanks, I'll fess up to wearing a Past Recoil Shield.
No way I'd have made it to that round count with just a short sleeve shirt! eek

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
All of my Ruger rifles now wear Alaska Arms rings and I am trying to talk them into making their rings to fit Weaver/Picitinny bases as well

👍🏻

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 458Win

that will be great. thanks for that Phil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
425 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.