Print Thread
Hop To
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My wife lined up a trip with another couple to Cancun, at a nice all inclusive place. I've never been to Mexico, or to an all-inclusive. Even though tips are supposedly included, I've heard you'll get great service if you tip the staff a dollar or so, as they could use the funds, but another friend said not to tip. Thoughts on that? I've also heard to drink only bottled water. Any tips here from experienced Mexico travelers?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Giving tips never hurt the level of service in my experience but I think it's worth more than a dollar.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any decent place should have there own water system. Just be careful when you stop to get a drink some place. Remember ice is water.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked every other week of last year in central Mexico. Only got sick once and I'm not blaming it on the water or food, could have just been happenstance. I never drank 'tap' water so to speak, only bottled water. I did use ice in my drinks though. I only did that in fairly 'nice' places. My coworkers swore that you need to keep your system lubricated with Tequila to ward off bacteria. They didn't get sick either. I don't drink, so not sure if thats true or not...

Went to Cozumel for a wedding a month ago. At the resort I used the ice in my drinks with no issues.

As to tipping, we didn't tip every Tom, Dick and Harry, but did some. Resort said it was included in their workers pay.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Tipping solves a multitude of problems. Tipping generously solves even more problems. The water can be a problem be sure to get a prescription for an antibiotic prophylactic and take it. It does you no good at to have it and not take it. Trust me on this. Usually for Mexico and Central America I have been prescribed Cipro.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
did this several years ago, and tipped a dude a couple of bucks, the guy wouldn't stop bringing me drinks, something like 19 shots of tequllia later i stumbled away

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stayed at an all inclusive place near Cancun

It was ok but not my cup of tea, I tipped discreetly. Place I was at the staff got in trouble if they caught them accepting tips

Weird place, beautiful but weird. Idgaf. All my expenses were paid, I had to spend some money

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
While at Cozumel, forgot and used tap water while brushing my teeth. Survived.

On the island making purchases the locals use a calculator to show you the price in USD, any change you get is in Peso's. At the airport when purchasing refreshments, everyone is dumping the accumulated Peso change in the tip bottle at the cash register.

There is a Peruvian coin the size of a US quarter that I received in change here in US.(no idea of it's value) While in Cozumel I left it as part of a tip, it was accepted but I was given a stern look.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We have been to several all inclusives in Mexico and tip, modestly. A couple bucks a day for the room maid, a few dollars a day for the waiters/waitresses goes a long way to helping ensure continued good service. Made the mistake of tipping once for $10 bucks the first night to ensure lots of bottled water in the room each day. Never did see that guy again in our two weeks, nor any overabundance of bottled water, so I will not make that mistake again! Outside the resort I would only drink bottled water, the resort itself should have it's own water filtration system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The place was built for tourists, and for me it's hard to believe they wouldn't chlorinate the water.
But I've been told by good authority not to drink the tap water in Mejico - anywhere.

Last edited by night_owl; 06/21/17.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Daveman
My wife lined up a trip with another couple to Cancun, at a nice all inclusive place. I've never been to Mexico, or to an all-inclusive. Even though tips are supposedly included, I've heard you'll get great service if you tip the staff a dollar or so, as they could use the funds, but another friend said not to tip. Thoughts on that? I've also heard to drink only bottled water. Any tips here from experienced Mexico travelers?

For a week we always take $200 in singles. A buck at each meal then a couple on the bed each day helps. I have been told those jobs are highly sought after due to the tips they get.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always tip them, they say you can drink the water but I do not, however I do use it to brush my teeth and they also use it for all the ice they mix your drinks with so it is probably save in your resort outside the resort....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Most all inclusive resorts there have their own filtration plants, or Cancun has one for the whole place I think. I still don't drink the water unless I have to. Drink the bottled stuff whenever you can. The ice is made of it, but plenty of alcohol will help. Or just drink beer.

They say not to tip at the all inclusive resorts, but everyone does and it helps get you better service. Just scope it out on the first day and see what's going on. You might have to keep it on the down low.

For your own safety, DO NOT LEAVE Cancun Island. The neighboring city of Cancun is the hood and you might find yourself to be a statistic.

If you're into fishing, find out what's around this part of the year and only book a trip with a reputable fishing service. These can be booked at the hotel.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've been traveling to the West Coast and East Coast of Mexico multiple times a year for over 25 years. Drink bottled water as a rule. When I was working we stayed at all inclusive resorts. I have always Tipped. The maids the waiters bartenders. Usually around 200 pesos a day. We now rent a house for 3 months. I continue to tip our maid, the garbage collector, waiters , waiters bartenders. Our favorite drinks are on the table by the time we sit.

F

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In Mexico beer is your friend when away from the large hotels.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bangeye
In Mexico beer is your friend when away from the large hotels.

Cerveza por favor!

That's the limit of my Spanish.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There's a gauntlet of time share folks inside the Cancun airport. Walk past all of them and find your ride outside!!

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Go to ruins at Tulum and Chichen Itza. Go to the park at Xel-Ha. Tip a bit, don't be a cheap ass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

125 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 13 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.