Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McCormick Power Mags can be tough on alloy frames, a fact McCormick acknowledged by introducing the Power Mag+. I don't differentiate magazines by frame material (all for one, one for all) so no use for Power Mags. Wilson Combat magazines generally disable the design goal of the 1911: controlled feed. No thanks.

Metalform magazines are the standard in conventional magazines, but the improved, dare I say modernized, follower of the Tripp magazine is my nomination for the Best.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Obviously, there can be great variation in dimension among the various brands.

As there is with both frames & even more so with trigger stirrups.................that's why there is a tool for shaping them.

Far more likely one of the above than the mags, IMO & IME.

MM

Trigger Stirrup Tool

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Obviously, there can be great variation in dimension among the various brands.

As there is with both frames & even more so with trigger stirrups.................that's why there is a tool for shaping them.

Far more likely one of the above than the mags, IMO & IME.

MM

Trigger Stirrup Tool

Agreed, it's a possibility. Though, I did have my pistol looked at by a gunsmith who builds custom 1911s. Since we were able to find quality magazines that work and fit very well, we left it at that. I just didn't expect the KimPro and McCormick mags to drop out as if they were catapulted out of there and the one Wilson that needed to pounded on to get it to fully insert and the others that needed to be dragged out of the pistol. Clearly the Wilson mags had the largest outside dimensions of all the magazines I tried.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger stirrup issue is a fairly common problem with mag ejection.........................

I have a dozen 1911's......................Wilson's fit & eject easily from every one of them but I have had Colt mags that would not eject from the Colt pistol that they came with not eject until they were well sanded & polished.

The Colt's are the only mags that have ever given me a problem.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wilson 47D.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried several and am not loyal to a brand just because of the name. I go with what works. That said:

Tripp - easily THE most reliable magazine I've used. When I shot in a bowling pin league, I put thousands of rounds per year through about six different Tripp Research mags.

KimPro Tac - strangely enough, these have also been perfect for me. I've been waiting for one to screw up, but it hasn't happened yet.

Wilson - I've had two of them give me trouble. When that happened, I got rid of the six or eight that I had.

But, whatever works in your gun, use that and don't let us interweb know-it-alls tell you any different. It's your money, your gun, and your life.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll take 7 round metalforms, they work. At much as it pains me to say, the Kimpro's seem to be very good mags....

Wilsons, not a real fan of week springs...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1beaver_shooter, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.