-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would much rather let an animal go on, than take a ?? shot.
I also don't care for tracking wounded game. I also hate missing, like everyone else.
Never really thought about the # thing before. I know it's a shot or not, game on or not.

You all have a great day.
Going to be another hot one today, maybe 110-111'F. Were on a run here, with the # of days over a 100'. It will end up about 10 -12 days over 100' That's hot! I know some live where this would be like a drop in the ole bucket.
R.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by okie john
I don't put numbers on it. I just have a gut feeling, and it's pretty conservative.

Okie John

I can't put numbers on it in the field when I'm actually hunting. All I can say is, if I don't have confidence I can make the shot I don't take it.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Basically 100%. .

So it stands to reason that you've never missed a shot then?

Of course he hasn't. He's the only member of the 'Fire that might just be as awesome as 'Stick!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally posted by GW:

"Question fer you guys,

if ya get several twofers (two with one shot) does that make up for the misses?"

Ya, it counts on piglets, gophers & such. Congrats !

More than once I've passed on 2fer1 on deer. Sometimes it's been doe & fawn, some doe & doe. So far I haven't had a buck & doe line up for me, but I'd probably NOT pass on that. We can take 6 Doe or 4 Doe & 2 bucks- in my zone - so it would be legal .

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, I don't want to clean 2 deer at the same time if I can avoid it. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

I've done that ENUFF that I don't want to now. None were 2fer1.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rost495

we got 10 in 2 days last trip

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is fun nailing football size porkers on the move at 120 yds.

but the downside!

I got plum tired just pinching fleas and pulling of ticks off me, not to mention the skinning. And it got warm to boot! By time I was done I was sweating like a politician telling the truth!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/22/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
By time I was done I was sweating like a politician telling the truth!

I'm calling Bullsh** GW!!!

Ain't no such thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GW

I'm NOT asking to come hunt w/you but...

I'd be glad to help you reduce those vermin, FREE OF CHARGE, be your driver, gun bearer, game DRAGGER,
and keep you supplied w/your beverage of choice. grin grin

Ole Friend Ole Buddy Ole Pal
laugh laugh

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/23/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
PM your way!

BTW, you owe me a keyboard as I spit Carlo Rossi Pisano all over it as I read your post. LOL

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

PS: My dear old mom was born in Smackover Arkansas some 91 years ago this fall. She is still with us and luvs to chomp on pork loins and ribs from the hoglets I shoot! About once a month she asks "when are you gonna make me some more bucksticks and jerky?

Last edited by geedubya; 06/22/17.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use the gut feeling to determine shoot don't shoot also.
If my gut feeling is not 100% I wait for another day

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't put numbers on it. I just have a gut feeling, and it's pretty conservative.

Yep something inside can tell person its right to take the shot or not.
A person can at times over analyse a situation looking for the green or red light.

I've had guides and hunting partners try to talk me out of some shots, but went ahead
and nailed them anyway with confidence, but have embarrassed myself at times also.

"Fools are always sure of themselves , whereas wise men tend to doubt" -B.R.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by geedubya

BTW, you owe me a keyboard as I spit Carlo Rossi Pisano all over it as I read your post. LOL GWB

grin grin

Send me a bill ! It's worth it to spread a little "laughter is the best medicine".

Always enjoy your posts and others like J G R of game, varmints, etc. I like seeing that some are doing not just talking ! !

Later

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Be careful, I believe he's a top, which might work for you, who knows.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bangeye
What percentile of confidence of making a shot to the vitals do you consider necessary before taking a given opportunity to shoot at a game animal? Stated another way on any given shot do you have to feel I can make that shot 98 times out of 100, 95 times out of 100 ,75 times out of 100 etc. before you will attempt or pass on a shot at game.

There is no set % for me. I practice out to 600 but my longest ever was 487 on elk. Have passed on shots from spitting distance on out.

If I'm comfortable I take the shot. Lots of reasons for passing but if I don't think I can make the shot I work for a better opportunity.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is pretty rare that I take a shot without being 100% "sure" that I will hit...but things can and do happen. I have missed a fair number of times, and I usually am pretty shocked that I did so. This is pertaining to big game...I will take poorer shots on coyotes, fox, badgers, etc. and absolutely will not apologize for it. I will sometimes take a less than perfect shot on birds but I do pass on a lot of them due poor presentations given...however occasionally I am a bit surprised when I do hit on a wild shot. If I wing a bird, I have a dog that is pretty damn good at finding runners so I don't feel it is "bad" to take less than optimal shots on birds.

Big game is a different matter, for several reasons. Right or wrong, ethical or not, it is how I do things.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will NEVER take a shot at anything other than a bird, that I have the slightest doubt about. I too, have several jam up retrievers that live to find a bird. I would not shoot a the smallest of God's creatures, if I was not very certain that I was going to recover the animal. I consider it, my responsibility to wild things.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
S & A

I think most of us try to do our best but. ...

STUFF happens.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall

STUFF happens.

Jerry

Yes it does. That's why I get a chuckle at the "100%" answer to this question.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Shooting turtles and snakes in a pond. A blast.

Taking a quiver rabbit and setting out with my Foxpro Fx3 and letting loose with a wounded rabbit distress call, get under cover with a small caliber rifle and a shotgun and pot shoot crows near and far.

Or in the fall around September when the pecans are still green, sit in a well house or in your car under the branches and pot shoot crows. Hit em' with a 25 gr. V-Max out of a 17 Mach iv doing 3,600 fps + at a distance of 30' or less and watch em' explode.

Attempt to point shoot water beatles/minnows in a ditch, or dragon flies on the wing, or roaches or dirt dobbers crawling up a wall, or wasp nests, all with a Daisy pump.

Cow birds in rice fields.

Bats and bull-bats just before dark with a shotgun.

Wonder if i will ever grow up.

I guess I'm just a sybarite/barbarian.

ya!

GWB

PS: I kill critters, harvest crops!

Last edited by geedubya; 06/24/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Okie John

That captures it.

My dad was a superb shot and his philosophy, passed on to me, was to “put it on him” and shoot. If it is not “on him” then why would you shoot? Don't bother. Hope shots are a different category, for a different category of hunter. If anyone doesn't know what I mean by “put it on him” then shoot till you do. A rifleman should know when he is on target and when he isn't. Practice and shoot till you know.

Once in awhile something unexpected happens, such as hitting an unseen twig. I don't miss much, and it is an obsession with me after the shooting to figure out why a miss happened. Once I know why I missed what looked like a good sight picture, then I am OK and know what to do to avoid such a miss. There are only two shots on game in my recall that are total mysteries as to why the bullet missed (if it did). No shots are 100% with mechanical devices operating outdoors, but civilian rifle shots on game should be pretty close.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.