Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Vortex or Nikon which one and why?
I'm going to buy one once they are both out.
Any help appreciated.
Tia

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm just guessing, but they appear to be the exact same units with a little different armoring and brand label. One big difference is that Vortex warrants the entire product, electronics and the binocular, for a lifetime. Nikon doesn't, and Nikon has as non transferrable warranty. Aside from that I know zero.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Raider that's what I figured out to. If I knew for sure they were the same product it would be an easy decision. I had nothing but bad luck with vortex they always break. Anybody have any idea if they are made in the same plant, glass who's better and rangefinder quality and features.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've played around with the Nikon unit at the various shows, but it was always indoor under the lights. No hands on with the Vortex. Being that we don't have a dog in this ring, I don't feel bad for posting. I do know that the glass on each will be coming for different factories, so there will be an optical difference. However, with and of the RF Bino's, the assembly and addition and design of the electronic component addition to the barrels is key.

I'd say best bet to not be upset is to get behind both and decide when available. If you can swing it, ordering both at the same time and doing a side by side and then returning the second place finisher is always best.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks tract so which one will have better glass.
Ps with the reviews you guys are getting maybe a rfb should be in the works.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thats a toss up, both are stating ED glass used (although there are many variants of ED glass). Being that both have the same 'street price', I would bet a sxs would almost be needed, at least by what the info I'm finding is.

A RF bino is certainly something that we've talked about, but just need to fill in some other areas in our line up first. A new optic, which caters to a LR crowd, is on the fast approaching horizon...

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Awesome my next scope will be one of yours

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I have used several time the Hooway 7x50 https://goo.gl/kEsVs3 Not mine frown but like it, waterproof, range finder and compass, good quality

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vortex has the best warranty in the industry and is the only one to cover electronics for life.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sitka, have you sampled the new Vortex Fury RF/bino yet? Hearsay says optics are on par with Viper HD, which would be a good thing. Wondering how quick the laser is too?

I only sampled the Nikon version inside Cabelas store, and optics were fine, laser was very quick. I don't trust Nikon's CS though.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/24/17.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Sitka, have you sampled the new Vortex Fury RF/bino yet? Hearsay says optics are on par with Viper HD, which would be a good thing. Wondering how quick the laser is too?

I only sampled the Nikon version inside Cabelas store, and optics were fine, laser was very quick. I don't trust Nikon's CS though.

I have not, still using Leica 1200, non-scan version... Cannot justify the need.

I have spent a bunch of time behind several Geovids and the Zeiss version... I prefer the Geovids due to feel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Roger that. I keep going back and forth on this one unit vs separate unit RF/bino deal. The was RF technology is advancing so rapidly, I'm a little hesitant to buy an all in one unit, especially at $2k+.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm with you JG hard to justify 3k for an all in one that is why I was inquiring about this one. I think I'll wait till someone with first hand knowledge can give me some info on pro's and cons of both. My brother has the geovids and at 5 years old had to send them in for laser repair cost him like a few hundred bucks. That was enough to keep me away from them even know I like them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say buy neither if you want to save some money pick up a used pair of geovids.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've no experience with either of these, but if the Vortex Fury RF is worth a damn, that's the route I'd go. Can't beat their warranty.

Last edited by GreatWaputi; 06/24/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JG,

BTDT, pondering over the best option.

The RF binoc is faster than individual units; that may be the biggest plus.

I got store sample Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF binocs from Doug and the gang for a little over half retail.

Before, I used Swaro or Kahles binocs with Leica RF, all great units.

Zeiss glass is really good, the RF will give readings out to 1,500-1,600 yds.

Sorta big, but not overly heavy, my go to unit.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I forgot you had that one DF. I've never heard anything bad out of that unit either. Thanks for the reminder.

cummins, no offense but I won't own another Leica anything until they update their pathetic warranty and customer service, especially a used one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Call Doug and see what he has.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Once again I'm with Jg on leica there is no warranty if you are not the original owner and that is to much money to spend and not get a warranty.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Once again I'm with Jg on leica there is no warranty if you are not the original owner and that is to much money to spend and not get a warranty.

And, if you just gotta have a Leica, IMO it would pay to buy from a strong dealer who can/will go to bat for you.

Dealers that sell thousands of dollars of Leica products each year have more stroke with Leica than you or I.

Unfortunale, but reality is reality, it is what it is.

Money talks, BS walks (gets ignored)..

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257 mag, 308ld, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 300jimmy, 21 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,166
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.