Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We went from round bales to 3X4 squares - mostly due to space needed in the hay barns.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's nice to be able to bale grass during daylight hours. I have to bale my alfalfa when the dew comes in to keep the leaves. It makes for long days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing how fast you can go baling. Nice job!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BeanMan
It's nice to be able to bale grass during daylight hours. I have to bale my alfalfa when the dew comes in to keep the leaves. It makes for long days.

And short nights!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
The net wrap is really nice. It used to take me about 45-50 seconds with twine. With net wrap it takes less than 20 seconds to wrap.

Net is more expensive, but you save it on time and fuel.

Not many big squares around here. None of it is stacked inside.

Folks have found that round bales keep better outside than big squares, especially if you are going to carry over some hay.

Most people here try to have some carry over.

We used to bale at night since we never get a dew in the mornings. Now we cut one day and bale it the next. We keep the rake a couple hours ahead of the baler so that the fluffed up windrows dry a bit more.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nuthin' better'n that older IH iron... Solid built - honest HP... Knew it was an IH as soon as I saw that hood, just didn't know the size..

Nice video... beautiful country!! smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
past 2nd cutting down here.

Of course the corn is past the roasting ear stage already too... seems like we had black silk around memorial day just south of us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, that really is beautiful country and I love haying big fields like that!

Driest spring here in +100 years, just unbelievable. Plenty of wind though, seems like it blows everyday. Blowing 40-50mph right now so I said the hell with it and called it a day.

That wrap sure is nice for making a quick bale, I don't miss waiting for twine one bit! We have a pair of NH 7090's and don't rake anything. You can really put up the hay in a timely fashion when they are both running. Short window for dew around here and it burns of quick.

What wrap do you use?

We use Bridon Integra and it's okay but not as strong the Vermeer brand. No big deal most of the time but it'll rip pretty easy when the damn ice comes around. Good for alfalfa bales because they tend to stay together a lot better than hay barley or straw.

Round bales just work better for us as well. Easy to feed with the pickup and like you say they carryover better. Like you guys we are looking to put up 1000 ton but I'm sure we'll have to buy some as well. Our dryland hay barley is in dismal shape and I doubt we'll even cut it. Hell half of it didn't even come up. Layin' in dry ground for the last 45 days....

But we got everything watered on the riverbottom and I've been cutting a hellacious 1st cutting of alfalfa. It should average 2-3 ton/acre.

Stressing out dodgin' fawns and birds....

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Blowing hard here too Sam. We never went to the field, thought about it a couple times and decided not too. This light hay would blow today, and if we got a fire going it might be in Wolf Point tonight.

We dont get a dew up here, about 10 miles south of the valley. We have to bale with some stem moisture. Sometimes a bit too much stem moisture!

We used the big rolls of John Deere wrap for a couple years. It was okay, but would have some trouble with damn near each roll. They were too heavy for anyone else but me...around 9000 feet.

Last year we switched to the Bridon stuff and really like it. Never have any trouble with it. Quite a bit lighter. We put on 2.2 wraps per the monitor.

I still use twine for straw and grain hay so they dont explode when frozen.

I am glad you are going to get a good first cutting. Most of the folks around here say their first will be poor. Some of them sprayed for weevils when they probably should have just gone ahead and cut it.

We have some organic wheat that looks okay. The lentils look okay too.

The safflower and conventional wheat are wrecks. Pretty much anything we seeded after the 15 of May is garbage.

We seeded into moisture but with wind every day it dried out past the seed. Only half a stand.

If we get some rain later we might work it up and plant millet or sorghum-sudan grass and try to sell it for hay.

Good looking fawn. I bet he was in the next swath over on the next round.

Too many seagulls though.......

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, thanks for the info, just about the same deal here.

Things are so far gone that even if it did rain it's too late.

We have bare dirt all over the place out in the hills. No grain sprouted, hell the damn weeds didn't even spout after the pre-spray....

I wish you guys the best of luck.

At least the cattle market is holding steady(for now...).

And if you have any wheat in the bin spring wheat is at the highest price in 2 years.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The weather's been to wet to make dry hay here. We've been wrapping everything. Chipping away at our dryer fields in between showers.

Few loads tonight.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Nothing like a good ol binder. I run a 1586 for plowing and cutting tractor. Square bale with a Case 2290. Backup tractor is a John Deere 4020. Just finished round baking part of my coastal. 95 bales on 25 acres. Sudan made 124 on 32acres. We've had a fair year for rain finally. Thanks for the video. I enjoy seeing how other people farm. Always good to see a good ol international still being used.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jeezus, what a cool video. Damn, that's a lotta flat field, all connected. Very nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The good old days...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a lot of bales to move. My neighbor's putting up small square straw bales. His brother has a contract with every Walmart in a seventy-five mile radius as well as a big farm store chain. I guess they make pretty good money off them. I never made anything off small squares. I still have my square baler out in the barn. I haven't used it in probably twenty years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is it weird if I look at that video and just wonder how I would have to adjust my hunting style if I lived out there? Put enough hay away as a youngster usually the one at the top of the mow getting all the dust from each bale coming off the elevator and working near the roof where it's a stifling 100 degrees with no air moving on a good day, that anything hay related makes me intentionally think of other things as an automatic defense mechanism to forget the torture. Lol.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Red clover, just got in—another long day.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I drool with lust when I see alla them round bales!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My cousin is a lot bigger farmer than me. I had to go over there today and I was telling him and my Uncle about this video. The old 1086 was right outside the shed, broke down. Cuz says too much money to fix. Over $3000 just for tires. The sheet metal looks better than yours, but about everything else is done for. Just wore out.

He's got a nearly new John Deere (Kuhn) Disc Mower sitting in the shed. I pointed out his old disc mower laying in two pieces outside, to my son and said, "I got our disc mower a year after he got that one,". Jeff was amazed. Then later I realized that wasn't even the mower, it was the one he traded the original disc mower that was a year older than mine, off for." So it was a lot newer than mine. Mine is a New Idea, a company that got bought by Fiat and had their disc mowers re-branded Hesston. Cuz' second mower didn't last nearly as long as the first. I think mine is a '96. I think my baler must be a 2005.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's a whole lotta hay.... Wouldn't be much fun to little square bale...grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
436 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 45 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.