Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My boy wants to know what you're running for a tractor?

How fast are you running, 5-6mph?

Even with light hay, that's a pretty nice baler to eat that up at that speed.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
'77 1086 International. I gave 5000 bucks for it years ago.

I was running 10 or so in that video.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That one smooth-ass field. Gotta love round bailers, there's no slowing down for the packer to catch up.

Did you kill the fücking bird who shît all over your hood?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's the hp of a 1086?

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
130 ish PTO

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kingston
That one smooth-ass field. Gotta love round bailers, there's no slowing down for the packer to catch up.

Did you kill the fücking bird who shot all over your hood?

Ha! Kinda.

When I first go going the other day I noticed a loss of power and my air cleaner light would come on pulling the hill headed south.

I took the hood off to blow out the cleaner and found a nest in the air cleaner. Damned starling had flown up the air inlet pipe and made a fine nest for herself. I had to disassemble the grille and some baffles to to get the nest out.

Had a couple dead chicks in it, so at least I killed some of them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i hate starlings. only redeeming thing about them is they afford some fair pass shooting.
we are cutting timothy now between rain storms. seems like one day sun one day rain.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i hate starlings. only redeeming thing about them is they afford some fair pass shooting.
we are cutting timothy now between rain storms. seems like one day sun one day rain.

They raise some timothy in the valley. Never been around it. Do you feed that to cattle or is timothy horse hay?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In PA we grow Timothy and Clover for cattle feed.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I bet timothy and clover makes a fine ration.

What kind of clover?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Around here timothy is the preferred horse hay. I have some timothy in all my pastures/hay fields. Makes nice hay but doesn't seem to regrow real well.

I just finished hauling in bales off the field around our house today. ent out to finish hauling bales in and the dang tractor wouldn't start. Luckily the boss hadn't left yet so I had her pull start me. Got the rest of the bales in and stacked. Then I "repaired" some gated pipe to get water on that field late this evening.

I hate hauling bales. My loader tractor is old and a bit fragile. I am sitting there in the tractor constantly waiting for the dang thing to break down, as it did today. Have a guy coming to pull the starter, hoping to get it into the shop and repaired tomorrow.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The oldsters fed Timothy to their hosses and mules around here in the old days. Nobody raises it anymore. There is still some growing down in my pastures though. Here and there. My family had two 1086's. First one bought brand-new out of Miami, Oklahoma. Remember when they delivered it. Awesome tractor in 1977. My cousin later bought a used one...I think it was an '80 or '81 model.

You sure are going faster than I do. Of course, I live in the area between the Plains and the Ozarks and I don't have one meadow that's not up and down.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the video. It sure is a different scale than on a small family farm back east.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice setup, Ethan!

Jim, I'd wreck the tractor and baler doing 10mph here. laugh

Too much hog damage. About the fastest I care to run doing anything in a pasture or field is about 4.5mph. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They grow a LOT of hay here. There's about 1/2 million dairy cows here plus a lot of beef stock. For some reason, we seldom see round bales. Big bales are much more common, usually stacked about 4 high on the west sides of lots for windbreaks until its fed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are two issues with round bales that come into play around here. One, they don't transport easily, because the dimensions are awkward for a semi-trailer.

Second, especially around here, the humidity is only high enough for a few hours a day so that the hay doesn't crumble to dust going through the baler. A round baler, at least the ones I've been around, need to stop and tie off the strings once the bale is completed. Then you eject the bale, and start a new one.

The square balers are more expensive, but you can keep running when a bale is completed and being tied off. When fighting time, that makes a substantial difference, at least 50% more throughput. It can be the difference between green hay and brown hay, as well. Combine that with the easy of transport, the square bales win.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
There are two issues with round bales that come into play around here. One, they don't transport easily, because the dimensions are awkward for a semi-trailer.

Second, especially around here, the humidity is only high enough for a few hours a day so that the hay doesn't crumble to dust going through the baler. A round baler, at least the ones I've been around, need to stop and tie off the strings once the bale is completed. Then you eject the bale, and start a new one.

The square balers are more expensive, but you can keep running when a bale is completed and being tied off. When fighting time, that makes a substantial difference, at least 50% more throughput. It can be the difference between green hay and brown hay, as well. Combine that with the easy of transport, the square bales win.

Most of the round bales here are wrapped now, instead of tied.

The transport of round bales here is mostly local too. Usually the guy selling the hay offers a delivery price and a pick up price.

I pick mine up. There's a distance from the ranch where loads exceeding weight and width are exempted from DOT rules. I believe it's 125 mile radius. Not that I'd care to take a long road trip with a load like the one below... wink Hay and trailer weight exceeded 30,000 pounds per load.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice setup, Ethan!

Jim, I'd wreck the tractor and baler doing 10mph here. laugh

Too much hog damage. About the fastest I care to run doing anything in a pasture or field is about 4.5mph. wink

Thanks. Mine is old-school without a computer and with string instead of wrap. After seeing that video it's obvious I need to trade my baler for a netwrap with a monitor.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.