Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking at .30-06. What is your experience?

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

All mine are shooters

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had one. It was good enough for a hunting rifle. 1-1.25 inches was its typical best.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
In 30-06, mine was average. It was a 1-1.5" shooter with great regularity and my handloads for it. I've had a bunch of these and the were either average or excellent. Both the 243s were average, but the 308 and 270 were both very good (MOA or better).

Good luck with it. Bomb proof rifles for sure.
Rob

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One in .308 has been my general big game rifle for years. It shoots 1.5 moa 5 shot groups with just about anything. That's about as well as I can do with a post reticle 3x Weaver.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My 7Mag shoots very well with 150NBTs, the only bullet I've tried so far. I call this my light load, more like a 280Rem at 2890fps. 62gr IMR4350.

[Linked Image]

This is 68gr RL22 at 3100.

[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stocks work just fine but some of the barrels on Rugers of the era were not always good shooters. I have a number of the stocks and have dropped new Rugers in them, mostly 375 and 416 Rugers and everyone has shot under MOA

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I had one in 35 Whelen that shot 1 MOA with 250-grain Hornady RN bullets at 2,550 fps. It might have shot better, but recoil was about all I could stand. I never saw the Zytel stock as an accuracy-limiting factor.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by okie john
I had one in 35 Whelen that shot 1 MOA with 250-grain Hornady RN bullets at 2,550 fps. It might have shot better, but recoil was about all I could stand. I never saw the Zytel stock as an accuracy-limiting factor.

Okie John

...or an accuracy-enhancing factor

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Okie John

I have a 257 Roberts Hawkeye UL that was terrible in the factory wood, good groups were 3" normal was around 5". I swapped it into a boat paddle and it immediately shrank the groups to down around 1". The factory wood was not cut deep enough under the recoil lug and I guess when everything was torqued it put something in a bind.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Okie John

I have a 257 Roberts Hawkeye UL that was terrible in the factory wood, good groups were 3" normal was around 5". I swapped it into a boat paddle and it immediately shrank the groups to down around 1". The factory wood was not cut deep enough under the recoil lug and I guess when everything was torqued it put something in a bind.

A little stock gouging and a tube of JB Weld or Acraglas might have fixed the original.

I have two Tangs, that both, with bedding and free-floated barrels, went from not so good (3+ or more) to 1.25 MOA, or better with some hand loads. For that matter, my first Ruger (77V )Tang in .25-06, shot 5 inch, 5 shot groups with factory, but MOA with neck-sized only hand loads from fired brass. Didn't like a clean barrel either, so one shot always went down the tube before going out into the killing field. Factory standard all the way, never "tweaked". But I didn't know any better then...

Last edited by las; 06/19/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las

Okie John

A little stock"gouging" and a tube of JB Weld Acraglas might have fixed the original.

I thought about that and while I really like the look of the factory wood dropping that UL in a boat paddle made it perfect as far as weight and balance. I bedded it into the boat paddle stock and I just put the factory wood up in the safe.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las

Okie John

A little stock"gouging" and a tube of JB Weld Acraglas might have fixed the original.

I thought about that and while I really like the look of the factory wood dropping that UL in a boat paddle made it perfect as far as weight and balance. I bedded it into the boat paddle stock and I just put the factory wood up in the safe.

I have several used, but not very dinged wood Ruger stocks in storage myself, from my gunsmithing days, from guys that wanted "plastic". Weight, balance, and personal preference are not to be gain-sayed.

Last edited by las; 06/19/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by june6th1944
Looking at .30-06. What is your experience?

Mine came in a laminate stock as was retro-fitted with a Zytel skeleton stock. Several years back I took it and a Zytel .338 WM to the range for a final scope and range check.

After checking the scopes at 100, I went to the .600 yard range where I had some clay pigeons on the berm. With a total of 5 shots (3 for one, 2 for the other), I nailed a pigeon with each rifle. Pretty sure the three shot effort was for the .338WM, which went first.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Ruger laminates are heavy. They are a strange combination for a rifle with a relitively light contour barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

I have several used, but not very dinged wood Ruger stocks in storage myself, from my gunsmithing days, from guys that wanted "plastic". Weight, balance, and personal preference are not to be gain-sayed.

Calling a boat paddle an upgrade is damn funny!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's not to like about the Zytel boat paddles? I've got three of them. One came that way, one was a build and one I "upgraded" from a laminate.

Accuracy has never been an issuw with them. In 2012 I took the .338WM and .30-06 to the range for a final scope check. After a shot or three with each at 100 I headed to the 600 yard range where I put clay pigeons up on the 600 yard berm. Five shots total, 3 with one, 2 with the other, and a pigeon apiece.

L to R, .338WM (build), .300WM (factory), .30-06 (upgrade). Put a Limbsaver on the .338 and tamed it considerably. The other two don't bother me.
[Linked Image]

Always on the lookout for more Zytel stocks at "reasonable" prices.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/24/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My all weather 77 Hawkeye .30-06 does 1" @ 100 with 165 gr. Winchester power point factory loads and about 1 1/2" with 180's. The only thing I did to it was cut the sear engagent down to eliminate creep and file the mag box so it wasn't pinched beteen the action and bottom metal. I don't plan on shooting prairie dogs with it so that's good enough for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.