Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Oops I didn't realize my opinion was gonna need to be backed up by....well....my opinion. I guess now is where I lay my experience out there and we compare who should have more value to their own opinion based off their experience and somehow decide if one opinion is more right or wrong than another?
I just emailed a couple bear biologists to check instead. If they agree with you, I'll post it. No harm no foul.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your opinion is just opinion with zero support offered. My comments are experience-based on a relatively huge sample size. Mentioning my company from here is only to support the fact I do get off the couch once in a while with witnesses reading this thread.

John Crye in Kodiak, ADF&G bear biologist, would be a good source for you.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're either up late or up early Art!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to color phase of bears, I've noticed a difference between coastal bears and interior bears

Hunting southwest in the wood tikchik my experience is similar to Sitka Deer, can't recall ever seeing a big bear with Toklat coloring light with dark legs

In the interior mostly around black rapids I've seen bears with the Toklat coloring that appeared to be mature bears, sample size much smaller as I've seen and observed bears more often and up close in sw than I have in the interior

Is it relevant? I dunno. I'm not a biologist nor play one on tv, just a guy that's spent a fair amount of time behind binocs and is always tickled to spot and observe game

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd say in the end if the "owner" of the bear is happy I could care less...

I"ve taken does on Montague before instead of whacking young bucks, and was just fine with that. Although others on teh hunt were ribbing me that they got forks... whoopee...

Just thinking out loud, worth what you know its worth. LOL. Isn't there that eye of the beholder thing...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
John is a great source of information, although his area of bear knowledge is rather isolated. Different areas of the state do seem to have different colorations that are more or less common than other areas. I'm not saying a old bear can't be a dark bear, I'm just saying that an old bear isn't always a dark bear and that I'm not convinced that bears change color over the years. I'm unsure what s "huge" sample size means and I guess you've never really said how old you think a bear has
To be before it turns dark. I've seen a couple bears dead and alive but I try to leave the aging of bears to guys that went to school for it. Im always up for being wrong and learning something new.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Guy sorry for the bunny trail on this toklat topic. Here is some information from a biologist about bear coloration.

Does a bears color have anything to do with its age?

Biologist from palmer.
"Not that I can say. Cubs as you probably know can be anywhere from dark chocolate to blond and I Have sealed many bears of all shades at all ages. I do commonly hear from hunters and guides statements like "I knew it was old because it was so dark" I think this is a common wives tale and I don't have any evidence to support it.

Bears in late spring (haven't shed the hair from the previous year) tend to be lighter due to bleaching of the hair from the sun. It is possible that older bears are more nocturnal and their does not experience the same bleaching that young bears do because young are more active during the day."

So maybe something to it, maybe not. Once again Hal Waugh's knowledge is well noted..."the more I learn about brown bears the more I realize I don't know about brown bears."(as close as I can remember his exact quote.)

Last edited by powderburner; 06/21/17.
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by powderburner
Guy sorry for the bunny trail on this toklat topic.

No prob. I'm reading and learning. Sure enjoyed my most recent trip to your wonderful state!

On my drive up from Washington, I stopped to hike along still-frozen Lake Kluane and came fairly close to blundering right into this bear. We were on a collision course, before I reached my parked Jeep and noticed him.
[Linked Image]

Have been making trips to Alaska every now and again since 1979. Early on it was backpacking but for the past twenty or so it's been to fly fish the silver salmon run. From that very first trip so long ago, I've wanted to see more of Alaska than just the coast, and I've wanted to hunt there as well. This was a real treat for me! Enjoyed it so much, and glad I took the time to drive up and back for a change.

The Brooks Range/Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is a very special place indeed!

Banter away about the coloration. Darned if I know!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guy thanks for your kind words about the place we call home and thanks for spending some time with us.

As others have noted, your bear is beautiful.

We discuss bear coloration to give a rest on the .270 vs. -.06 debate (grin)

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I wonder if the cops knew when they were arresting Art that he is a legend...in his own mind. I bet you he cited all kinds of sources why he could handle his booze and truck. Like the number browtines on a moose your DUI # doesnt change Art...or does it?

Last edited by WDH; 06/21/17.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH
I wonder if the cops knew when they were arresting Art that he is a legend...in his own mind. I bet you he cited all kinds of sources why he could handle his booze and truck. Like the number browtines on a moose your DUI # doesnt change Art...or does it?

Very pathetic attempt, but I just realized why you keep bringing that up... hint... Art is not my first name. There are three Arts with my last name and I am not the one with a record... worst you are going to hang on me is my last speeding ticket in May of '94... I feel so dirty about that!

Now, go crawl back under your rock...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH

BTW, you just made my ignore list... have fun with the likes of JeffO... you earned the title of cum-guzzling-gutter-slut, wear it with all the pride you can muster.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by helidriver72
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. It was an awesome hunt!

Sometimes I can't believe I really did it...

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So.. planning your next trip up there yet? laugh

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kid0917

Yes.... smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome hunt. Especially with the '06. Congrats!
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by kid0917

Yes.... smile

Says it all! wink

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know schit about Taklot's but I know this is a great post.

Congrats on the wolf and bear.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't know schit about Taklot's but I know this is a great post.

Congrats on the wolf and bear.

Dave

Laughin' here, Thanks! Ya, I don't know about 'em either, but I had a great hunt!

I'd like to go back later in summer, do some fly fishin' for arctic grayling. Just camp, hike around. Try to avoid being eaten by a bear.

Guy

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.