Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
their math is off 4.28 seconds at nominal 2641 fps of the 50.reporters. they are so much smarter then us.
awesome shot. i guess i better start watching my six to the north, them Canadians are getting feisty!

Bullets slow down as they fly. You are calculating as if it maintains 2641 from the muzzle to the target.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
their math is off 4.28 seconds at nominal 2641 fps of the 50.reporters. they are so much smarter then us.
awesome shot. i guess i better start watching my six to the north, them Canadians are getting feisty!
I guess it depends on the load. US M33 ball is 660gr @ 2,900fps. Hornady makes a 750 boat tail at 2,800 fps. But I cant even find a ballistic calculator that goes to 2 mi (3,520 yards).

If someone has a calculator, here's the specifics on the Hornady A-Max load:
750gr boat tail
Velocity: 2,800fps
BC: 1.050 (holy-crap!!!)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For velocity and time of flight purposes couldn't you use the calculator to its max range, note the remaining velocity, then use that as an input for another run? Add up the time of flights for the different runs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a great shot, but a lot of luck involved at that range. Definitely a S.W.A.G. shot on the holdover and especially the windage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Northman
Canadians have the 1.2.3 & 5 furthest shot by now?

They're too scared to get any closer....LOL

Impressive for sure eek

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I guess it depends on the load. US M33 ball is 660gr @ 2,900fps. Hornady makes a 750 boat tail at 2,800 fps. But I cant even find a ballistic calculator that goes to 2 mi (3,520 yards).

If someone has a calculator, here's the specifics on the Hornady A-Max load:
750gr boat tail
Velocity: 2,800fps
BC: 1.050 (holy-crap!!!)

JBM goes to 4000......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Heeler
Rifle was a McMillan TAC-50 with suppressor. The 'can' looked all of two feet long.
How much would that affect velocity?

most suppressors ad velocity by a tiny bit IIRC.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A very good, amazing and skilled shot. Certainly the stars lined up for the shooter and his spotter as well. Mind boggling the number of variables. Last year, shooting a paltry 1000 yds I was humiliated chasing the X-ring. Strange wind came up and it was anybodies guess. Far better shooters than I were kicking the dirt. Can't imagine multiplying that many times over. Calculating drop is one thing but man-oh-man how many things could effect windage. Not to mention is the target moving, does he keep moving constant, does he stop, or change directions.

Not taking away a THING from the shooter but WOW, WOW, WOW....

I guess at that range the nice part is you don't have to worry too much at returning fire. May Bless our Snipers and let them strike the kind of fear that drones can only dream to grow up to be.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I wonder what his 5 shot group looks like? Better yet, I wonder what 5 ISIS lined up would look like!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Heard some interesting commentary on the radio tonight (NPR). According to their guest, member of Canadian Parliament, there is some ruffled feathers over all this. Apparently Trudeau had promised that Canada was strictly their in a 'non-combat' role and this action has crossed some lines. Be a shame if a successful program ended up getting killed by politics.

Sound's like liberal Canada doesn't appreciate a righteous kill as much as Americans do...they haven't even evolved to arguing about if it was a lucky shot, if the shooter was using a mil-quad, 6x, fixed fugher or any of the important stuff!

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mathman: I follow you!
But am not smart enough to do it.
Could you do it and solve this "time of flight" question/conjecture for us to to 2.14 miles?
Thanks anyway for your common sense suggestion.
I just mortified another Starling in my yard.
They are starting to learn when I exit the house with my 20 gauge 870 someone is gonna get ruffled feathers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
TOF was listed as 10 seconds.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

#Expert Analysis

The Canadian snipers had carefully chosen their hide site. From an elevated position, the Special Operations sniper looked through his scope at a stationary human target leaning against a cement wall over two miles away. The four-man sniper team had been pushing their shots out further and further into Mosul over the course of several days, taking down ISIS terrorists in long-range engagements. Now, they were about to make history.

Three Canadian sniper detachments have been active in Mosul, Iraq. Two of those sniper detachments hail from Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR) and one from Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2), both units falling under Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM). CSOR handles tasks commonly associated with American units such as Special Forces and Rangers while JTF2 is Canada’s counter-terrorism unit, filling a role similar to Delta Force. That CSOR is in Kurdistan conducting an advise and assist mission is public knowledge. JTF2 was accidentally exposed in theater by a video released in 2015. What the Trudeau administration doesn’t want people to know is that Canadian troops are actively involved in combat. Like many other western governments, the advise and assist mission is used as a politically neutral term to disguise what is really happening on the ground.

The record-breaking shot was taken by the JTF2 sniper team nearly a month ago, but is just being publicized now, largely because the Canadian military is proud of what their men have accomplished despite what hand wringing politicians might think. Let’s get one thing straight, the record-breaking shot was not at a distance of 3,450 meters as the press has reported, but 90 meters further at a range of 3,540 meters. This smashes the previous record-setting distance for a sniper kill which was 2,475 meters held by British sniper Craig Harrison.

Canadian snipers are known to be amongst the best in the world and the JTF2 sniper detachment had been training for ultra-long range engagements prior to their deployment in preparation for Mosul. From their sniper hide, a number of factors lined up making the record-breaking shot possible. Using Kestral wind meters and ballistic software, the guess-work has been removed from ballistics. This truly makes sniping a science, as successful shots are based on math. On this particular day, there was little wind and no mirage. Through their scope, the sniper and spotter saw the target remaining still long enough for them to hit from 3,540 meters away.

The McMillan Tac-50 was hardly a new rifle, but would do the job. The round fired was a match grade armor-piercing incendiary (API) round. JTF2 mostly utilizes Schmidt and Bender scopes, but also some made by Night Force. Which optic used that day remains unknown at this time. The rifle had been customized in order to gain the mil elevation needed to reach a target at such great distances by attaching special rails to the weapon. The adjustments dialed into the scope by the JTF2 sniper were 113 mils of elevation and 6.5 mils of windage. To learn more about the mil-dot system and how snipers use it to adjust for distance and wind, take a look at the following website.

The JTF2 sniper fired, and the target went down, felled by a .50 caliber bullet from over two miles away. The episode was actually recorded by a Predator drone circling overhead. SOFREP has also seen confirmation of the shot from CANSOFCOM.

Minutes later, the same sniper/spotter team noticed a group of three ISIS terrorists standing close to each other at about 3,200 meters away. It would have been another record-breaking shot. The sniper fired at the group and all three hit the ground. One shot, three kills? Unfortunately not this time, the three terrorists sprung up and ran away. The bullet most likely passed right in between them. For the Canadian hunter/killer team it was still an amazing day. Chalking up a record-breaking sniper kill is one thing, having video evidence of it puts the shot into a whole other league.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.