Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

I have a 2008 K1500 crew with the 5.3L. We are looking at upgrading the truck as we are considering a camp trailer that weighs 5500lb. empty, 6500+ loaded. I was seriously leaning 2500 6.0L gasser, but have recently learned of the new 6.2L with an 8 speed tranny in the new 1/2 ton. 95% of driving will be a commuter but 6-8 times a year it will be used to pull. They are rated for a pretty hefty 11,700lbs for towing.

Anybody have experience/opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
There are other things to consider when pulling heavy loads other than the engine, not to say that's unimportant.
As a rule the brakes of 1/2 ton trucks are smaller than 3/4 ton trucks, and that can be very important.
There are other differences also which should be considered.
Yes you will see and hear lots of people talk about hauling heavy trailers with 1/2 ton trucks.
At some point, the trailer might be driving the truck also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A year ago, I was faced with the same decisions- after towing my 6500 lb. trailer for a few trips, mostly in the mountains, with my Ram 1500, I felt like that even tho it was rated to do so, it was really struggling at high RPM over the mountain passes, and just didn't feel like I was fully in control.
I sold it, bought a GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax, and could not be happier about the decision. Plenty of power uphill, but as important to me, the exhaust braking capability is a big plus on long downhills.
Another important part of the equation, IMO, when towing, is the transmission. The GM Allison tranny in the Duramax version is one of the best there is.
I think that as a general rule of thumb, that if you are routinely towing over 5000#, the 2500 series trucks are essential, with the diesels being icing on the cake.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How much more power does the 6.2 have over the 6.0? My BIL has a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 pulling a 30' camper, 8400lb. He says it's way underpowered. He's in lower gears all the time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two years ago, I bought a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 6.2. It also has the max tow package which includes a bigger radiator, tow mirrors (which I love), electric trailer brake controller, and a few other things as part of the max tow pkg. Although I haven't towed anything as heavy as what you want to do, I can tell you it does not lack in the power department. The engine is factory rated at 420hp/460torque. As a daily driver, I average around 17-19 mpg mixed city and highway (unloaded), and 21-22 hwy, with best being right at 23. Not bad for a 5500lb truck.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A set of long tube headers on those engines is a night and day improvement. When going up hill at a higher RPM, they simply shine.

“Lighten up Francis”
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
A good tune running 93 octane does make a huge difference with the GM gassers. But if you do plan on towing quite often looking at the diesels should be suggested.
I towed a lot with my 1500 Silverado even after putting a 6.0 in it with heads, cam and a turbo it pulled heavy loads great. But your never going to be as efficient as a diesel. But then again diesels are expensive and costly to service.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
A good tune running 93 octane does make a huge difference with the GM gassers. But if you do plan on towing quite often looking at the diesels should be suggested.
I towed a lot with my 1500 Silverado even after putting a 6.0 in it with heads, cam and a turbo it pulled heavy loads great. But your never going to be as efficient as a diesel. But then again diesels are expensive and costly to service.

Except a tune will void the factory warranty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 6.0 does well enough sure a Duramax would be better. But $9k better. I dont think so. Friend put a supercharger on his 6.0 for 2 grand and equal weight I'd bet on that race.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 11,500 behind mine, and it pulled it great. i was blown away how well it did with that much weight one the bumper

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Gas trucks are way overgeared these days, and that is strictly so suburban cowboy commando commuters (like me) make enough empty mpgs to keep the EPA happy. It is liberating to dispense with the notion that the gasser is supposed to cruise towing at the same rpms as unloaded, and understand that 4000 rpm or more isn't the end of the world when climbing. Let 'er eat. Compare torque peak rpms of your newer gasser with your Duramax, and then see how that plays into the empty cruise and towing RPM conversation. There is no way I'd own a gas pickup with diff gearing higher than 4:10s. Ford supplied some V10 superduty trucks with 4:30s instead of 3.73s, and they have reputations as strong trucks when so geared.

I have a 7.3 diesel and a stick (because I'm a control freak) in my '99 ford, but if forced to buy new gas, would look for whomever has the best combo of gearing and doesn't derate or pull power for shifting (as GM has done with gassers/autos in the past).

I realize that newer auto's are better about this...but it bugs the crap out of me to listen to an automatic transmission try to find a gear in which it can lock the converter and not roast itself, diesel or gas. Moreso when towing heavy stuff on logging roads (btdt, with 454/4L80E 3/4 ton suburban). Any auto is going to hunt for it's EPA-driven optimal gear at all times, tow/haul or not, rather than just sticking it out at 4500 rpm for the duration of the climb, or 3000 rpm for the duration of the twists/turns/ups/downs. What a PITA.

The high water mark for gas pickups are the 6.0/NV4500 GMs and the V10/ZF6 fords, but the standard transmissions got shelved a decade ago. Maybe dodge has/had a similar OD stick for the hemi, IDK. Depressing. Makes a guy want to build a tow/haul only pre-EFI GM crewcab truck with a carb'd 454 of proper compression (9.0:1 to 9.5:1) and appropriate cam timing (210 to 220 at 0.050"), 4.56 gears and an NV4500 or spicer med duty standard trans. It would be fun to compare loaded economy with such a critter against a newer truck. Buy a milsurp K30 for the 4.56 axles (14-bolt FF and dana 60), a good 2WD pre-87 GM crewcab, and marry the two...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by yobuck
There are other things to consider when pulling heavy loads other than the engine, not to say that's unimportant.
As a rule the brakes of 1/2 ton trucks are smaller than 3/4 ton trucks, and that can be very important.
There are other differences also which should be considered.
Yes you will see and hear lots of people talk about hauling heavy trailers with 1/2 ton trucks.
At some point, the trailer might be driving the truck also.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Guys,

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

After much consideration I'm leaning towards a 2012-2015 Chevy K2500 with the 6.0L gas. The extra expense and maintenance cost of the Diesels are just too much to justify.
I will only be towing the camper 4-8 times a year and most of those trips are under 150 miles. I know a few guys that have gas 3/4 ton trucks and have picked their brains to the point of annoyance.
To a person they have really nothing bad to say about the gas engines when pulling a trailer and a couple use them every day for work trucks.
A diesel would pull better sure, but I don't think they make sense for my needs.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That short or a tow I would go gasser for sure. A lot cheaper and less to go wrong. I love my duramax but if it didn't tow 5k/year through the Rockies I would have gone gas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Guys,

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

After much consideration I'm leaning towards a 2012-2015 Chevy K2500 with the 6.0L gas. The extra expense and maintenance cost of the Diesels are just too much to justify.
I will only be towing the camper 4-8 times a year and most of those trips are under 150 miles. I know a few guys that have gas 3/4 ton trucks and have picked their brains to the point of annoyance.
To a person they have really nothing bad to say about the gas engines when pulling a trailer and a couple use them every day for work trucks.
A diesel would pull better sure, but I don't think they make sense for my needs.

Elk Country

My brother has a '15 with I believe the 6.0. Work truck, hauls some bikes and sleds....he seems to like it just fine.

I have a F250 with the v10 5spd and 4.33 rear end Vek mentioned. For as much as I tow, I'm with ya. Diesel would of been nice, but not worth the extra costs.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wouldn't tow much more than a small boat with a half ton.. You need the bigger brakes bigger radiator .....think gears more than motor...Hp rating is not near as important as torque....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 6.2 is a bad ass motor. Like the Z-28 of trucks and sounds good to boot. Actually gets better highway mpg than my Silverado with the 5.3 liter and 3.08 gears.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hi guys.... I have a 2003 Sierra 2500HD with the 8100 and a 5 spd Allison. How do the newer (2014 and up) 6.0's compare to the old 8100? I know they don't have the torque the 8100 does but how good are they at making up for it with the 6 spd tranny's vs my 5 spd? I've been kicking around the idea of a newer truck and I don't know if I want to go with a 6.0 or a diesel.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was looking at the 6.2 motor for a GMC Yukon and read that it's the same engine they use in the Z06...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by k20350
My 6.0 does well enough sure a Duramax would be better. But $9k better. I dont think so. Friend put a supercharger on his 6.0 for 2 grand and equal weight I'd bet on that race.

Where did he find a supercharger for a 6.0 GM, for 2k$ and what brand is it? I want to know. A buddy in Colorado has one on a 2500 hd, 6.0 and it's the real deal but cost one heck of a lot more than 2k$. Would much appreciate you checking that out and getting back here on it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
201 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.