24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One hel l of a shot. Glad it was our side.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
fburtgx: I don't know myself - I was NOT there and have never owned a 50 caliber BMG type Rifle.
I wonder if the bullet started out at say 2,000 F.P.S. and probably slowed down a LOT maybe averaging 1,132 F.P.S. over that 11,319 feet.
Thus that is how whoever wrote the story came up with that 10 second figure.
The VERY informative link that "AJ300MAG" linked to above shows a chart that alludes to the bullet getting there (travelling the 11,319 feet!) in just under 10 seconds.
I guess we could figure out the exact time if we knew the Ballistic Coefficient, weight and muzzle velocity off that 50 BMG round?
I will check into this a bit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fburtgx: I just got back from the Hornady site and they show a muzzle velocity for their 750 grain A-MAX bullet from a 50 BMG cartridge as 2,815 F.P.S. - that bullet had a muzzle energy by the way of 13,196 foot/pounds (ouch!)!!!
Then I checked their trajectory chart and that bullet at that speed when sighted in dead on at 200 yards dropped 35 inches out at 500 yards (or 1,500 feet).
I can't even imagine how much drop a 50 BMG projectile would have out at 11,319 feet (or 3,773 yards!)!
Debunking your "4 second" flight time though, the Hornady projectile would HAVE TO MAINTAIN that muzzle velocity from the muzzle then maintain that exact speed all the way out to 2.14 miles or 11,319 feet to get to that distance in 4.0209 seconds!
We both know that bullet can NOT do that speed for 2.14 miles to attain your guesstimate of 4.0209 seconds!
(I figured that out myself with some simple division 11,319' divided by 2,815' per second - resulting in 4.0209 seconds)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Fburtgx: I just got back from the Hornady site and they show a muzzle velocity for their 750 grain A-MAX bullet from a 50 BMG cartridge as 2,815 F.P.S. - that bullet had a muzzle energy by the way of 13,196 foot/pounds (ouch!)!!!
Then I checked their trajectory chart and that bullet at that speed when sighted in dead on at 200 yards dropped 35 inches out at 500 yards (or 1,500 feet).
I can't even imagine how much drop a 50 BMG projectile would have out at 11,319 feet (or 3,773 yards!)!
Debunking your "4 second" flight time though, the Hornady projectile would HAVE TO MAINTAIN that muzzle velocity from the muzzle then maintain that exact speed all the way out to 2.14 miles or 11,319 feet to get to that distance in 4.0209 seconds!
We both know that bullet can NOT do that speed for 2.14 miles to attain your guesstimate of 4.0209 seconds!
(I figured that out myself with some simple division 11,319' divided by 2,815' per second - resulting in 4.0209 seconds)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good point Varmint......I didn't calculate the bullet slowing down over that extreme range when figuring the time of flight in another thread.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
fburtgx: I don't know myself - I was NOT there and have never owned a 50 caliber BMG type Rifle.
I wonder if the bullet started out at say 2,000 F.P.S. and probably slowed down a LOT maybe averaging 1,132 F.P.S. over that 11,319 feet.
Thus that is how whoever wrote the story came up with that 10 second figure.
The VERY informative link that "AJ300MAG" linked to above shows a chart that alludes to the bullet getting there (travelling the 11,319 feet!) in just under 10 seconds.
I guess we could figure out the exact time if we knew the Ballistic Coefficient, weight and muzzle velocity off that 50 BMG round?
I will check into this a bit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm showing with a 200yd zero a drop of 8760" (730') at 3750yds (3429m) using the 750gr A-Max as the example. Flight time comes out as 8.04 seconds.

Of course the shot was fired from an elevated position so it wasn't actually quite the mortar shot those numbers make it out to be.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OSU.....Thanks for the clarification on horizon distance versus elevation. Only time I can see 2.9 mi. is on Lake Ontario, from shore or small boats,not up high (it's almost 60 miles across to Canada from my location and close to 200 miles long so there's lots of open space). Used to work with some ex-navy guys who knew the horizon distance based on the elevation of the bridge of their ship. Can't recall how far they could see but I remembered that getting a bit elevated sure puts the horizon further out there. Still can't imagine shooting 2.14 mi. even with that TAC 50 .. That had to look damn near like shooting at the horizon, or close to it...... God bless those guys and I hope they can pull off some more shots like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He used extra high rings on his scope which makes it shoot a LOT flatter.

True..... cause I read it here.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, the Earth's rotation is a factor that needs to be calculated for at that range???

Please don't feed the trolls!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Rooster7
That is simply mind boggling when you consider every single factor that had to go right in order to make that shot

which makes it a lucky shot. Plain and simple. But it was a damn educated lucky shot at that.

There was a sniper who shot a very long ways to kill a guy on a machine gun. A new guy stepped up. Took him out with the next shot and shot the machine gun with the next shot. Maybe someone here knows the yardage. Your statement reminds me of a fighter getting knocked out by a lucky punch. No such thing. They worked for it and earned it.

In plain text english, I've shot way more and way further than you ever will and you don't have a P H U- C- K-I-N _G clue on this one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
So, the Earth's rotation is a factor that needs to be calculated for at that range???

In 5-10 seconds, depending on the load and distance, the earth WILL rotate enough to make a difference.

Just think of the MOA factor at 3700 yards... MOA at 1000 is about 10 inches.... 37 inches at that distance. Vitals not more than 12 inches wide if that really... for perfect dope and perfect hold which is not possible, you have to day in and day out be shooting 1/3 MOA groups....

Yep, damn good swag but still a lucky shot. Regardless of what ding has to say. Needless to say the person he is talking about in his quote I met and spoke with and have shot a fair amount with his son.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A tip of the old toque to him. That's one hell of a shot from a true craftsman.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In 5-10 seconds, depending on the load and distance, the earth WILL rotate enough to make a difference.

Just think of the MOA factor at 3700 yards... MOA at 1000 is about 10 inches.... 37 inches at that distance. Vitals not more than 12 inches wide if that really... for perfect dope and perfect hold which is not possible, you have to day in and day out be shooting 1/3 MOA groups....

Yep, damn good swag but still a lucky shot. Regardless of what ding has to say. Needless to say the person he is talking about in his quote I met and spoke with and have shot a fair amount with his son.....

Jeff do you follow the KO2M matches? They start on the 27th I believe. Those guys are doing some amazing shooting at extreme long ranges...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This goes back a ways,.........and IIRC, Gale McMillan is not actively involved with the current McMillan Tac 50 production,....don't quote me, on that.
I HAVE heard on the Moccasin telegraph that the Raufoss is THE preferred, indeed recommended round for the Canadian Snipers.
'Twas my extreme honor and pleasure to shoot the old DCMR matches at the Old Sarcee Barracks, with the "Princess Pats" when they were stationed there,....late 70's.

The science and application of serious martial rifle shooting seemed to be the very heart and soul of that outfit, from what I saw.
Damned fine men, and a hoot to hoist a couple with after an 88 rounder, or a LEG match,.......after some very basic paperwork, and in possession of one's then pretty NEW "FAC" ( firearms acquisition certificate ) one could show up at the range armory, and for a nominal fee, sign out an FN, and 100 rounds 7.62 X51,.....there were as well some Palma style SMLEs that a die hard bolt gun loonie could glom onto and shoot,......and a coupla' those older boys could really kick azz with em'
Seems like only yesterday,......all of 40+ years ago, now.
How quickly it all changed, eh ?

Anyhoo,......safe bet that the fellow was shooting Raufoss,.....

GTC

Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Raufoss .50BMG
Date: 14 Jul 1997 08:11:43 -0400

Brian Glusing wrote:

# Hi Scott,
#
# I think I can give you the information you're looking for. Raufuss
# ammunition is Swedish if I remember correctly. It's a .50BMG round,
# made with an explosive filler (C-4 I think, but don't quote me). It was
# designed to bring the effectiveness of .50 machineguns up to 20mm
# standards to avoid having to buy a whole new weapon.
#
# I talked to an Army E.O.D. NCO about 1 1/2 years ago at Ft. Dix, NJ.
# He said that he had traded for some Raufuss ammo (.50 bmg) from some
# NATO troopie while deployed to Bosnia. His findings? The stuff was
# EXTREMELY accurate.
He loved it. His team was using Barrett M82's with
# Leupold Mk4 M3 scopes to detonate mines. He said making a shot on a 6"
# mine from a couple hundred years with the stuff was like shooting fish
# in a barrel. He loved everything about it, except that he couldn't
# legally bring any back to the US with him.
#
# He also said that he found a 7.62x39 version of the same thing but,
# wasn't terribly impressed. I don't recall how accurate he said it was,
# but it just couldn't carry enough explosive content in a 123 grain
# projectile to do anything devastating. He said hits on a 1/4 plate
# penetrated, but that he had tried 7.62x39 armor piercing ammo that had
# done the same.
#
# I have an article about it somewhere in my incredibly messy
# apartment, and if I can find it in the next couple days, I'll post the
# volume number and title so you can get it. Hope this helps.
#
# #
# # Hi folks,
# #
# # Could anybody give me some info on Raufoss ammunition for the .50BMG?
# # I remember reading something about it but forgot where and what it
# # was. If I remember right its from Europe correct?
# #
# # Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

The above story isn't just right. the Multi purpose Raufus round is of
Norwegian developed round that has been licensed to Olin to be
manufactured in this country. It is an armor piercing,incenderary,high
explosive round with a high explosive charge of RDX. It is a very
accurate round. The Navy uses it in their 50 cal sniper rifle and when
we made the rifle for them we were required to test each gun with it.
At a cost of $7.50 each we burned up a lot of your tax dollars. The
Santa Barbara head stamp had a problem in that some of the cores would
not rotate with the Jacket and you would get an air burst at about 50
yards that would get your attention.

Link: http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/raufoss.html

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/22/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well Done Canadians!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Lucky? Hell, incredibly lucky! Not demeaning the obvious skill, 1 moa at 4000 yards = 40'. If he was zeroed at 1000 yards he needed up 203 moa. !

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Jeff do you follow the KO2M matches? They start on the 27th I believe. Those guys are doing some amazing shooting at extreme long ranges...

Had not heard of them but will have to google if i can remember on Friday a bit... a bit busy here this evening.

Thanks for the heads up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

From the AP newsarticle:

A Canadian sniper has beat the record for the longest confirmed kill in military history....
This smashed the last record set by a Briton Craig Harrison, who killed a Taliban soldier with a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle at a range of 8,120 feet(1.54 miles)...

Such sniper records that are revealed to the general public do not take into account sniper achievements conducted during clandestine
ultra sensitive off the record operations...ie; illegal ops and sniper records the public will never be told about.

Certain people I spoke with about 2009 Harrison record didn't think it was anything new or ground breaking as far as actual '"longest shot''
is concerned. but in the narrow category of permissibly released confirmed sniper kills go, it did set a record.

I remember some naive clown who told me how much he knew about the secret ops of spec.forces because he read books written by
X SAS and X SEAL members....LOL..... the same kind of person that would automatically believe that the limited allowable sniper kill
data released to the public must be representative of the longest shot record in sniper history.....yeh right... whistle

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So not only the rotation of the earth but also its curvature at that range, I would think. 2.14 miles is over half the distance to the horizon so there would have to be some curvature in there also. Try running a ballistics program on that one. Would also be interesting to know more info about the bullet and its velocity.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It could be that the terrain played a role in this shot. If he was shooting from an elevated position and shooting across a valley, that could change certain parameters. Regardless, being able to hit a target the size of a small school but at that distance would be something I would brag about...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was his nameTrystan and was he shooting a Tikka?

Last edited by huntsonora; 06/22/17.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
539 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.