Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Rost495: Yes indeed at that range the earths rotation IS a factor!
So much so that if he were shooting north to south or south to north the rotation factor would be significant!
BUT... if he were shooting east to west the earths rotation would be much much less of a factor.
ALL the angles of direction in between need "professional help".
"They" (ultra-long range shooters) have computers to figure the earths rotation "hold into" factors.
Personally I wouldhave called in for a cluster bomb for that pphuckk!
Knowing "I" could not have hit the city block he was in with any of the equipment/experience I have - let alone kill the cretin.
I will say though - good shot, amazing shot, way to dope the winds, if there's lead in the air there's hope and keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Rooster7
That is simply mind boggling when you consider every single factor that had to go right in order to make that shot

which makes it a lucky shot. Plain and simple. But it was a damn educated lucky shot at that.

There was a sniper who shot a very long ways to kill a guy on a machine gun. A new guy stepped up. Took him out with the next shot and shot the machine gun with the next shot. Maybe someone here knows the yardage. Your statement reminds me of a fighter getting knocked out by a lucky punch. No such thing. They worked for it and earned it.

In plain text english, I've shot way more and way further than you ever will and you don't have a P H U- C- K-I-N _G clue on this one.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess you didn't understand. I was speaking about the shooters, not myself.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I could hit the city block easily no doubt in my mind. Even the building he might have been in. Beyond that I"m rusty... and I'm always favorable to a spotter round off the side or two...

Rotation is a factor obviously, anyone that shoots much distance realizes that. And the direction too....you are right there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
I guess you didn't understand. I was speaking about the shooters, not myself.

No, I'm not dense, I got it. It WAS lucky... you are trying to play it off that he could do that every day, day in and out... it was lucky. The shooter would admit that in a heartbeat, I know I would.

If you read my post I didn't say the shooter and spotter were stupid, and it was blind luck, I said it was educated luck. SWAG is the term....

But then again an AL muzzle break(thats intended) and someone that can't even understand Audette, I expect nothing less.

I've seen these troopers out on the range. Money. No sense. There is a TV commercial about that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
OSU.....Thanks for the clarification on horizon distance versus elevation. Only time I can see 2.9 mi. is on Lake Ontario, from shore or small boats,not up high (it's almost 60 miles across to Canada from my location and close to 200 miles long so there's lots of open space). Used to work with some ex-navy guys who knew the horizon distance based on the elevation of the bridge of their ship. Can't recall how far they could see but I remembered that getting a bit elevated sure puts the horizon further out there. Still can't imagine shooting 2.14 mi. even with that TAC 50 .. That had to look damn near like shooting at the horizon, or close to it...... God bless those guys and I hope they can pull off some more shots like that.

There is a rough formula I heard on the radio. You multiply the hight where you are in feet by 1.5. The square root of that gives you miles to the horizon.

Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No, I'm not dense, I got it. It WAS lucky...

Ya seem pissed that somebody shot farther than 600 yards, and hit the bull.

Cause we all know, 600 is the maximum that skill comes inta play.

As we've been constantly reminded.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
me pissed? Not at all. Luck was involved.

How far are you an expert at ? LOL.

I consider myself a tad bit above average, at least some years ago... aint no way I'd pass that one off as pure skill any day of the rest of my life

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, I'm willin to bet I'm as much an expert as you are, Lord high marksman, at shootin over 2 miles.

I wasn't there, but it don't sound like he walked it in.

He took the shot, to the best of his ability, to save his fellow soldiers.

And he made it.

Dude should be drinkin for free the rest of his life.

And then, there's small, ankle-bitin, 600 yard shooters that gotta call luck on his effort.

I'm a believer in therapy for the infirm. If it helps you feel better, it's all yours.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
This is great news!!! I hope our side continues to pour on the misery.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now we all know if this had been an American, it would have been standard practise. grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Luck was certainly involved. Even if he and his spotter were able to precisely take into account all the known variables at the instant of the shot and come up with a definitive hold for elevation and windage, once that trigger is pulled, the wind would have to remain constant in velocity and direction for those 2 miles and for the duration of the flight time. I was a competitive benchrest shooter and I have missed many times by getting caught in a sudden wind gust or shift and I wasn't shooting anywhere near 2 miles. With wind flags out over much of the distance at a range, it is not unusual to see some flags going one direction and other flags just yards away, facing in a completely different direction. Such an unseen condition as that in the field would throw off a shot even at distances much less than the 2 miles these guys were shooting. That doesn't take anything away from the shot or the skill of the shooter. But it was for certain a S.W.A.G. shot. Hey, if you don't try a shot like that, you'll never make it. I'm happy for him and glad he took and made the shot.

Last edited by cooper57m; 06/23/17.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
target was contemplatng his virgins, and only his hand was moving...

And yeah, there was a tad of luck involved- which tends to accrue to those who do their homework.

Last edited by las; 06/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Well, I'm willin to bet I'm as much an expert as you are, Lord high marksman, at shootin over 2 miles.

I wasn't there, but it don't sound like he walked it in.

He took the shot, to the best of his ability, to save his fellow soldiers.

And he made it.

Dude should be drinkin for free the rest of his life.

And then, there's small, ankle-bitin, 600 yard shooters that gotta call luck on his effort.

I'm a believer in therapy for the infirm. If it helps you feel better, it's all yours.

I"m glad you are happy.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Wilkeshunter: I share your appreciation for this bit of good news in the ongoing (everlasting?) war against radical muslim terrorists.
Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to the particular bullet (projectile) that the Sniper was using?
I am just interested in doing a little more time of flight and trajectory "figgerin".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luck was involved.

I agree. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Wilkeshunter: I share your appreciation for this bit of good news in the ongoing (everlasting?) war against radical muslim terrorists.
Does anyone know or have an educated guess as to the particular bullet (projectile) that the Sniper was using?
I am just interested in doing a little more time of flight and trajectory "figgerin".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've seen someone claim it was an Amax but haven't seen the source, the NRA had a blurp on Facebook yesterday and stated a Raufoss was used.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I didn't know BigStick was in the Canadian Army...good shooting Stumpy!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
An article in today's (6/23/17) Washington Post discusses the incident. Entitled "How Canada’s Small Military Produced Deadly, Record-breaking Snipers", it is an interesting article.

see: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...57b4716&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
AJ300MAG & Djs: Thanks for the additional info and link.
I am headed to the linked article now.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.