Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well results posted today and after thinking an elk tag was a long shot but a deer was a better bet, WYGFD said other wise. I drew an elk tag but no deer tag. I'll take it. To bad I have been spending time on a deer load...and I need to get off the couch the rest of summer.

Who else got lucky...with the Wyo draw?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't say I got lucky, i was really hoping for an area 7 type 1 this year, but wound up drawing a type 4 and a type 6 instead. I also didn't draw a low probability Muley tag I put in for, but that was expected. Luckily deer area 64 overlaps much of elk area 7 so I can just get a general deer tag and keep my eye open for either in September.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Drew lots, no doe mulie tag for me, and no special unit buck for the wife.. We can both pick up generals later.. I will, doubt she does..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wife and I got the 34-1 tags we wanted, Maybe this year I can only elk hunt one day instead of 3.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We drew region J deer tags.we hunt in area 64. We might put in for area 7 elk tags next year.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I didn't get the deer tag I wanted, but I got the elk and antelope tags.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
General hunts and my 3rd choice antelope tag for me...again...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son and I drew buck antelope but no antlerless. Son-in-law and Granddaughter both drew buck antelope and two antlerless tags. It will be my Granddaughters first out of state hunt and her first not using a blind for deer on their home place. Lots to learn there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Gen elk tag here.

1Minute
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to here I may run into to a Campfire friends in the field. Now I just need to narrow which rifles to take. I always take just in case I drop a rifle and don't trust the scopes zero. And get of the couch and and get some miles walked/hiked.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Blueranger,
The wife and I drew a late season, any Elk in Area 64. Struck out on everything else! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by memtb
Blueranger,
The wife and I drew a late season, any Elk in Area 64. Struck out on everything else! memtb

Congrats, Todd! That should be a great hunt. I drew a 78 antelope doe tag, so I will be up to visit this fall. I may try for another left-over doe in your area.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Sid, We got lucky!!! Congrats on your "goat" tag! I had to look to see where 78 was. Stop by the house.... We won't be antelope hunting! frown memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Gen tag, plus a couple of cow tags.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I have unit 6 tag. This includes Medicine Bow NF, a ton of roads and I'm assuming everyone will hit it hard and drive elk to private. When I put in for this tag I was and still am focused on clumps of BLM and state within the unit. However, I went to drive these areas this weekend and every perceivable road to the public lands I want to hunt is marked as private roads, no trespassing, etc. Some of these roads actually have to be county road right? And ranchers are just trying to keep people away right? First elk tag in Wy and have only lived here 3 years. How the heck do you deal with this...do you just ignore what should be great elk habitat on public land cuz it surrounded by private?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blueranger
So I have unit 6 tag. This includes Medicine Bow NF, a ton of roads and I'm assuming everyone will hit it hard and drive elk to private. When I put in for this tag I was and still am focused on clumps of BLM and state within the unit. However, I went to drive these areas this weekend and every perceivable road to the public lands I want to hunt is marked as private roads, no trespassing, etc. Some of these roads actually have to be county road right? And ranchers are just trying to keep people away right? First elk tag in Wy and have only lived here 3 years. How the heck do you deal with this...do you just ignore what should be great elk habitat on public land cuz it surrounded by private?

Often there is access through public land to reach those semi-isolated parcels of public land. And generally we have to walk. Which is a good thing..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blueranger

That is part of the homework that has to be done prior to applying. Most of those roads are probably private. If it is not maintained by the county, then they are allowed to shut off the access. This is not good, but it is the way the law is written in Wyoming. There are lots of nice areas that landowners have locked access to and in many instances, have leased the rights to access, to outfitters. It makes some areas pretty tough.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's just it, I looked at maps before applying, and assumed when a road was identified as Co Rd XX, that it would have public access. Apparently there are county roads that the counties only maintain portions of the road, allowing for private maintenance (and apparently ownership) of other portions of that same county road...who does that? Guess its time to find a helicopter pilot and fly in to public lands, still cheaper than paying the $5000 per person per day trespass fees some ranchers want. It is funny how different regions of the country view public lands, roads & access, and courtesy/responsibility to your neighbor/fellow hunter. Time hunt the small pockets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Wife and I got the 34-1 tags we wanted, Maybe this year I can only elk hunt one day instead of 3.........

Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Gen tag, plus a couple of cow tags.

Good luck guys, I hope to make it out there again next year!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.