-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree whole heartedly with those advocating taking BOTH particularly if you are traveling a distance to CO. Stuff happens, or can, on any hunt.
I'm one of the few who had a 700 extractor break in two on extracting a case after a shot at a big bull; it took me out of the hunt.

Another time I slipped and fell with a rifle and missed another big bull at 300+ yards before finding my scope was knocked a whole foot off of the previous POI at a hundred yards. I hesitated to check zero while in the area but found out after the would-have-been kill by re-zeroing.

So work 'em both up and have a back-up.

GB1

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm partial to the 06. But I like to carry my tikka because its light.
As others have said bring both.
And once again go with better bullet than the sst.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd pick the lightest of the two.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd take the Kimber '06 if it were me.

God Bless America!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing ever replaces Confidence.

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
"First elk hunt in NW Colorado- was told shots would more than likely be less than 350 yds......so, which one to take? Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?"

Yeah,,, probably overthinking.

Either is fine.

But I'd prefer the Kimber for 2 reasons.

#1 I think much higher of the Kimber action than the Remington action, and it is statistically a lot less likely to have need of repair.
Murphy's' Law applies in elk camp too ya know...

#2 I like a heavier bullet for elk if I can get it. A .264" 140 gr Nosler Partition or accubond is just fine, but in the 30 cal I can fire a heavier bullet and get full penetration every time. When you shoot elk in the timber they should bleed a lot. Sometimes they can be a bit of a problem to find without a good blood trail if they run 20-40 years after the shot, which they will many times, even when hit with a bigger rifle.
I have hunting elk for over 40 years, and this year I intend to try to kill my bull with an iron sighted 6.5X54 Mannlicher. But this is your first hunt and you'll be learning as you go. So an exit wound will be a very welcome thing if your elk doesn't simply drop.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's a story from last year on another board:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=14316985#post14316985

The hunter used a 143 ELD-X from a .264 Win Mag, MV 3125.

It's about where you shoot them.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
J
I took a 1000 lb bull with a 6.5 swede and a 130 grain partition. I couldn't get my hands on the 140's. Loaded it to 2830 FPS. The partition mushroomed perfectly and stopped just under the skin. They do their job if you do your part. the shot was 440 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where did you find a 6.5mm partition weighing 130gr. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 125 gr. partitions! 👍🏼

Retired and loving it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just use the obsolete 30-06.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by skywalker
I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy.
Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?
Thanks!
Shot my first Bull with 140 gr. Partitions out of a 7mm REM MAG at 375 yds. over 20 years ago.

Perfect broadside Boiler room hit on the first shot. He just stood there. (Actually he just wanted me to be able to shoot my rifle more, so I kindly obliged him)

There were several bulls and many cows, about 20-25 total. Pappa of the clan had 140 grains of lead in him and didn't bolt, so the family stayed put. Cow steps forward a few steps and stops with the tip of her nose just right behind his shoulder. My hunting pardner says, "Don't hit that cow". Boom. Second Partition in the Boiler room. (I guarantee you her nose hairs felt the hot lead go by)

Bull takes a few steps and stops. Cow steps forward out of the way. Boom. Third Partition in the Boiler room. Herd starting to move around. Pappa walks...turns away and puts his backside to me. Stops. (Hunting pardner tells me to hold on, he thinks I've busted him enough as I'm about to put one in the back of his neck). Pappa starts doing the teeter Breakdance. Pappa 6X6 Elk drops dead.

Hunting pardner says, "Now the work starts" as it started to snow.

Yeah, 140's will do the job. His CNS was just digesting the signals a little longer than normal.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 07/03/17.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I enjoy my 300 WSM as it will drive 165's at 3050 fps with predictable regularity. A 30-06 can do the same, I just don't own one.

While I am not opposed to 150's at all for Elk the WSM prefers 165's.

So, the point is, I'd rather engage such a sizeable critter with a 30 caliber.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I agree whole heartedly with those advocating taking BOTH particularly if you are traveling a distance to CO. Stuff happens, or can, on any hunt.
I'm one of the few who had a 700 extractor break in two on extracting a case after a shot at a big bull; it took me out of the hunt.

Another time I slipped and fell with a rifle and missed another big bull at 300+ yards before finding my scope was knocked a whole foot off of the previous POI at a hundred yards. I hesitated to check zero while in the area but found out after the would-have-been kill by re-zeroing.

You're one of the few that actually admit you've had an extractor failure with the rem 700. After having many extractor problems (at the range) with remington 700's and 722's, I finally just gave up on them. Just not my cup of tea for a real hunting rifle... Of the rifles mentioned, I'd take both, just in case something happens to either rifle. Nice to have a spare when hunting far from home...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skywalker
So throwing this out to the 24hr brain trust- I have a Kampfeld Custom (700 action I supplied) 6.5x284 topped with a Leupold vx3i (4.5-14x40). I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy. I also have a Kimber 8400 30-06 topped with a Swaro Z3 (3-10x42) that shoots 165 gr SST very well (just some recoil here). Best to shoot? 6.5x284 by far easier to handle, little to no recoil. Most kills with? Kimber has laid down several deer.

First elk hunt in NW Colorado- was told shots would more than likely be less than 350 yds......so, which one to take? Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?

Thanks!

Ditch the SST and use partitions Kimber.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What with all the current 6.5 craze, I suppose telling you that proper elk cartridges start with a .270 loaded with heavy bullets would amount to blasphemy and a trip to the town square to be burned at the stake. My first choice would be the .30-06 loaded with most any 180 gr lead core bullet with a good BC or a 165 or 168 gr TTSX. Always take a backup rifle that far from home.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

You're one of the few that actually admit you've had an extractor failure with the rem 700. After having many extractor problems (at the range) with remington 700's and 722's, I finally just gave up on them. Just not my cup of tea for a real hunting rifle... Of the rifles mentioned, I'd take both, just in case something happens to either rifle. Nice to have a spare when hunting far from home...

I used my local range almost weekly back in OZ and mixed with the bench rest boys. It was not an uncommon comment from them that many Remington extractors are actually broken during installation whereby the pin was actually holding the 2 broken pieces together. If true, this could explain why the observation is that it broke with use.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used the 140 gr. Partitions out of a 7mm-08 and they worked fine on elk.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by GregW
Take the 6.5 with the Partition...

Absolutely. I wouldn't use SST's if they were free.

laugh

LMAO. So you don't like them eh?

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.