Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: Early this year I bought a Browning T-Bolt Varmint Model Rifle in 22 Magnum.
I found a nifty Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 variable with adjustable objective) and mounted it on the Rifle.
I easily acquire sight picture with this 42 M/M objective mounted as low as I could.
The scope/Rifle has been to the range several times and on 8 or 10 day long Varmint Hunts so far.
I am just pleased as punch with this set-up.
I have several other Weaver V-16's on rimfire Rifles and they have all performed flawlessly and reliably.
The image at ALL ranges is VERY clear - once the adjustable objective is set.
On rare occasions these Weaver V-16's can be found used (and in good condition) for just at or above $200.00.
Good luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Varmintguy...

Excellent recommendation on the Weaver Classic V16.
Unless they have changed mfgs, Weaver was sourcing them from LOW (Light Optical Works) of Japan.

I have owned them in the past and will be buying another very soon for my Rem 700 HB in 22-250.

Wonderfull scopes for the $$ and for the same power range a fellow would gave to spend well over $500 to beat them. They run around $250 to $300 many places and are a solid value.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A Sightron 3x9x32mm with fine crosshairs is working nicely on mine and they are only about a hundred bucks from Midway.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jk16: I agree completely on the value for dollars spent for these Weaver V-16's!
I began recommending these scopes to fellow Colony Varmint Hunters 20 years ago and I am sure at least 10 of my friends have 14 to 18 of these scopes today.
To date not one problem with any that I have heard of.
All my friends have commented on how well the V-16's "track" - in other words you move the adjustments and the bullet moves the intended amount!
Right away!
I just checked my on-line gun inventory and I have 6 (six) of these Weaver V-16's along with 1 (one) Weaver V-24 and several Weaver KT-15's (straight 15 power).
I have been MORE than happy with all of them - but in full disclosure they are all on Colony Varmint Rifles and none have seen much inclement weather at all.
They do all hold zero with much travel bouncing in trucks and some on ATV's.
I am a "Leupold" kind of guy and they are my "go to" scopes for Big Game Hunting and most of my Varmint Rifles but when I see a Weaver V-16 (or similar Weavers) on the used market I don't hesitate.
Good for the Weaver folks (and the LOW folks also).
You are also correct on the price comparisons - a Leupold 4.5x14 with adjustable objective would be twice the cost of a Weaver V-16 (used to used and new to new comparisons).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jk16: I agree completely on the value for dollars spent for these Weaver V-16's!
I began recommending these scopes to fellow Colony Varmint Hunters 20 years ago and I am sure at least 10 of my friends have 14 to 18 of these scopes today.
To date not one problem with any that I have heard of.
All my friends have commented on how well the V-16's "track" - in other words you move the adjustments and the bullet moves the intended amount!
Right away!
I just checked my on-line gun inventory and I have 6 (six) of these Weaver V-16's along with 1 (one) Weaver V-24 and several Weaver KT-15's (straight 15 power).
I have been MORE than happy with all of them - but in full disclosure they are all on Colony Varmint Rifles and none have seen much inclement weather at all.
They do all hold zero with much travel bouncing in trucks and some on ATV's.
I am a "Leupold" kind of guy and they are my "go to" scopes for Big Game Hunting and most of my Varmint Rifles but when I see a Weaver V-16 (or similar Weavers) on the used market I don't hesitate.
Good for the Weaver folks (and the LOW folks also).
You are also correct on the price comparisons - a Leupold 4.5x14 with adjustable objective would be twice the cost of a Weaver V-16 (used to used and new to new comparisons).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I like V16s too and have several of them in service on rifles from 17HM2 to 260, but the Marlin 983 has a sporter weight/contour barrel and the V16 seems a little large, such that the package's feng shui would be out of balance.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas had Vortex Diamondback HP's on sale ~$200

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: I agree that it would have to be a bit of a compromise of aesthetics, balance and all things classic to attach the V-16 to a Model 983.
I am VERY mindful of these type things that is why I have never owned or even considered buying a 50m/m objective lens type scope.
They just don't look right to me and the smaller objective lenses have done everything I need done and done so for the last 55+ years.
Still if one wants to maximize the versatility and effectiveness of the 22 Magnum at the range and afield "one" might allow for the somewhat/slightly oversize scope to obtain that end.
Did Leupold ever make a 4x12 compact variable scope?
It would be very expensive if they did I am guessing?
Again I am supremely happy (both performance wise and aesthetically!) with the Weaver V-16 I have on my Browning T-Bolt Varmint weight Rifle and its not that much "larger" than the 983.
Best of luck to the original poster with whichever scope he chooses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have installed one of my V16s on my #1 tree squirrel rifle, a Marlin 917M2S in 17 HM2, that I've installed in a Boyds laminated Rimfire Hunter style stock. The more robust barrel and stock allow the scope to be in balance better than if it had been installed on a rimfire rifle with a physically smaller barrel and/or stock. Since my mountain climbing days are well behind me and the majority of my hunting opportunities are within two miles of a vehicle, so I can easily tolerate a little extra weight if it comes in a better balanced package.

I have a couple other V16s installed on RAR-Ps in 204 and 223 that have been restocked with Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks and although the stock added a full pound to the package, the improvement in balance and fit far outweighed the added weight for my applications.

I wish that I had bought a few more V16s when Natchez had them on sale for between $210 and $220 back in January 2015.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks everyone. There have been many good responses to my post, and I appreciate it.
Your enthusiasm and class make this an excellent forum.

For my part I'm going to hold off and save up a bit.
For now I'll throw something on it just to get to the range and try it.
The better it shoots, the better glass it will get.

Thanks again.
Ill try to post a pic in the near future. It is a handsome American rifle.

Last edited by kragman1; 06/22/17.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 673, 11 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.