Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Has anyone tried putting an adjustable gas block on this model to help reduce recoil and also muzzle rise? and if so which one did you go with? Thanks!

ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this the rifle model with a fixed front sight?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
This is my first ar but, I think it's called the A2 style held on with two pins that have to be driven out in order to remove it to get at the gas block. Thanks!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You'll have to measure the diameter of the barrel at the gas block. They're pretty standard. Here is a review of one adjustable gas block:

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/06/syrac-ordnance-adjustable-ar15-gas.html

If you opt for that one it's available from various sources.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Syrac is no longer available that I know of & I have tried hard to find them recently.

Best of the currently available adjustable gas blocks, IMO, is the SLR & it's adjustable from the front.

Not cheap at around $100 - $120 depending on when & where you buy, but works very well.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P5200

Check your PM's

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best of the currently available adjustable gas blocks, IMO, is the SLR & it's adjustable from the front.

I agree. I put one on my .458 Socom,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by p5200
Has anyone tried putting an adjustable gas block on this model to help reduce recoil and also muzzle rise? and if so which one did you go with? Thanks!

What exactly are you wanting to accomplish? An adjustable gas block isn't going to fix your muzzle rise problem.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Syrac is no longer available that I know of & I have tried hard to find them recently.

Not cheap at around $100 - $120 depending on when & where you buy, but works very well.

MM

You're right. I hadn't kept up.

Superlative seems to still be around:

https://suparms.com/

Retired cat herder.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm amazed how many people buy into the marketing of the Superlative bleed-off gas block.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear the Syrac is no longer available; that was my favorite. JP Enterprises has several different models that look like they would be worth a try. Not quite as spendy as the SLR.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'm amazed how many people buy into the marketing of the Superlative bleed-off gas block.

grin Yea-ah

MM

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One report I saw indicated Superlative manufactured the Syrac. I wouldn't know about that but the only adjustable I have at present is a Syrac.

What is the concern about a bleed-off type gas block? It seems that would be similar to a FAL.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m

What is the concern about a bleed-off type gas block? It seems that would be similar to a FAL.

I don't have any bleed of types & I don't expect to either; why would I want all that dirty gas & HEAT going into the inside of my handguard if I have the choice of not sending it there?

MM

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Understood.

Retired cat herder.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by g5m

It's not a concern so much as just a dumb way to do it. Bleeding off gas that would otherwise propel the bullet is unnecessary and inefficient, and as for bleeding off gas after the bullet has left - why bother. Just restrict it at the gas block and you have all the same advantages. Too much marketing in that one, not enough understanding of how the system really works. IMO

To the OP's question of what gas block to use, I've settled on the Seekins lately. (There were some cheaper no-name versions of the same design available for a while, but no longer.) The Seekins is basic but does a good job of metering gas, and is side adjustable. It can be had for $50-$60.

The front adjustable gas blocks are a real pain with a lot of handguards, unless the gas block is right at the end of the handguard; you have to use a special long hex wrench to access the adjustment, and if you lose that wrench, you'll be taking the handguard off to adjust it. Even with the long wrench, you generally can't turn more than ~3/4 turn at a time because the barrel is in the way. The side adjustable models on the other hand, might require a small clearance hole drilled or machined in the handguard, but once that's done the adjustment can be accessed with a regular hex wrench, and turned in full revolutions.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/23/17.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks.

I've just shot FAL's for 40+ years and never found that system to be a problem.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The front adjustable gas blocks are a real pain with a lot of handguards, unless the gas block is right at the end of the handguard; you have to use a special long hex wrench to access the adjustment, and if you lose that wrench, you'll be taking the handguard off to adjust it. Even with the long wrench, you generally can't turn more than ~3/4 turn at a time because the barrel is in the way.

These solve the problem quite nicely in the appropriate length with no fuss, no muss.

Ball End Hex Driver

They are also available from SLR as well........................

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What MM said.

I have a couple of the 2mm ball-end for the SLR on my .458, one in my shop toolbox and one in the range box.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

The front adjustable gas blocks are a real pain with a lot of handguards, unless the gas block is right at the end of the handguard; you have to use a special long hex wrench to access the adjustment, and if you lose that wrench, you'll be taking the handguard off to adjust it. Even with the long wrench, you generally can't turn more than ~3/4 turn at a time because the barrel is in the way.

These solve the problem quite nicely in the appropriate length with no fuss, no muss.

Ball End Hex Driver

They are also available from SLR as well........................

MM

I'm sure they do. But I've already got hex keys all over the place, and don't need to buy more tools to adjust a poorly designed gas block. I'd rather just buy a side adjustable to start with; there are no downsides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.