Print Thread
Hop To
J
JessG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Since I got no answers in the Hunting Rifle Forum.
As the title says, I am looking for a smith to shorten the Stock on a Kimber Montana. Any Recommendations?

Thanks,

Jess G

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag - I need an 84L and a Talkeetna shortened myself.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cut them to the desired length after taping the area to be cut with masking tape. I always used a mitre saw or table saw. Make sure the cut is square, block or disk sand as needed to get it square. Rough up the front side of your new Decelerator pad, don't kid yourself they are the best and easiest to work with. Glue pad in place with Loctite 416, fast setting superglue type gel. When glue is dried tape the stock off and grind the pad using a disk or belt sander. I know that the thin layer of fiber glass doesn't seem like much to glue to but I've done hundreds of glass stocks this way and never had one come off. Don't cheap out on the glue or use cheap 5minute epoxy, they will fall off then seen it happen more than once.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Cut them to the desired length after taping the area to be cut with masking tape. I always used a mitre saw or table saw. Make sure the cut is square, block or disk sand as needed to get it square. Rough up the front side of your new Decelerator pad, don't kid yourself they are the best and easiest to work with. Glue pad in place with Loctite 416, fast setting superglue type gel. When glue is dried tape the stock off and grind the pad using a disk or belt sander. I know that the thin layer of fiber glass doesn't seem like much to glue to but I've done hundreds of glass stocks this way and never had one come off. Don't cheap out on the glue or use cheap 5minute epoxy, they will fall off then seen it happen more than once.

Got any pictures of what one looks like cut? I thought about cutting one down for my kids. My thought was to glue a smaller base to the recoil pad that would perfectly fit inside the hollow stock giving a larger gluing surface. I was concerned though because I didn't know what one looked like inside. Are they hollow inside enough that my plan would work?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They are a fiberglass shell about 1/16" thick with a foam core if I remember correctly. You'd need to hollow out some foam but thats no big deal.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.