Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by CCCC
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Our is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

As an aside, what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

It would not be the first time the navy didn't quite think it through....lol
https://youtu.be/_VHXRYXzEVU

That's just some horsechit FAKE news,....and has been known as such for a LONG time.

"lol ?"

no,....just phoucin' STUPID.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by kellory
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Our is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

As an aside, what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

It would not be the first time the navy didn't quite think it through....lol
https://youtu.be/_VHXRYXzEVU

That's just some horsechit FAKE news,....and has been known as such for a LONG time.

"lol ?"

no,....just phoucin' STUPID.

GTC

You're right, I didn't research it. Looks like it was making the rounds since 1996. And lol (laugh out loud) it is funny.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Get me straight on this. The "U" turn made was 25 minutes before the collision?

Looking at the track makes me think something went haywire in the guidance system. If you are below decks and a ship this size turns it is very likely you would not feel it, especially if you are asleep.

You would feel the radical course changes such as the plot indicated, if you were paying attention at all. A ship heels significantly in a tight turn. There were people on the MV, whose jobs were to pay attention. Even on auto pilot, there is an at sea watch set. If they didn't feel the turns, they probably felt the change in the ride, even on a large vessel. However, nothing that happened on the MV should have any impact on what happened aboard the Fitz. That ship is capable of going anywhere in the world and protecting itself from any kind of threat, and it's expected to...No excuses! Forget what happened on the MV, the issue is what happened aboard Fitz.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobmar

Looking at the track makes me think something went haywire in the guidance system. If you are below decks and a ship this size turns it is very likely you would not feel it, especially if you are asleep.

You would feel the radical course changes such as the plot indicated, if you were paying attention at all. A ship heels significantly in a tight turn. There were people on the MV, whose jobs were to pay attention. Even on auto pilot, there is an at sea watch set. If they didn't feel the turns, they probably felt the change in the ride, even on a large vessel. However, nothing that happened on the MV should have any impact on what happened aboard the Fitz. That ship is capable of going anywhere in the world and protecting itself from any kind of threat, and it's expected to...No excuses! Forget what happened on the MV, the issue is what happened aboard Fitz.

While in complete agreement with all you've written there, I'll respectfully state that I'm in agreement with what Jorge wrote days ago, and am not "forgetting" a damned thing about that MV until the entire crew of the thing's had VERY rigorous back round checks run on em'.
Everyone from the skipper down to the cabin boy.

Something about this whole deal has STUNK from day one,.......and still DOES.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the skipper of the Fitzgerald ever wants another sea command, he had better buy his own boat.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
The MV was foreign flagged. It also had a foreign crew. There are standards that govern crew qualifications for ships entering US ports, but this ship was in international waters. The standards are whatever the owner of the ship decides they are. A background check on the crew would likely uncover information the employer wouldn't want to know. So they don't ask.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
So, nobody onboard the freighter got a clue it was doing a 180* turn at cruising speed?

More stink to that story than anything else...

The turn came after the collision

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The first turn from the normal course was the collision.
The U turn was almost 30 minutes later.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where's the radar report and collision warning bells? Was someone on duty at night?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think something happened to the Fitz that allowed it to get hit. Just to many things that had to go wrong all at the same time for something like this to happen, unless it was deliberate.

Harry
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this app on my iPhone, it is pretty cool, I can see all the ships in the bay, know where they are going, what country they are from, destination, speed and course, it covers the whole world and the article is right, you can't believe the boat traffic in some places. Ir reports in real time.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ship-finder-lite/id324177409?mt=8

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't know about ships on the ocean, I've fished on the Great Lakes a bunch. Some of our trips are out on open water and in the shipping lanes. It's common knowledge that the freighters are running on autopilot and there's a good chance the pilot house is unoccupied. Not a big deal, they don't turn or stop on a dime...

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
All vessels are required to maintain a proper lookout.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The AIS tracking data for the Fitzgerald is something that a lot of people would like to see. Not sure if the Navy has released it (or if they will until the investigation is complete ..... and even then .... who knows??).

If you don't know what AIS is, here is some background info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

And that is why we all belonged to Naval Institute. A professional opinion well founded in experience.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

I stood bridge watch on Frigates while deploying as Detachment OIC. The Captain's standing order was to wake him if we came within 10 nm of any surface target. There was no way he was going to forfeit his career over a few hours sleep.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read what I wrote above or better yet, the link to the article. Several possible causal factors.

Thanks - I will.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
...what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

I'm more of an Army guy, not a sailor.

But, seems to me this wasn't a career builder... blush

Put another way, the Navy puts you in charge of a billion dollar piece of equipment with crew. On your watch, said billion dollar asset gets T-boned by a huge freighter in open sea, killing 7 of your assigned, major damage to your assigned asset.

Even Army thinking would conclude that was pretty bad...

Board of Inquiry should be interesting.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What gets me is that on that date the moon was 56% illumination that night. They said it was clear. Rise was at 2330 on the 16th and set was 1114 on the 17th. How can your watches not see something the size of a container ship under those conditions?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Male sailor and female sailorette were on watch. The two began screwing there on the bridge, ten minutes later got T-boned.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
491 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.