Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It still doesn't explain why the Fitzgerald didn't make an evasive move. Also is their an international frequency that the crew could have used in an attempt to contact the freighter?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Certainly makes you question the "readiness" of a destroyer that can't evade a 730 ft cargo ship. Might be more "excusable" if they were in a really tight area, but it sounds as if there was plenty of room for evasive maneuvers by the Fitzgerald.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So, nobody onboard the freighter got a clue it was doing a 180* turn at cruising speed?

More stink to that story than anything else...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Look at the freighter's apparent track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1b58yelh_c

Looks a bit odd.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm not a sailor but I noticed how high the container ship is riding. I'm sure there's a reason.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
From the article:

"Commercial ship autopilot systems normally require someone to input manually the course for the ship travel. The computer program then steers the ship by controlling the steering gear to turn the rudder.

The system also can be synchronized with an electronic chart system to allow the program to follow courses of a voyage plan."

"Private naval analyst Steffan Watkins said the course data indicates the ship was running on autopilot. "The ACX Crystal powered out of the deviation it performed at 1:30, which was likely the impact with the USS Fitzgerald, pushing it off course while trying to free itself from being hung on the bow below the waterline," Watkins told the Free Beacon.

The ship then continued to sail on for another 15 minutes, increasing speed before eventually reducing speed and turning around. "This shows the autopilot was engaged because nobody would power out of an accident with another ship and keep sailing back on course. It’s unthinkable," he added.

Watkins said the fact that the merchant ship hit something and did not radio the coast guard for almost 30 minutes also indicates no one was on the bridge at the time of the collision."

More or less what I said back on the 18th. in this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12094901/5

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

My current boss happens to be a retired Navy Commander. He said that the Fitzgerald was the give way vessel in this situation, was required to take evasive action to avoid collision.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Fitzgerald

My current boss happens to be a retired Navy Commander. He said that the Fitzgerald was the give way vessel in this situation, was required to take evasive action to avoid collision.

Yep - that's SOP in similar situations..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Fitzgerald

Good read. Check out Commander Salamanders blog also.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get me straight on this. The "U" turn made was 25 minutes before the collision?

Looking at the track makes me think something went haywire in the guidance system. If you are below decks and a ship this size turns it is very likely you would not feel it, especially if you are asleep.

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/23/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The answer I think, is somewhere in the issues the author raised:
Bridge climate (CO's leadership style)
Indecision of the OOD to take action given the verbal and visual clues been fed to him
lack of communication on the bridge.
Bottom line, if there is doubt, the Officer on watch MUST make the CO aware with sufficient time to make the call. ITS HIS SHIP AND HIS NECK.

To wit: During my last operational deployment (Enduring Freedom) in 2002 on board the JFK (CV 67), we ostensibly turned day into night, in other words almost all our flight ops were conducted after dark so during daylight hours, the CO/XO and most all Department heads slept. As the senior CDR on board and Command Duty Officer (Underway) qualified (and also as Air Officer), I volunteered to stay up and be available for the OOD should an issue arise before calling the Old Man.

We had a CH-53 inbound from the Beach (we were in the Indian Ocean right up against Pakistan with parts) when he declared an emergency about 30 minutes out. The Flight Deck was being "re-spotted" for the evening launch and although the flight deck was pretty much closed, the Landing Area (LA) was open as the E-2C Hawkeyes stayed up into daylight hours and it was about an hour out. I was in the CO's chair on the bridge and the AIr Boss was getting ready to clear the 53 and I objected. What if the 53 lands, [bleep] the bed, clobbers the LA leaving little or no time for a re-spot before the E-2 showed up? At that time E-2s had no in flight refueling and would not have enough fuel to "BINGO" to the beach. So the options were, bet on the come the 53 could land with enough time to move him out of the way, or pitch it over the side, or gamble on the E-2. First words oout of my mouth to the OOD and Flight Deck Control was "CALL THE CAPTAIN". HIS SHIP HIS CALL. Oh, the helo landed but with enough time we were able to shove it far enough to clear the "foul line" and had a "Green Deck" for the E-2. :::SIGH::: now I'm depressed.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I honestly can't think of anything more depending than being the captain of a ship.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Fitzgerald

That certainly is an excellent article.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Ours is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

As an aside, what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read what I wrote above or better yet, the link to the article. Several possible causal factors.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MinnKota, cool, I have Auto pilot too

1/504 PIR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Our is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

It would not be the first time the navy didn't quite think it through....lol
https://youtu.be/_VHXRYXzEVU

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: Bizarre course of the freighter leading up to the collision with U-turns, circles, stops, back-ups and numerous cousre changes!
WTF!
Still this collision should NEVER have happened.
Massive negligence on the parts of both ship commanders/pilots!
Thankfully more people were not killed.
Puzzling how this could even possibly have occurred but it DID!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Read what I wrote above or better yet, the link to the article. Several possible causal factors.

Pretty much what my boss said. You've got two independant watches onboard a ship. They BOTH fűucked up.

Something about too much partying at the last port...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Our is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

That's just some horsechit FAKE news,....and has been known as such for a LONG time.

"lol ?"

no,....just phoucin' STUPID.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by kellory

That's just some horsechit FAKE news,....and has been known as such for a LONG time.

"lol ?"

no,....just phoucin' STUPID.

GTC

You're right, I didn't research it. Looks like it was making the rounds since 1996. And lol (laugh out loud) it is funny.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Looking at the track makes me think something went haywire in the guidance system. If you are below decks and a ship this size turns it is very likely you would not feel it, especially if you are asleep.

You would feel the radical course changes such as the plot indicated, if you were paying attention at all. A ship heels significantly in a tight turn. There were people on the MV, whose jobs were to pay attention. Even on auto pilot, there is an at sea watch set. If they didn't feel the turns, they probably felt the change in the ride, even on a large vessel. However, nothing that happened on the MV should have any impact on what happened aboard the Fitz. That ship is capable of going anywhere in the world and protecting itself from any kind of threat, and it's expected to...No excuses! Forget what happened on the MV, the issue is what happened aboard Fitz.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobmar

You would feel the radical course changes such as the plot indicated, if you were paying attention at all. A ship heels significantly in a tight turn. There were people on the MV, whose jobs were to pay attention. Even on auto pilot, there is an at sea watch set. If they didn't feel the turns, they probably felt the change in the ride, even on a large vessel. However, nothing that happened on the MV should have any impact on what happened aboard the Fitz. That ship is capable of going anywhere in the world and protecting itself from any kind of threat, and it's expected to...No excuses! Forget what happened on the MV, the issue is what happened aboard Fitz.

While in complete agreement with all you've written there, I'll respectfully state that I'm in agreement with what Jorge wrote days ago, and am not "forgetting" a damned thing about that MV until the entire crew of the thing's had VERY rigorous back round checks run on em'.
Everyone from the skipper down to the cabin boy.

Something about this whole deal has STUNK from day one,.......and still DOES.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the skipper of the Fitzgerald ever wants another sea command, he had better buy his own boat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The MV was foreign flagged. It also had a foreign crew. There are standards that govern crew qualifications for ships entering US ports, but this ship was in international waters. The standards are whatever the owner of the ship decides they are. A background check on the crew would likely uncover information the employer wouldn't want to know. So they don't ask.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
So, nobody onboard the freighter got a clue it was doing a 180* turn at cruising speed?

More stink to that story than anything else...

The turn came after the collision

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The first turn from the normal course was the collision.
The U turn was almost 30 minutes later.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where's the radar report and collision warning bells? Was someone on duty at night?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think something happened to the Fitz that allowed it to get hit. Just to many things that had to go wrong all at the same time for something like this to happen, unless it was deliberate.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this app on my iPhone, it is pretty cool, I can see all the ships in the bay, know where they are going, what country they are from, destination, speed and course, it covers the whole world and the article is right, you can't believe the boat traffic in some places. Ir reports in real time.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ship-finder-lite/id324177409?mt=8

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't know about ships on the ocean, I've fished on the Great Lakes a bunch. Some of our trips are out on open water and in the shipping lanes. It's common knowledge that the freighters are running on autopilot and there's a good chance the pilot house is unoccupied. Not a big deal, they don't turn or stop on a dime...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All vessels are required to maintain a proper lookout.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The AIS tracking data for the Fitzgerald is something that a lot of people would like to see. Not sure if the Navy has released it (or if they will until the investigation is complete ..... and even then .... who knows??).

If you don't know what AIS is, here is some background info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fitzgerald

And that is why we all belonged to Naval Institute. A professional opinion well founded in experience.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fitzgerald

I stood bridge watch on Frigates while deploying as Detachment OIC. The Captain's standing order was to wake him if we came within 10 nm of any surface target. There was no way he was going to forfeit his career over a few hours sleep.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks - I will.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
...what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

I'm more of an Army guy, not a sailor.

But, seems to me this wasn't a career builder... blush

Put another way, the Navy puts you in charge of a billion dollar piece of equipment with crew. On your watch, said billion dollar asset gets T-boned by a huge freighter in open sea, killing 7 of your assigned, major damage to your assigned asset.

Even Army thinking would conclude that was pretty bad...

Board of Inquiry should be interesting.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What gets me is that on that date the moon was 56% illumination that night. They said it was clear. Rise was at 2330 on the 16th and set was 1114 on the 17th. How can your watches not see something the size of a container ship under those conditions?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Male sailor and female sailorette were on watch. The two began screwing there on the bridge, ten minutes later got T-boned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone come across the speeds of the two vessels at the time of the collision? I think I saw the merchant ship was doing 12-14 knots?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RufusG
Has anyone come across the speeds of the two vessels at the time of the collision? I think I saw the merchant ship was doing 12-14 knots?

Not sure about the Fitzgerald, but it looks like the Crystal was doing 17.3 knots.

See:

[Linked Image]

Can't find any AIS tracking data for the Fitzgerald. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it wasn't transmitting any AIS data at the time (but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been able to receive the Crystal's AIS data).

See:

http://www.vesselofinterest.com/2017/06/mapping-acx-crystals-collision-with-uss.html

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm sure one of the swabbies will correct me if i am wrong, but don't they have somebody manning a radar screen or something that should have seen that big fuggen boat way ahead of time?

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm sure one of the swabbies will correct me if i am wrong, but don't they have somebody manning a radar screen or something that should have seen that big fuggen boat way ahead of time?

The whole crew was preoccupied completing their online "Transgender Empathy " course...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

rem, I chuckled at 300 mags answer . . . sad but true . . . but yes there are plenty of crew and an officer on watch on the bridge with a radar screen showing all surface targets. There has to be something way out of the ordinary going on here.

I remember the USS Belknap Uss Kennedy collision in the Med that led to the court martial of both ship's captains. That was during pre-planned maneuvers, though. They towed the Belknap into Naval Station Rota Spain. I remember driving down to the pier one night, while on guard duty, and seeing that ghost ship, totally dark and eery, while all the other ships were lit up like Christmas trees.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/uss-belknap-collided-aircraft-carrier.html

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
kinda what i figgered but i'm an AF guy so what do i know?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kinda what i figgered but i'm an AF guy so what do i know?

It's just like airplanes but with one less dimension. laugh Unless it's a submarine, then it's just like airplanes with the canopy spray painted black.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

rem, I chuckled at 300 mags answer . . . sad but true . . . but yes there are plenty of crew and an officer on watch on the bridge with a radar screen showing all surface targets. There has to be something way out of the ordinary going on here.

I remember the USS Belknap Uss Kennedy collision in the Med that led to the court martial of both ship's captains. That was during pre-planned maneuvers, though. They towed the Belknap into Naval Station Rota Spain. I remember driving down to the pier one night, while on guard duty, and seeing that ghost ship, totally dark and eery, while all the other ships were lit up like Christmas trees.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/uss-belknap-collided-aircraft-carrier.html

Any idea why the Belknap turned?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m

My recollection is that the formation was in the process of doing some maneuver to port and the OOD misjudged the distance to the carrier and just got way ahead of himself.

ETA:
Actually, he got way behind himself. See page 17 of the pdf:
http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/investigations/USS%20KENNEDY%20AND%20BELKNAP%2075%20PT%202.pdf

Last edited by RufusG; 06/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m

Belknap was executing a Corpen port turn to maintain position on the Kennedy which had gone to flight quarters to recover. Belknap was approximately 1500 to 2000 yards starboard beam to the Kennedy when the Officer of the Deck (a Ltjg - 02) order a full left rudder, into the Kennedy. The Kennedy, at flight quarters (during hours of darkness) had turned on their red recovery lighting, so they were not visible to the inexperienced (maneuvering with carriers) bridge team. The Captain of the Belknap was not n the bridge, and was acquitted of all charges during his court martial, as was the captain of the Kennedy. The Belknap Captain did receive a Letter of Reprimand for failing to adequately train his bridge watch team in proper seamanship maneuvering with a carrier. Eight fatalities.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[bleep] happens, but with today's technology's this kid of [bleep] shouldn't ever happen... I've brought up a few Navy collisions in the past in threads here, but the Hum-Dinger is that that took place right close by here in California at Point Honda!

Link

Link

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody is without fault (legally) in a marine accident, unless not under-way legally.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the responses to my question.

And here is a new article saying the Fitzgerald didn't respond to warnings:

http://news.trust.org/item/20170626101937-6xsul

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The following are excerpts from the June 27, 2017 Yokosuka, Japan memorial service for seven sailors who died aboard USS Fitzgerald on June 17, 2017. Speaking are Adm. Scott Swift, commander U.S. Pacific Fleet and Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, commander U.S. 7th Fleet.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Preliminary report about the results of the collision, not the cause.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...t-of-the-fitzgeralds-catastrophe-at-sea/

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pure and simple, the cause was negligence by both parties. The captains' careers are toast in both instances. May not directly be their fault in either case, but it's their responsibility.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/17/17.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision
By Reuters August 17, 2017 | 6:40pm
Modal Trigger US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision

WASHINGTON – About a dozen U.S. sailors are expected to face punishment for a collision in June between the USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine cargo ship, including the warship’s commander officer and other senior leaders of the ship, the Navy said on Thursday.

USS Fitzgerald crew made 'slew' of mistakes before deadly crash: report
Admiral Bill Moran, deputy chief of naval operations, told reporters that the ship’s commanding officer, executive officer and master chief, would be removed from the vessel because “we’ve lost trust and confidence in their ability to lead.”

Moran said that in total close to a dozen sailors would face punishment without detailing the exact punishment. (Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by Sandra Maler)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision
By Reuters August 17, 2017 | 6:40pm
Modal Trigger US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision

WASHINGTON – About a dozen U.S. sailors are expected to face punishment for a collision in June between the USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine cargo ship, including the warship’s commander officer and other senior leaders of the ship, the Navy said on Thursday.

USS Fitzgerald crew made 'slew' of mistakes before deadly crash:
YaTHINK?? As most of us said from the get-go....

Although part of the crew punished might be the lookouts, it's more than possible that they dutifully informed the watch officer of the ship and that officer either hesitated to act, ignored the contact's bearing or was simply sleeping on the job...

I recall an op we were doing out at sea with a plane that was supposed to 'sneak' up on us while on the surface. Once spotted by the lookouts we were to dive as fast as possible and timed to see how quickly we got to periscope depth.. Nathan Hall spotted the plane and relayed the contact and position to the OOW who then called down to the OOD in the conning tower and asked if we should now dive...!!!!!!! Of course that delayed the dive by about 10+ seconds - and guess who got reamed by the Capt? Why, Hall, of course...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Although part of the crew punished might be the lookouts, it's more than possible that they dutifully informed the watch officer of the ship and that officer either hesitated to act"

That "should" all be recorded in the Ship's Log.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The co, xo and the command master chief were all relieved of their duties.
Reportedly some court marhalls may follow

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
12 are being punished with a career ending administrative punishment.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Although part of the crew punished might be the lookouts, it's more than possible that they dutifully informed the watch officer of the ship and that officer either hesitated to act"

That "should" all be recorded in the Ship's Log.

As a an author friend says, "The log is a good place to start". Accenting the "should" and the "start".

Retired cat herder.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Fitzgerald

Excellent and well written explanation of command structure and environment at sea. A ship's captain can not be on the bridge 24/7 and needs to sleep, eat and unwind. A tremendous level of responsibility is placed in the hands of young and junior people; this is what makes them great leaders - the responsibility and discipline. Unfortunately a single screw-up damages careers and endangers lives.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes but it is the Commanding Officer who in his judgment, grants the CDO Underway status to his subordinates. That is why it doesn't matter if he's in the crapper giving birth to a democrat, the fault will always lie with the CO>

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I wonder if any of those responsible on the Kennedy attained their rank with PC, affirmative action promotions?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes but it is the Commanding Officer who in his judgment, grants the CDO Underway status to his subordinates. That is why it doesn't matter if he's in the crapper giving birth to a democrat, the fault will always lie with the CO>

Aircraft commanders and ship captains are held responsible for everything under their command period. Too bad politicians aren't held to such a standard.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.