Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It still doesn't explain why the Fitzgerald didn't make an evasive move. Also is their an international frequency that the crew could have used in an attempt to contact the freighter?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Certainly makes you question the "readiness" of a destroyer that can't evade a 730 ft cargo ship. Might be more "excusable" if they were in a really tight area, but it sounds as if there was plenty of room for evasive maneuvers by the Fitzgerald.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, nobody onboard the freighter got a clue it was doing a 180* turn at cruising speed?

More stink to that story than anything else...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Look at the freighter's apparent track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1b58yelh_c

Looks a bit odd.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm not a sailor but I noticed how high the container ship is riding. I'm sure there's a reason.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
From the article:

"Commercial ship autopilot systems normally require someone to input manually the course for the ship travel. The computer program then steers the ship by controlling the steering gear to turn the rudder.

The system also can be synchronized with an electronic chart system to allow the program to follow courses of a voyage plan."

"Private naval analyst Steffan Watkins said the course data indicates the ship was running on autopilot. "The ACX Crystal powered out of the deviation it performed at 1:30, which was likely the impact with the USS Fitzgerald, pushing it off course while trying to free itself from being hung on the bow below the waterline," Watkins told the Free Beacon.

The ship then continued to sail on for another 15 minutes, increasing speed before eventually reducing speed and turning around. "This shows the autopilot was engaged because nobody would power out of an accident with another ship and keep sailing back on course. It’s unthinkable," he added.

Watkins said the fact that the merchant ship hit something and did not radio the coast guard for almost 30 minutes also indicates no one was on the bridge at the time of the collision."

More or less what I said back on the 18th. in this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12094901/5

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There is an EXCELLENT article in Proceedings, written by a Navy Captain who commanded three cruisers and sailed those seas. Look for the operative words or phrases: "bridge clilmate", CO's standing orders, burden of command, etc.

Fitzgerald

My current boss happens to be a retired Navy Commander. He said that the Fitzgerald was the give way vessel in this situation, was required to take evasive action to avoid collision.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Fitzgerald

My current boss happens to be a retired Navy Commander. He said that the Fitzgerald was the give way vessel in this situation, was required to take evasive action to avoid collision.

Yep - that's SOP in similar situations..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Fitzgerald

Good read. Check out Commander Salamanders blog also.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get me straight on this. The "U" turn made was 25 minutes before the collision?

Looking at the track makes me think something went haywire in the guidance system. If you are below decks and a ship this size turns it is very likely you would not feel it, especially if you are asleep.

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/23/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The answer I think, is somewhere in the issues the author raised:
Bridge climate (CO's leadership style)
Indecision of the OOD to take action given the verbal and visual clues been fed to him
lack of communication on the bridge.
Bottom line, if there is doubt, the Officer on watch MUST make the CO aware with sufficient time to make the call. ITS HIS SHIP AND HIS NECK.

To wit: During my last operational deployment (Enduring Freedom) in 2002 on board the JFK (CV 67), we ostensibly turned day into night, in other words almost all our flight ops were conducted after dark so during daylight hours, the CO/XO and most all Department heads slept. As the senior CDR on board and Command Duty Officer (Underway) qualified (and also as Air Officer), I volunteered to stay up and be available for the OOD should an issue arise before calling the Old Man.

We had a CH-53 inbound from the Beach (we were in the Indian Ocean right up against Pakistan with parts) when he declared an emergency about 30 minutes out. The Flight Deck was being "re-spotted" for the evening launch and although the flight deck was pretty much closed, the Landing Area (LA) was open as the E-2C Hawkeyes stayed up into daylight hours and it was about an hour out. I was in the CO's chair on the bridge and the AIr Boss was getting ready to clear the 53 and I objected. What if the 53 lands, [bleep] the bed, clobbers the LA leaving little or no time for a re-spot before the E-2 showed up? At that time E-2s had no in flight refueling and would not have enough fuel to "BINGO" to the beach. So the options were, bet on the come the 53 could land with enough time to move him out of the way, or pitch it over the side, or gamble on the E-2. First words oout of my mouth to the OOD and Flight Deck Control was "CALL THE CAPTAIN". HIS SHIP HIS CALL. Oh, the helo landed but with enough time we were able to shove it far enough to clear the "foul line" and had a "Green Deck" for the E-2. :::SIGH::: now I'm depressed.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I honestly can't think of anything more depending than being the captain of a ship.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Fitzgerald

That certainly is an excellent article.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Ours is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

As an aside, what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read what I wrote above or better yet, the link to the article. Several possible causal factors.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MinnKota, cool, I have Auto pilot too

1/504 PIR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Sorry for the ignorance as I am at best an amateur sailor - but in those conditions why should one now really care what odd things the commercial ship did? Our is supposed to be, far and away, the finest navy ever. So, is there any simple and sensible explanation/reason for why our warship could not avoid this bangup?

As an aside, what will be the likely consequences for the Capt. and top crew?

It would not be the first time the navy didn't quite think it through....lol
https://youtu.be/_VHXRYXzEVU

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: Bizarre course of the freighter leading up to the collision with U-turns, circles, stops, back-ups and numerous cousre changes!
WTF!
Still this collision should NEVER have happened.
Massive negligence on the parts of both ship commanders/pilots!
Thankfully more people were not killed.
Puzzling how this could even possibly have occurred but it DID!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Read what I wrote above or better yet, the link to the article. Several possible causal factors.

Pretty much what my boss said. You've got two independant watches onboard a ship. They BOTH fűucked up.

Something about too much partying at the last port...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.