Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wonder, like alcohol, how many more accidents go unreported? Especially all those fender benders in the grocery parking lots when stopping for munchies....

A recent insurance study links increased car crash claims to legalized recreational marijuana.

The Highway Loss Data Institute, a leading insurance research group, said in study results released Thursday that collision claims in Colorado, Washington, and Oregon went up 2.7 percent in the years since legal recreational marijuana sales began when compared with surrounding states.

Legal recreational pot sales in Colorado began in January 2014, followed six months later in Washington, and in October 2015 in Oregon.

"We believe that the data is saying that crash risk has increased in these states and those crash risks are associated with the legalization of marijuana," said Matt Moore, senior vice president with the institute, which analyzes insurance data to observe emerging auto-safety trends.

Mason Tvert, a marijuana legalization advocate and communications director with the Marijuana Policy Project, questioned the study's comparison of claims in rural states such as Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana with Colorado, Oregon and Washington that have dense population centers and how that affected the study's findings.

"The study raises more questions than it provides answers, and it's an area that would surely receive more study, and deservedly so," Tvert said.

Researchers accounted for factors such as the number of vehicles on the road in the study and control states, age and gender of drivers, weather and even whether the driver making a claim was employed. Neighboring states with similar fluctuations in claims were used for comparison.

Insurance industry groups have been keeping a close watch on claims when auto accidents across the country began to go up in 2013 after more than a decade of steady decline. Insurance companies found several possible factors at play in the spike that included distracted driving through texting or cellphone use, road construction, and an improved economy that has led to leisurely drives and more miles driven, as well as marijuana legalization.

"It would appear, probably not to anyone's surprise, that the use of marijuana contributes to crashes," said Kenton Brine, president of the industry group Northwest Insurance Council that represents companies in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. He added: "It would be difficult to say that marijuana is a definitive factor, lacking a citation, in a significant number of crashes to say that what we're seeing here is a trend."

The Highway Loss Data Institute said its study examined claims from January 2012 to October 2016.

"The problem here is that it's a pretty new experience," said Carole Walker of the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association, an industry group that covers Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico. "This is the first study that has been able to isolate legal pot as one of the factors."

Eight states and Washington, D.C., have legalized recreational marijuana for adults.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety spokesman Russ Rader adds that alcohol impairment remains one of the biggest concerns on the road.

"While we have proven countermeasures, proven strategies for reducing alcohol impaired driving, there are a lot of unanswered questions about marijuana and driving," Rader said.

A study released last year by AAA's safety foundation found legal THC limits established by states with legal marijuana have no scientific basis and can result in innocent drivers being convicted, and guilty drivers being released.

Moore of the Highway Loss Data Institute said they hope the study's findings will be considered by lawmakers and regulators in states where marijuana legalization is under consideration or recently enacted.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Colorado's population has grown between 7-8% in that same period. You don't think the insurance industry would look for ways to jack up rates, do you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know, that insurance companies covering Oregon seem to be able to use any reason under the sun
to raise rates and the State always has no issues with that... liberal democRATS.

the people who don't understand the concept that there are only 100 pennies in a dollar...

not 200, or 300 or 500 or what ever fits their conveniences...

but hey, how many campfire members were pounding me on line, telling me that legalization
of dope was a good thing, and it was totally a victimless crime, and how good and progressive
it was for states to legalize it...

higher insurance costs, is a good thing... for my state, my community, and my family!
( yeah, right!)

Screw dope and especially those that supported its legalization.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Colorado's population has grown between 7-8% in that same period. You don't think the insurance industry would look for ways to jack up rates, do you?

My nephew in Aurora tells me that the most popular bumper sticker says "California must be out of Ass-oles because they all moved here."

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

Not sure who you're talking about, I sure didn't support it. My only point was, if the population went up 7+ percent here, and the number of insurance claims went up 2.7%, I don't think you can draw the conclusions that they drew from the data.

It's called "science."

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

That might be part of it, the other part of it might the availability of edibles.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[/quote]Screw dope and especially those that supported its legalization.

Not sure who you're talking about, I sure didn't support it. My only point was, if the population went up 7+ percent here, and the number of insurance claims went up 2.7%, I don't think you can draw the conclusions that they drew from the data.

It's called "science."
[/quote]

wasn't aimed at you Phil...

my comments were aimed at my own state legalizing that crap...

already getting my insurance renewals which renew in July...

rates are going up... they are open its about dope legalization and more claims because of it.

just more liberal BS, that everybody else has to pay for...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Researchers accounted for factors such as the number of vehicles on the road in the study and control states, age and gender of drivers, weather and even whether the driver making a claim was employed. Neighboring states with similar fluctuations in claims were used for comparison.

Last edited by RWE; 06/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's called "science."

Exactly, population goes up and so do the accidents...a convenient scapegoat for bad drivers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My good retired military friend just moved to Key West. He went to Colorado when it was legalized with a plan. He drove around all day in his truck slamming on brakes in front of texting weed heads. It made him an absolute fortune.

His morals are between him and God but its the truth as I know it.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RWE

How'd they do that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can skew the data to say anything you want.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The conclusion that legal dope causes more accidents and causes insurance to go up is a load of crap. It's just an excuse to raise rates. What about legal alcohol,legal prescription drugs, and illegal drugs. I guess none of those cause accidents. What all you knuckleheads fail to understand that pot smokers will smoke whether legal or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tell you that a huge chunk of Wyoming's population, including the University of Wyoming, is within easy driving distance of Colorado pot shops, so I find it miraculous that Wyoming has not been impacted by this alleged uptick in accidents plaguing Colorado if legal marijuana is the cause.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
e
Originally Posted by RWE

How'd they do that?

Well it's kind of cheeky that you ask me, since I wasn't a member of the statisticians, but if it were me, I would have compared the dope legal states with a population increase to other non dope legal states with a population increase and the difference in accident rates between the two I would assume was in part caused by dope.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
2.7% increase is negligible and considering many other factors might indicate a decrease in claims. In other words the article is illustrating that legalization has had no impact and may in fact indicate that legalization has decreased accidents and claims. Stoners are much safer than drunks so the article has a basis in reality. 2.7% lol 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
2.7% increase is negligible and considering many other factors might indicate a decrease in claims. In other words the article is illustrating that legalization has had no impact and may in fact indicate that legalization has decreased accidents and claims. Stoners are much safer than drunks so the article has a basis in reality. 2.7% lol 😂

Lol. 2.7% seems to mean a lot during some of the elections. Like Michigan and Florida among others. Lol

Penn and Wisconsin too.

2.7% may be significant...

Last edited by RWE; 06/23/17.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I know, that insurance companies covering Oregon seem to be able to use any reason under the sun
to raise rates and the State always has no issues with that... liberal democRATS.

I'm sure you're correct but I'll point out that my state of Mississippi is about as conservative as you get and they still do the same thing. The insurance companies use any excuse to jack up rates and the state insurance commission never stops them. I think it's the same in all states, a few well placed contributions to the insurance commissioner's campaign (they're elected here) and a few paid for fact finding trips to the Bahamas results in a very compliant regulatory agency. Meanwhile the big insurance companies are putting up buildings that rival the Roman Forum as fast as they can build them in Madison, the high rent suburb of Jackson.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RWE
e
Originally Posted by RWE

How'd they do that?

Well it's kind of cheeky that you ask me, since I wasn't a member of the statisticians, but if it were me, I would have compared the dope legal states with a population increase to other non dope legal states with a population increase and the difference in accident rates between the two I would assume was in part caused by dope.

Sounds like settled science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The conclusion that legal dope causes more accidents and causes insurance to go up is a load of crap. It's just an excuse to raise rates. What about legal alcohol,legal prescription drugs, and illegal drugs. I guess none of those cause accidents. What all you knuckleheads fail to understand that pot smokers will smoke whether legal or not.
But Colorado, et al, have experienced an influx of stoners from other states. I know people who have moved to a pot state just for the weed.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.