Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Looks like bear spray didn't help. Gal was only married for 2 weeks.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/201...im-of-fatal-interior-black-bear-mauling/

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Pretty bad ass black bear.

Damn shame they weren't armed. An magazine full out of an old government model should have been enough to prevent that situation.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting in a way. Contradicts(duh) reports it was a grizz and that they were not allowed to carry firearms..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grizzly bear country and not allowed firearms. Something is wrong with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I call a lot of game in with my FoxPro..... Everything I seen…… has /always came from behind the speaker ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Looks like bear spray didn't help. /

From the article
"It happened so fast that neither woman had time to deploy bear spray initially, Murphy said. Trainor reportedly sprayed the black bear twice, he said, which likely saved her life."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Also from the article

"ABR employees are offered bear awareness training. Johnson and Trainor had gone through the most recent training in April, Murphy said. And the company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo instruction, he said."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some guys I went black bear hunting with in BC had a friend stalked and eaten by a black bear. Could tell from the track that the guy was trying to keep a tree between him and the bear. Didn't work.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steve
Some guys I went black bear hunting with in BC had a friend stalked and eaten by a black bear. Could tell from the track that the guy was trying to keep a tree between him and the bear. Didn't work.

I think when black bears get it on their mind to go after something they are set on it. Friend of mine shot one a couple of years ago while deer hunting in GA. He was in a climbing tree stand bow hunting. Bear saw him and started climbing the tree. He yelled, waved, etc while it was climbing and kicked at it when it got to the bottom on the stand which caused it to go back down the tree. Kept looking at him and started up the tree again so he leaned over the edge of the stand and shot it. He said it was a headache going through the deal with game wardens but they agreed he should have shot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
"ABR employees are offered bear awareness training. Johnson and Trainor had gone through the most recent training in April, Murphy said. And the company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo instruction, he said."

A long time back when I worked for ABR, I carried a Garand in the field with me. Whether it would have helped in an instance like this, who knows? But in an instance out in the Endicott field, it worked right well :-)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting in a way. Contradicts(duh) reports it was a grizz and that they were not allowed to carry firearms..

ABR employees are offered bear awareness training. Johnson and Trainor had gone through the most recent training in April, Murphy said. And the company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo instruction, he said.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Read to the bottom of the article.

ABR employees are offered bear awareness training. Johnson and Trainor had gone through the most recent training in April, Murphy said. And the company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo instruction, he said.

The group choose not to carry.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've got a question about bear spray....why is it pepper based??? Why not skunk???

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Looks like bear spray didn't help. /

From the article
"It happened so fast that neither woman had time to deploy bear spray initially, Murphy said. Trainor reportedly sprayed the black bear twice, he said, which likely saved her life."

Also from the article, ONE DEAD. Bear continually returned.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by rost495

Thats exactly what I said. Early reports said it was a grizzly, and they could not carry firearms.

This report contradicts that, it was a black bear and they could carry firearms.......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
And from another article.

"Murphy said the bear was 10 feet (3 meters) away when the women first saw it.

“The conclusion would be that they were stalked,” he said.

Trainor, a research biologist, was knocked down first, according to Murphy. The woman used bear deterrent spray at some point to no avail. He didn’t know if Johnson, a biological technician, was able to use her bear spray.

The animal briefly retreated, but it came back, Murphy said.

“The bear moved between them more than once, and Ellen is certain that she sprayed the bear very thoroughly,” he said. “But it was just a hyper-aggressive bear.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...319da7_story.html?utm_term=.23a9f3019a2b

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I've got a question about bear spray....why is it pepper based??? Why not skunk???

I suppose for the same reason it is used as an attractant in trapping lures.

It's offensive to human olfactory senses, but not other animals.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And pepper oils burn mucous membranes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"There was some duration to the attacks. Erin suffered the brunt of it," Murphy said."

That had to be awful.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sad story. I only trust guns when it comes to Bears. And stories like this further convince me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.