24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A couple of months back I got a lot of help from members here in solving the loose lever problem on my 1895 Savage. I have been a little slow posting the results as spring always gets busy around here, but here it is. After getting the mechanical side working right I decided to do a little bit with the cosmetic side. The rifle has been reblued and likely the barrel was shortened to 24". However the stock does not seem refinished. It has both the "M" and "JM" stamps, as well as an "R" of unknown purpose or origin on the bottom of the stock. I sent the lever and butt plate off to Wyoming Armory in Cody to have them color case hardened, to give the rifle some contrast and have a more original appearance. Now she looks and works like a champ. Wyoming Armory got the parts back to me within a week and a half, and did the Savage parts as well as a sack full of Smith and Wesson parts for less than $100! Great service and prices, friendly folks and very highly recommended. The case colors are muted, not too flashy, which I prefer. Pretty good project for under $800. And a good shooter to boot. Here are some pics. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and help.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/hjhuts/library/1895%20Savage

Picked up a super nice 26" barrel 1899A with a perchbelly stock and semi fancy wood on the butt stock on GB last month - can't get enough of them Savages...

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looks good

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering what you started with you did good.
Thanks for the follow up post!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, it does look good.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, that's a looker! I'd say the muted color case hardening suits the rifle perfect. I'll have to check out Wyoming Armory.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Really terrific!!

Thanks for followup.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Count me green with envy, nice rifle, very good job bringing it back up to full function and curb appeal

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work indeed! Thanks for sharing.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cool.

LOL
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Back in 09 when I first discovered this forum there was a thread on restored 99s. I've often thought it would be interesting reviving that thread so members could show off their handiwork. I have nothing to contribute right now as the closest project of mine was stolen in a break in several years ago. But still, it would be interesting seeing what's been done by other members as it might inspire me to finish up the 99F TD and 40 Super Sporter restocking jobs I've had sitting around for too long. It may inspire others too.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Id send for a letter, you never know when the barrel length is factory. I bought, at significant risk, an 1899CD with a 24 barrel and it lettered as such. The gun had high original condition and some other features that made me believe it was likely factory but it was still a big gamble... luckily it paid off. Your 1895 is now quite beautiful, I have a similarly restored 1895 and really enjoy it. Cheers

Andrew
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
Back in 09 when I first discovered this forum there was a thread on restored 99s. I've often thought it would be interesting reviving that thread so members could show off their handiwork. I have nothing to contribute right now as the closest project of mine was stolen in a break in several years ago. But still, it would be interesting seeing what's been done by other members as it might inspire me to finish up the 99F TD and 40 Super Sporter restocking jobs I've had sitting around for too long. It may inspire others too.

Do a search for "tinkerbell" all sorts of 99 remodel stuff will get dredged up

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffG

I get what you are saying but I'm more interested in restorations than remodels. And besides I think Roy has taken enough heat already - just in jest.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG

I get what you are saying but I'm more interested in restorations than remodels. And besides I think Roy has taken enough heat already - just in jest.

cry laugh laugh

Andrew
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You guys need some Krylon and ceracoat this morning do ya?

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer my Krylon with two lumps of sugar. Again, it's all in jest and dare I say this in front of the guys on this forum but I've liked some of your projects.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That turned out fantastic!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.