Campfire Ranger
D
Who designed this thing, ISIS?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For the number of pictures of kinetic pullers that have forcefully disassembled, I am surprised that they are still made. Perhaps people are using them with their fingers on the trigger.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Primer is still in orbit somewhere. I'm going to watch for it tonight at dusk and make a wish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After pulling maybe a couple dozen bullets total I just got tired of it. I had bullets loaded in cartridges I no longer owned a rifle for on my reloading bench for a few years cause I hated getting my hammer on to get them. So for Christmas my wife got my a collette puller......where had this been all my life. Took no time at all to pull the 100 or so rounds apart that I made up from a 260 I sold so I could use the bullets in my 6.5.

I still have my inertia puller but no plans to ever use it again. smile

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
What brand collet puller? Does it disfigure the bullets?

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I use the hornady collet puller. There are several on the market but the hornady has a flip over lever that makes tightening the collet much easier and quicker than the other brands that you have to screw in to get the collet tight. If it's properly set up it won't disfigure the bullets enough to make any difference, it'll leave a light mark on it but it hasn't affected accuracy in any that I've shot. If I were shooting competitive benchrest I might not want to use bullets that had been pulled, but for any normal use they're fine after they've been pulled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Bullet-Puller-without-Collet/dp/B000N8N1YQ

Of course you gotta by the collets for each caliber at $5-$6 each but now pulling bullets is not a dreaded operation as I can pull 3-4 bullets per min vs. 1 per 3-4 minutes with the inertia one. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Bullet-Puller-without-Collet/dp/B000N8N1YQ

Of course you gotta by the collets for each caliber at $5-$6 each but now pulling bullets is not a dreaded operation as I can pull 3-4 bullets per min vs. 1 per 3-4 minutes with the inertia one. smile

Thanks for that link as I found some helpful info in one of the reviews: if you can't find a 6mm collet, [there should be some from RCBS], 6mm = .234 caliber, so email RCBS and ask what caliber collet is closest, (probably .25 caliber), that's only .016 smaller and the collet opens up a LOT bigger than that. whistle

Seriously though, I have the RCBS collet puller too and has never not worked. The Hornady cam-style may be slicker, I don't know. Regarding price of collets, I just got a couple from Midway that I paid $10 each for, on sale. Do you have a source for them at $5-$6?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And yeah, I had one go off the last time I used an inertia puller too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry I guess they were more than they thought but amazon has them for all for $10 with free shipping even to Alaska unlike Midway smile

Even this little elusive devil:
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9421-Bu...5180&sr=8-8&keywords=rcbs+collet

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My collet puller paid for itself when I had 800 rounds of Garand ammo loaded with defective WLR primers. I couldn't even imagine doing that job with a kinetic.

I did a hundred or so a weekend without fuss. Winchester bought my primers back and paid for the new bolt I put in my Garand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have the RCBS, but the I believe the Hornady may have a better setup for tightening the collet. Looking at your puller, I am surprised that you used the piece that came with it and had the incident. Every one I have heard of up to this point had a shellholder involved.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The inertia type puller is the biggest piece of chit ever designed. Every new hand loader should listen up and only buy the collet type pullers. Money well spent IMHO... I use the RCBS collet type puller and it has worked very well on every damn thing I've tried it on, including 800 8mm mauser my dad thought he was getting a heck of a good deal on. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have run into one instance where the inertia puller was necessary. That was disassembling some .45-70 loads that were not very uniform, and the bullets were LBT hardcasts. The collet could not grip until the bullet was partially out of the case, so I had to start the bullet out with the inertia and finish with the collet. Much neater, no granules of powder in the lube.

Other than that situation, I completely agree with your assessment of the inertia puller.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
^^^^That's good info to know. I guess after buying the inertia type puller (RCBS) and breaking it after the first few whacks on the wood work bench, I had some serious doubts about what it was good for.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I use the Forster collet puller with very good results. No marring of billets.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Who designed this thing, ISIS?

[Linked Image]

I don't know if it is a contributing factor, but it looks like you have the split ring in there upside down.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
'I don't know if it is a contributing factor, but it looks like you have the split ring in there upside down."

That's what I was thinking.

I use regular shell holders in using this tool instead of the split ring.

Never had an issue but I guess there is always a first time.

I always wear shooting glasses when operating it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never an issue with mine, but I don't run commercial numbers of cartridges through it either.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Primer is still in orbit somewhere. I'm going to watch for it tonight at dusk and make a wish.

Glad nobody was hurt, but this cracked me up.......!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.