Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably ran over a briar or something. 6 year old atv maybe 130 hours. Tires have plenty of tread left. The leak is too slow for me to find. Really don't want to put slime in it... any other options?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Honda is leaking at the valve core. New one does not fix it, nor will a cap keep it up for long. Never knew those parts wore out until now. Hard to replace and I am trying to get by until I buy new tires. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One option is to put a tube in it. Assuming it is tubeless like my ATVs are.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slime or Berrymans.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just spend a few $ and take it to a tire shop so they can tank it. Some small leaks only show up under water. If it's been on there for 6 years, you could have a tiny crack in the valve stem or maybe a bit of sand that's worked it way under the bead.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
thanks all

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try replacing valve stem. Sometimes they get crudded up. Sometimes the rim at the bead corrodes.Tire shops a can put bead sealer on it .
Pay the $20 and have a tire shop fix it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've fixed so many atv tires with leaks, my Rhino had one that was tough to fix, it took 4 plugs to stop it. Just put a plug in it, it's simple to do and works great. Whenever I have a leak, I spray the hell out of the tire with some soapy water and always manage to find the leak no matter how small it is. Also, carry a tire plug kit with you and an air pump, if you have a cigarette lighter plug consider carrying one of those small electric air pumps.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand the aversion to Slime. There is so much cactus and goatheads here, that you'd be running all 4 flats all the time without it in every tire...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't understand the aversion to Slime. There is so much cactus and goatheads here, that you'd be running all 4 flats all the time without it in every tire...

I use it when I have to,but sure cuss it when it is time to take the tire off the wheel and replace it.
In New Mexico where I had goat heads and sand burrs I thought it was the best invention made

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My garden tractor has more Slime than air. I don't think my wheelbarrow has any room left for air. So far I haven't needed it on my UTV.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use slime on everything that has tires. No problem dismounting them when it is time for new ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cussed goatshead. There's a lot of it here, too. I used to work for a seed company and we had lots of it on the place. I'd sometimes bring it home on my tires. I kept constant watch for it in the driveway and when I found one, I'd get down on my knees to pick up every seed. It worked and I haven't seen any on my place since I retired 4 years ago.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Yep. Slime it for a slow leak.

Plug a big leak.

Don't waste your time at a tire shop.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Put a tube in it

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
this reminds me of one I saw in an ad years ago. It was a tire inflator that ran off a car engine. You pulled a spark plug and screwed it in the hole. It filled the tire from the cylinder. You probably don't need to be told what ended up inside the tire but you didn't want to be smoking when you checked the tire pressure.
I doubt they were on the market for long.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
this reminds me of one I saw in an ad years ago. It was a tire inflator that ran off a car engine. You pulled a spark plug and screwed it in the hole. It filled the tire from the cylinder. You probably don't need to be told what ended up inside the tire but you didn't want to be smoking when you checked the tire pressure.

I know an Alaskan who built his own version of that tool. He used it many times and loved it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I had one of those. It did work and it got me out of a jam once. Kinda hot though when you wanted to remove it from the plug hole.Then I got one of the first battery operated compressors to use in emergencies,but you had to charge thru the cig. lighter. I recall the battery went bad before I ever use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soapy water never doesn't work for locating. Keep in mind that some leaks in low pressure tire can be 'sometimes' leaks. Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't, so move the tire around some.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Geez, we must be about the same age. I remember that add. Dad thought it bunk right off the bat.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmbrfan, 2500HD, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.