Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Some people have no family.

The military didn't know what to do when I put no one down as next of kin to notify/get payments etc. I told them I had no family, but they just couldn't stand an empty block.

Some people have a difficult time understanding that some of us have NO family.

Understood. One of my earlier mobilizations was snafu'ed because I could not tell them where my (first) wife was. Didn't know. Sagebrush mentioned that frustration.

Blanket: If he needs it; if he earned it! Get it for him and not the slackers who play the system. Try to make the VA work like it is supposed to; else then look like Sagebrush said, into non-VA organizations. Church helps some guys.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad just had a first name and a last name. The Army could not stand that so they gave him a middle initial. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Follow your instincts. Help who you can. Don't get played.

As much as it pains me to say it, look what happened to Chris Kyle.

I believe many of the vets with mental problems were f'd up long before they joined up.

I joined the Marines in 1979, and did 25+ years. I knew a lot of Vietnam Marines who went through hell, and were still the very best.

As already stated, everybody handles stress differently. But beware, there are a lot of hustlers out there.

A few bad apples can sure screw up the works for those really in need........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry, I did not mean any disparity to those who have no family. I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps during and after the Korean War and some of my buddies did not have family either, except the Corps. Please accept my apology.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Does the Marine get any benefits? How does he pay for the motel? I figure that and minimal food would be at least $20,000 a year. If he's on some kind of disability, does the agency who pays him do any counseling, etc.? (Don't know, just asking.) If not I suspect I know where he gets money and what he did time for, and I'd run like hell.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Does the Marine get any benefits? How does he pay for the motel? I figure that and minimal food would be at least $20,000 a year. If he's on some kind of disability, does the agency who pays him do any counseling, etc.? (Don't know, just asking.) If not I suspect I know where he gets money and what he did time for, and I'd run like hell.

If he went through the VA process before he got out he probably rates some sort of disability but if he moves a lot it is somewhat cumbersome and lengthy to get the VA to be responsive or timely. I just retired last year and I'm still sorting out using the VA for medical stuff.

Good on you for taking the time to talk with the Marine. I feel pretty lucky in that my current job I am surrounded by a lot of the same dudes I worked with while on active duty and other like minded folks.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.